Number of cabins per steward?

KazAllen

The cut the cabin attendants get from the daily gratuity charge is not a state secret. It's been mentioned many times on here. And no one is asking what their regular pay is. There is a huge difference between the two.

I don't understand why any other person's income is any of my business, just as my income isn't my steward's (or anyone else's) business. If the reason of the question is to ensure you tip over and beyond, then add to the gratuity amount that is automatically charged to your shipboard account (or prepaid). Simple as that; no need to broadcast someone's personal pay details across a public forum.

How would you feel it the steward was interested in your income? ....if maybe you really could not afford your trip...just wanting to be sure you had not bitten of more than you could chew....so to speak?

Maybe you aren't understanding my post. I was concerned about gratuities - no the steward's income. I commented about wanting the distribution of the gratuities to be fair. Nothing more.

Lab guy - not sure why you are talking about biting off more than I can chew. but one of the other posters said it better than I did. Gratuities are just that - but since they now have us pay ahead, the concern should be there to make sure it is fair.

Maybe you aren't understanding my post. I was concerned about gratuities - no the steward's income. I commented about wanting the distribution of the gratuities to be fair. Nothing more.

Lab guy - not sure why you are talking about biting off more than I can chew. but one of the other posters said it better than I did. Gratuities are just that - but since they now have us pay ahead, the concern should be there to make sure it is fair.

The distribution of gratuities would be based on the contract the crew member has with Celebrity. Since many tipped crew members have been working for Celebrity for years, doing contract after contract, I would assume that the distribution is fair. If it wasn't they would not return and be working for another cruise line.

The distribution of gratuities would be based on the contract the crew member has with Celebrity. Since many tipped crew members have been working for Celebrity for years, doing contract after contract, I would assume that the distribution is fair. If it wasn't they would not return and be working for another cruise line.

I just leave on the automatic tips and let Celebrity sort it out -- then give extra in cash to ones that have gone above and beyond.

Obviously no one has been able to provide you or the OP an answer concerning whether tips are distributed fairly and what that amount would be. If you feel you have a right to know this why don't you take the lead on this topic and contact Celebrity Head Quarters and request a tip distribution break down for the different disciplines that provide a service. Then you can report back, post and squelch all the different opinions those have shared and are entitled to. IMO the best tip you can provide to someone that has done their job or gone above and beyond doing their job is filling out the performance survey and mentioning those by name and job title. That's what we do. No extra cash tip needed above what the Cruise lines have established. Not my concern how the Cruise lines distribute the tips. Some Cruisers do tip extra, their choice. Again IMO a crew member who provided you a service wants that number 10 rating on the performance survey. That's job security.

I am not sure you can opt out of the blanket gratuties anymore? but I wish I could give my contribution to who I felt was/gave good service to me. The guy and his assistant who serviced our stateroom over a ten day period done a splendid job & I made sure I didn't make his job any harder than it needed to be because its not the greatest job to have to do to make a living. I also gave a personal tip at the end of the cruise and said thank you. I wish I could have extended that to the staff in the coffee shop or the martini bar but I don't have that kind of cash & I shouldn't have to pay my gratuities twice because I am not comfortable with the ships policy but thats the way it is if I want to cruise with them.

Gratuities ARE the stewards income....and what is fair has been worked out between Celebrity and the staff

Edited by LabGuy64

Gratuities ARE the stewards income....and what is fair has been worked out between Celebrity and the staff

No matter the crew members job title they all make a monthly base salary. Gratuities are a huge supplement to their monthly base pay. Just like wait staff at land based restaurants. A few years ago there was an article about this subject on Cruise Critics Homepage.

Edited by davekathy

I have no time for the sarcastic posters that think people don't have the right to ask these sort of questions

Well said, KazAllen.

We just got off the Eclipse, and were dismayed to learn that, on the TA repositioning prior to our cruise, 80% of the cabins had withdrawn their gratuities. That's the sole source of income for the wait staff and housekeeping staff. Apparently the waiters had received only $300 for 2 weeks of work, and had to pay their own daily expenses out of that. We were interested to learn, however, that the MDR gets a listing of which cabins had withdrawn gratuities and at which table the passengers were sitting. And yet staff had to remain cheerful and provide excellent service.

Apparently, according to one of the management staff members, X is revising their policy and will require passengers withdrawing gratuities to do so daily at Guest Relations, identifying how much they are withdrawing, and for what reason. It hopefully will cause passengers to rethink why they are withdrawing tips.

Like you, I am more than happy to pay the staff for their 10 hour days/7days per week/6-9 months at a stretch. And we also pay a little extra in recognition of how difficult the job can be.

The breakdown on how gratuities are split can be found on the FAQ on the X website. I am of the belief that it is only because of the American custom of cost plus tips that they are split. Many cruise lines operating permanently out of Australia and NZ include the gratuities as part of the price as tipping is not encouraged down under. It would make sense if they were included in the overall cost and extra gratuities were paid for quality service

The breakdown on how gratuities are split can be found on the FAQ on the X website. I am of the belief that it is only because of the American custom of cost plus tips that they are split. Many cruise lines operating permanently out of Australia and NZ include the gratuities as part of the price as tipping is not encouraged down under. It would make sense if they were included in the overall cost and extra gratuities were paid for quality service

On every tipping thread, I read how tax and agent fees mean that tips can't be included in the fare.

Whenever I ask how lines outside the USA do it, I can't get a sensible answer.

Does anyone know how many cabins each room attendant is responsible for? Is this same attendant responsible solely responsible for the whole cruise (say a 12 day cruise). Also what amount of the pre paid grats per person does this attendant receive? Just interested to know. Thanks.

We just got off Constellation a couple of weeks ago and I can state for a fact that our attendant had 24 cabins to do.

We just got off Constellation a couple of weeks ago and I can state for a fact that our attendant had 24 cabins to do.

Yes. Thank you. I know for a fact that the "10 cabin" numbers quoted by several here are not even close. And, on Celebrity there is an assistant. With a 10 cabin load they would spend most of their time on Deck 0 catching ZZZZs and that is NOT the case.