What SHOULD HAL's dress code be on Gala night?

The-Inside-Cabin

If I were CEO and had to come up with Gala Night dress code I would simply use this...

"Our Gala Night celebrates your vacation and your choosing HAL; so relax, dress in your most proper or just in your resort casual clothing and enjoy our celebrating your choice of HAL."

What is the actual intent of this thread? Is it to petition HAL to impose a more formal dress code, and to tell them you do not like the one they have now? Or is it just harmless venting leading nowhere but to take jabs at one another (you go to Carnival, no you go to Cunard.:rolleyes:). I am asking in all sincerity, as I really see no point to it. So far it seems to be just a continuation of the other thread.

What is the actual intent of this thread? Is it to petition HAL to impose a more formal dress code, and to tell them you do not like the one they have now? Or is it just harmless venting leading nowhere but to take jabs at one another (you go to Carnival, no you go to Cunard.:rolleyes:). I am asking in all sincerity, as I really see no point to it. So far it seems to be just a continuation of the other thread.

As I understand it, the thread was intended to give everyone the opportunity to articulate what they view as the perfect dress code, but I agree, it has devolved into a simple continuation of past (and present) dress threads. Some want spiffier, some more relaxed, others don't care and a small percentage of us just follow whatever dress code HAL decides upon. There are a few sub-groups, including those who are pushing for Speedos for Gala Nights, and I'm sure a few advocates for clothing optional. :D

That was not the poster wanted (following the dress code), the poster wanted to impose a new dress code making the Pinnacle Grill formal all the time.

Actually, I said a specialty restaurant, such as the Pinnacle Grill. It doesn't have to replace the PG. It could even be a sectioned off part of the MDR, similar to how they section off the Canaletto from the Lido Buffet. This specialty restaurant would then require a stricter dress code every night, while Gala Nights in the MDR could be dropped.

Actually, I said a specialty restaurant, such as the Pinnacle Grill. It doesn't have to replace the PG. It could even be a sectioned off part of the MDR, similar to how they section off the Canaletto from the Lido Buffet. This specialty restaurant would then require a stricter dress code every night, while Gala Nights in the MDR could be dropped.

Interesting idea but how would you respond to those who say this is unacceptable because it would infringe upon the traditional dining concept, ie, some have said that they wouldn't like this since they would have to choose between celebrating formal nights and enjoying the traditional same table, same table mates, same waitstaff.

FWIW, Royal Caribbean has implemented a similar concept on their Quantum Class in their Grande Restaurant which features formal dress on all but the first night and an enhanced menu. The Grande is a complimentary alternative to the other always smart casual venues.

Interesting idea but how would you respond to those who say this is unacceptable because it would infringe upon the traditional dining concept, ie, some have said that they wouldn't like this since they would have to choose between celebrating formal nights and enjoying the traditional same table, same table mates, same waitstaff.

FWIW, Royal Caribbean has implemented a similar concept on their Quantum Class in their Grande Restaurant which features formal dress on all but the first night and an enhanced menu. The Grande is a complimentary alternative to the other always smart casual venues.

I was thinking that those who wanted to dress up would probably only do it once or twice per week. They would still be able to have their traditional dining the other days, if that is their choice. They could choose their own "formal nights" this way. I was tying to find someway to make everybody happy, not easy, it seems.

Nice to know Royal Caribbean has already acted on my idea!:D

As I understand it, the thread was intended to give everyone the opportunity to articulate what they view as the perfect dress code, but I agree, it has devolved into a simple continuation of past (and present) dress threads. Some want spiffier, some more relaxed, others don't care and a small percentage of us just follow whatever dress code HAL decides upon. There are a few sub-groups, including those who are pushing for Speedos for Gala Nights, and I'm sure a few advocates for clothing optional. :D

LOL:D:D I'd better make it clear I'm in the "whatever dress code HAL decides on" group! We continue to dress for dinner and a bit dressier for formal night.

I was thinking that those who wanted to dress up would probably only do it once or twice per week. They would still be able to have their traditional dining the other days, if that is their choice. They could choose their own "formal nights" this way. I was tying to find someway to make everybody happy, not easy, it seems.

Nice to know Royal Caribbean has already acted on my idea!:D

I've found that it is almost impossible to make everybody happy so I just focus on trying to keep my wife happy.

Lots of folks like your concept on Quantum. Lots of folks do not. Personally I think it's a great idea but not too many are interested in compromise.

Well, that is somewhat different: a separate dining area that is formal all the time while giving everyone a chance to eat there in a separate/divided. space. The MDR would lend itself better to that option. But then you'd want more "formal" food (lobster etc) so there would have to be a extra charge for that (or eat the same as the others do)

I would be OK with that rather than a specialty restaurant with a unique cuisine where only those willing to dress formally can go.

Setting aside a venue specifically as a formal venue works on RC because of the size of their ships. HAL's ships don't have space to implement a formal only area. And, as you noted, it would be an impractical shuffle and conflict of preferences in the MDR.

Given the physical limitations of HAL's ships and the refusal of so many people to make an attempt at dressing up, "formal optional" was inevitable. I don't like it, as I don't believe "all things to all people" works well. If they won't do a jacket-and-tie minimum, then I'd prefer they drop the pretense of "gala" and just go with "resort casual" or whatever they call it.

Smart casual every nite.

But - ENFORCE IT - no shorts, flipflops, tanks, tees, Daisy Dukes, holey jeans, sweats, bare midriffs, etc. - but nice casual clothes. Something that shows they changed from their daytime attire to "get dressed" for dinner. Then hopefully they will stay dressed that way in other venues throughout the evening, as they would be comfortable. ( Nothing worse than sitting in the show lounge next to some guy in a tank top with sweaty, hairy, smelly armpits.)

But - ENFORCE IT - no shorts, flipflops, tanks, tees, Daisy Dukes, holey jeans, sweats, bare midriffs, etc. - but nice casual clothes.

We still believe formal attire has its place and will continue to wear such until we are the last but this seems to be the way most people are leaning. i.e. smart casual all the time.

Since the word "nice" will now be thrown around now more than ever, I am wondering if the "formal police" will be officially demoted or dumbed down to the "nice police" :D I really don't envy their job as it seems to me that "nice" is a lot harder to define than "formal".

Edited by taxmantoo

Try sitting in the show lounge next to some gal in a tank top with sweaty, hairy, smelly armpits! :rolleyes:

Sweaty smelly armpits is a personal hygiene issue. Happens to folks with jackets and ties and without. :)

Try sitting in the show lounge next to some gal in a tank top with sweaty, hairy, smelly armpits! :rolleyes:

The only time I have ever had a problem like this was on one cruise with a gentleman who dressed in plastic painting tarps tied around his body with rope. Plastic tarps trap odors.

Other than that, I have never noticed a problem with malodorous passengers.

Now those that drown themselves in fragrance are another issue altogether!

Sweaty smelly armpits is a personal hygiene issue. Happens to folks with jackets and ties and without. :)

Actually, it can be a medical issue, you never know.

We still believe formal attire has its place and will continue to wear such until we are the last but this seems to be the way most people are leaning. i.e. smart casual all the time.

Since the word "nice" will now be thrown around now more than ever, I am wondering if the "formal police" will be officially demoted or dumbed down to the "nice police" :D I really don't envy their job as it seems to me that "nice" is a lot harder to define than "formal".

The Nice Police will be referred to as the "Niceties". :)

Setting aside a venue specifically as a formal venue works on RC because of the size of their ships. HAL's ships don't have space to implement a formal only area. And, as you noted, it would be an impractical shuffle and conflict of preferences in the MDR.

Given the physical limitations of HAL's ships and the refusal of so many people to make an attempt at dressing up, "formal optional" was inevitable. I don't like it, as I don't believe "all things to all people" works well. If they won't do a jacket-and-tie minimum, then I'd prefer they drop the pretense of "gala" and just go with "resort casual" or whatever they call it.

Maybe they could go with celebrity's "flirty sundress" dress code :D;).

Edited by cruz chic

Formal optional did not have to become inevitable. The refusal to consider alternatives such as formal only areas or celebrating formal nights in traditional seatings only also contributed.