Do peer-runner "watchers" have some kind of emotional disorder?

pseudoware

When you go on excursions with the same people the coach is typically held up by the same people. You return from the jaunt round town, museum or whatever and sit in the coach for fifteen minutes until half past and it is the time for the coach to return to the ship. Unfortunately the same couple always turn up at quarter to the next hour so forty people sit there like lemons waiting for the same people. This happens a lot and it's the same people holding the coach up while you wait. Then they arrive walk on nonchalantly without a care in the world holding everyone up. During the waiting period a sort of dislike; to put it mildly builds up in the minds of those waiting.

Regards John

I remember one cruise where there were 2 people always late. We nicknamed them blue and white because that was what they always wore. On shore excursions we made it a point never to be on the same bus with them.

Unfortunately,in St. Petersburg we were on the same bus. Every other bus had left except ours. The 2 finally sauntered on, the first to cheers and smiling to acknowledge them. By the time the last one stumbled on board, I had had it. I said," it is about time". She said, "I could not find the bus"

I looked around and said,"everyone else found the bus". She then said, "I must be stupid". I looked at her and said, "you are right", to the cheers of everyone on the bus.

I have mellowed since then, and would not think of doing it now.

I've heard some cruisers plan these "events" into their days, checking out embarkation times, staking out optimal viewing areas, etc.

Innocent fun or deviant behavior?

I feel really bad for people who miss the ship and all the nightmare and financial loss they have to endure as a result, so I can't imagine stalking optimal viewing areas specifically for that purpose. Sounds a little insecure to me.

But that said, I have been on my balcony for sail away and seen pier runners. Despite what I said, when people are stumbling down the pier in Cozumel wearing ballon hats shaped like genitalia or other weird things, obviously wasted, and all the passengers on board are heckling them, I have to admit that it makes me laugh.....if they actually make the ship.

Edited by Aquahound

People love to watch other people's misfortunes. They can claim to be good church going , law abiding , charitable folks all they want and maybe even they are . But there is something about it that makes a person say "Hmmmm my life isn't so great , but at least I am not going through THAT"

One poster mentioned why all the reality, courtroom ,Lifetime, Jerry Springer type shows have been on for so many years . Call them crap all you want . But someone is watching them or there wouldn't be so many of them on the air for so many years.

Who doesn't enjoy when a big celebrity or politician gets caught in a scandal and makes his big teary eyed press conference . Last week he/she was a rich arrogant a hole who walked round like his didn't stink and now they are on TV crying and begging for forgiveness.. Makes for great entertainment. Everyone from the talk show hosts , to the Saturday Night live skits, to the guy around the water cooler at work have a joke about it.

I mean come on , obviously Op made a typo with PEER runner, But everyone had to jump on that.

What's next calling out "Four Eyes", Brace Face , and Fatty Fatty Two by Four

I don't think there's complete overlap. I hate reality TV, but I love to watch for latecomers on a cruise. I don't gloat when they don't make it, I don't jeer or catcall, but I do love the drama, and I'm thrilled when they make it on board at the last minute!

Seriously, a lot of people just like to watch preparations for sail-away from the comfort of their balconies which are on the side of the ship alongside the pier: the pilot being dropped off, hauling in the gangway, the line-handlers releasing the mooring lines, and the first movement of the ship as the thrusters push it away from the pier. As long as you are there, it is hard not to notice someone trying to get aboard at the last minute; so thee is nothing sadistic about it.

I feel really bad for people who miss the ship and all the nightmare and financial loss they have to endure as a result, so I can't imagine stalking optimal viewing areas specifically for that purpose. Sounds a little insecure to me.

But that said, I have been on my balcony for sail away and seen pier runners. Despite what I said, when people are stumbling down the pier in Cozumel wearing ballon hats shaped like genitalia or other weird things, obviously wasted, and all the passengers on board are heckling them, I have to admit that it makes me laugh.....if they actually make the ship.

I think that the people who get into that situation deserve everything that they get. Unless there is an emergency, it doesn't take a lot of effort to get back on time. They also deserve to have the ship pull away just as they are getting close.

Call me harsh but if I and 3999 other people can get back on time, why can't them. Missing stuff might teach them a lesson.

We have a friend whom we joke will be late for her own funeral. One time she was going on a trip and got to the airport after boarding time but before the plane left. They did not let her on board. As a result, a connecting flight was missed and a day of her vacation was lost.

She has not done that again,

DON

Do posters on these boards who make snarky comments on how others on a ship use their time have some kind of emotional disorder?

I don't see comments here about how people use their time ON board. It is those that hold up the people that are ON board. The thread IS about pier runners, after all. If you don't want to hear both sides of the issue, don't read the thread. No need to put people down by saying the have an emotional disorder either. Doesn't speak kindly of you.

I don't see comments here about how people use their time ON board. It is those that hold up the people that are ON board. The thread IS about pier runners, after all. If you don't want to hear both sides of the issue, don't read the thread. No need to put people down by saying the have an emotional disorder either. Doesn't speak kindly of you.

Read the thread title. The thread is about those who enjoy watching people who miss or nearly miss the boat.

Go back and read the original post #1. I was just turning the comment back to that person.

If our balcony faces the pier we do like to watch the pier runners. But we are one of the few who clap and cheer to welcome them back. We would hate for anyone to be left behind whether or not it was because they were too drunk to make it back or a car theymight have rented broke down.

I have never bothered to watch if anyone is late, I'm usually taking pictures or we are busy elsewhere. It is always obvious when they start calling names.

On Vision there were some people late twice and Captain Marek made a public announcement warning them to not let it happen again, and rightfully so.

It's hard to take pleasure in the unfortunate situation of another.

LuLu

I would never take pleasure in seeing someone miss the ship.

But if someone choses to get trashed in a bar and then late who are obviously staggering along the pier, I see no problem in heckling them.

It is not unfortunate for them to be in that position, it was a choice.

ex techie

I would never take pleasure in seeing someone miss the ship.

But if someone choses to get trashed in a bar and then late who are obviously staggering along the pier, I see no problem in heckling them.

It is not unfortunate for them to be in that position, it was a choice.

ex techie

Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is that [pier or peer runners] are stupid and make bad decisions.

Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is that [pier or peer runners] are stupid and make bad decisions.

I agree! But it is pier, not peer! lol!

make stupid decisions to get drunk, expect to be made fun of whether on the PIER or poolside, or in karaoke, the night club.....

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie