Full House in Sydney 9 Dec

Seeing images like this just convinces me more that we need our own version of Port Everglades in Fort Lauderdale. Surely there has gotta be some land that could be developed to accommodate several cruise ships. Build it and they will come!

port_everglades.jpg

Edited by Royalty X

Seeing images like this just convinces me more that we need our own version of Port Everglades in Fort Lauderdale. Surely there has gotta be some land that could be developed to accommodate several cruise ships. Build it and they will come!

port_everglades.jpg

Wow, what a photo!

Port Everglades is a superb facility because of its capacity and its proximity to the Ft. Lauderdale airport, a major resort beach and ease of access by automobile. Being a Californian, where we really don't have a facility even close to Port Everglades, and being a repeater Sydney visitor, your photo shows how Sydney has problems similar to ours (and, for that matter, New York, where port facilities are scattered over a wide area of the city and even New Jersey.

Pardon my ignorance but wouldn't a site along the Paramatta River, the 2000 Olympics site for example, be a good starting point?

Wow, what a photo!

Port Everglades is a superb facility because of its capacity and its proximity to the Ft. Lauderdale airport, a major resort beach and ease of access by automobile. Being a Californian, where we really don't have a facility even close to Port Everglades, and being a repeater Sydney visitor, your photo shows how Sydney has problems similar to ours (and, for that matter, New York, where port facilities are scattered over a wide area of the city and even New Jersey.

Pardon my ignorance but wouldn't a site along the Paramatta River, the 2000 Olympics site for example, be a good starting point?

G'day Walt

I doubt there would be the draft that far up the river, nor the room to turn ships.

I think Botony Bay, near the Airport and Cronulla Beaches would be better.

Wow, what a photo!

Unfortunately the Parramatta river and the Olympic precinct has the same problem as White Bay, that bloody harbour bridge, and the fact that any decent size ship will not fit under it. Now if we could just pull the bridge down (or raise it a few metres) our problems would be solved:D:D

The Olympic precinct is also way to far up the river which is extremely narrow and anything much larger than a manly ferry would have problems not to mention the Gladesville bridge which is probably three times lower than the Harbour bridge.:mad:

Have to agree with you though, Fort Lauderdale is a fantastic facility but unless they build a cruise terminal in Botany Bay there is no chance of something like that in Sydney and you would also lose the WOW of sailing into/ out of Sydney Harbour.

Edited by gbenjo

Unfortunately the Parramatta river and the Olympic precinct has the same problem as White Bay, that bloody harbour bridge, and the fact that any decent size ship will not fit under it. Now if we could just pull the bridge down (or raise it a few metres) our problems would be solved:D:D

If we send a big ship under her, we will achieve one or the other.

Maybe the right ship at low tide, come high tide when the coat hanger gets lifted we can jam a few bricks under the pylons, problem solved.:cool:

port_everglades.jpg

Wow, what a sight.

Botany Bay could be developed and have a huge facility but that will cost mega$.

Wow, what a sight.

Botany Bay could be developed and have a huge facility but that will cost mega$.

I think it was a spokesperson from RCCI (correct me if I'm wrong) who said that if they developed a cruise port in Botany Bay they would still include a jaunt into Sydney Harbour on their itineraries because for their passengers, part of the lure of Sydney was sailing in and out of the harbour. A nice thought perhaps but a little impractical.

cheers

Stu

I think it was a spokesperson from RCCI (correct me if I'm wrong) who said that if they developed a cruise port in Botany Bay they would still include a jaunt into Sydney Harbour on their itineraries because for their passengers, part of the lure of Sydney was sailing in and out of the harbour. A nice thought perhaps but a little impractical.

cheers

Stu

The thrill of sailing into Sydney Harbour is always a major element of any cruise. The trick used by cruise lines occasionally in the British Virgin Islands and Dominica in the Caribbean could be used. When Sydney is the arrival/departure port the ship arrives in Sydney, disgorges the passengers who want to disembark there, then continue to Botney Bay to disembark all others and to prepare for the next voyage. The proximity toi the airport is a major plus.

But after thinking about it more, can a ship "turn around" quickly enough in Botney Bay if it first made a service call in Sydney? Folks who parked at the Botney Bay port would need transport from The Rocks, etc.

In those few other cases where Sydney is just a port of call the idea might work if the cruise line provided a shuttle for all passengers from The Rocks to Botney Bay, but I agree. I don't really think the dual docking in Sydney/Botney Bay would work.

cheers

Stu

Yes, I remember and I think it has merit if they load up by say 5pm and then get in and back out of the harbour by 7-9pm. That said, they would need good infrastructure to get passengers to and from the Botany Bay dock using shuttles to the Airport (International and Domestic), CBD (central) and possibly even the Circular quay.:D

The thrill of sailing into Sydney Harbour is always a major element of any cruise. The trick used by cruise lines occasionally in the British Virgin Islands and Dominica in the Caribbean could be used. When Sydney is the arrival/departure port the ship arrives in Sydney, disgorges the passengers who want to disembark there, then continue to Botney Bay to disembark all others and to prepare for the next voyage. The proximity toi the airport is a major plus.

But after thinking about it more, can a ship "turn around" quickly enough in Botney Bay if it first made a service call in Sydney? Folks who parked at the Botney Bay port would need transport from The Rocks, etc.

In those few other cases where Sydney is just a port of call the idea might work if the cruise line provided a shuttle for all passengers from The Rocks to Botney Bay, but I agree. I don't really think the dual docking in Sydney/Botney Bay would work.

A "decent" sized cruise ship needs pretty much around twelve hours to complete a "turnaround" and they normally berth about 6am in the morning so I don't think a "drop off" of some passengers in Sydney Harbour before heading to Botany Bay would be a possibility and they would still need somewhere to berth to drop them off. Tendering would take too long and with all the ferry services operating in the Harbour there are also exclusion times that the big ships cannot operate in.

Sailing in and out of Sydney sounds good, but turning will be a nightmare, requiring tugs and what happens when the tugs aren't available at that time?

A lot of the ships don't use tugs when they turn around in fjords, sounds and various harbours including Sydney and Auckland. Although there may be a tug on standby to help in an emergency, these could be organised for each sail - in along with the harbour pilot.

A lot of the ships don't use tugs when they turn around in fjords, sounds and various harbours including Sydney and Auckland. Although there may be a tug on standby to help in an emergency, these could be organised for each sail - in along with the harbour pilot.

Just for clarification::D the turnaround I was talking about is the terminology the cruise lines use when referring to a ship arriving in port, debarking (disembarking) existing passengers and a new group of passengers embarking for the next cruise as opposed to a ship turning 180 degrees or so and heading off in the opposite direction. and yes most,probably all, are more than capable of turning around unassisted but they have to have a tug(s) on standby (just in case)

Just for clarification::D the turnaround I was talking about is the terminology the cruise lines use when referring to a ship arriving in port, debarking (disembarking) existing passengers and a new group of passengers embarking for the next cruise as opposed to a ship turning 180 degrees or so and heading off in the opposite direction. and yes most,probably all, are more than capable of turning around unassisted but they have to have a tug(s) on standby (just in case)

Cheers for clearing that.:D