Summit accident in Tortola 2 pass. killed

dkjretired

Been on that road many many times and it's not for the faint of heart... understand that it was rainy and that would make a dangerous hill even worse.

I'll be on the Summit January through February and plan at least one trip to Cane Garden Bay...

Will be thinking of those poor folks in the accident.

I checked their roll call out and there's no activity about this sad accident... hope nobody we know was aboard the bus. :(

Another accident! Much less awful but two in two days? :eek:

Tortola, VI- Just a day after a bus transporting tourists to Cane Garden Bay became involved in an accident, killing two and injuring 18, a safari vehicle transporting tourists along the road at Long Trench became involved in a collision.

http://www.virginislandsnewsonline.com/en/news/safari-vehicle-with-tourists-in-collision-long-trench

350x_i_IMG20151207WA0004.jpg

I feel for the pax, but I am not surprised. In twenty years of cruising , the only time , I almost wound up in a hospital was nearly falling off one of those converted flat beds. In my case, the driver had no regard for passenger safety or comfort. We might as well have been cattle or fry goods. I think it's Island attitude towards tourists.

Already done, post #8 has the link, he had a message out within about an hour in which he mentioned he represented Summit passengers in the past. Very subtile advertising that has been done in the past.
Figured Scum Bag Lawyer James Walker would be the first on the scene. Wonder if he and his staff are haunting hospitals.

Currently on Silhouette in St Kitts. Can see Summit from my balcony. Understand that Captain and emergency response team went to hospital to see passengers . Members of the response ship stayed in Tortola to tend to passenger needs.

Very sad event and prayers for all involved.

Our family group of three adults and three six-year old children took a Celebrity Reflection excursion on November 24th from the port in St. Thomas to Magen's Bay beach in an open air bus with no seat belts, shoulder harnesses, and no guardrails on one side of the bus over steep, curvy roads where passengers had to hang on going around corners to avoid being tossed out. Fortunately it was uneventful, but I would not do it again. We were not informed of this mode of transportation prior to the excursion. It is surprising that Celebrity would take such risks with their passengers.

After reading this post, I am reminded of a RCCL cruise sponsored tour our family of 6 took in Grand Cayman. The bus had no seat belts, and had drop down backless seats that filled the aisles. In an emergency, no one could get out without climbing over the seats. I don't understand why the cruise lines don't monitor transportation provided by the local tour companies more closely. We chose the more expensive ship tour thinking it would be safer. Several people refused to board the bus, and rightly so, because they felt they paid for a real seat.

This was our cruise. Captain's club hostess stayed behind with families. Celebrity main office also sent reps. Everyone off island now.

Captain Kate reported on the last day of the cruise that there had been, in addition to the 2 fatalities, 3 persons in critical care units in San Juan and Miami. One of the critical care patients was released, but I'm not sure if to another part of the hospital or from the hospital itself. There had been a total of 20 persons on this independent tour, and there was no word on the driver of the vehicle or what caused the accident. There had been intermittent heavy downpours throughout our day in Tortola.

In what may have been a separate incident, there was an ambulance meeting the ship when it docked in Martinique 2 mornings after Tortola. I witnessed a passenger strapped on a gurney being loaded into the emergency vehicle.