Should Cel offer perks for 55+

gordylad

The corporate mentality offering a senior discount is not to help them out but to motivate them with an incentive to spend their money with the company.

People just getting by on Medicare and Social Security (depending upon) are not people who spend their money on cruising.

BTW Celebrity's senior/state discount is not that great. Usually the other perks are better. The only time it really plays out is after final payment, inside cabin or when no other discount/perks are available.

Agree.

I don't get it.

Don't you all look for the best possible price when you buy something?

We always check out the senior rates for hotels. Sometimes, they are better, sometimes not.

We get senior rates on Viarail.

Hudson's bay offers a senior discount the first Tuesday of each month.

These are a few examples.

Why pay top dollar if you don't have to?

I don't get it.

Don't you all look for the best possible price when you buy something?

We always check out the senior rates for hotels. Sometimes' date=' they are better, sometimes not.

We get senior rates on Viarail.

Hudson's bay offers a senior discount the first Tuesday of each month.

These are a few examples.

Why pay top dollar if you don't have to?[/quote']

Of course, looking for the best price is basic economics. Some were questioning why should seniors get a discount.

I have no problem with military veterans getting discounts. If the cruise lines offer senior discounts and I save using them, no problem, but as I said before, seniors are the wealthiest age group.

We recently saw a sign in a local cafe that said:

We do not give a discount to seniors,

they have had more time to get the money.

This is a college town and I am sure many students

wish they had our money when they see us enjoying ourselves.

We were where they are once and that sign made us smile.

Military discounts, senior discounts, resident discounts are almost non-existent up here in NJ. Living in Florida makes cruising so much cheaper than most.

My SS is not an "entitlement". No matter what everyone is being lead to believe, I paid into it all my working life and will never, never see most of it come back to us.

Now, I also look for any discounts available. We may have saved a little, not much, as some might think, but we made sure we were comfortable in our retirement so we would not have to depend on our kids or other entitlements. Cruising is becoming something we may have to forego after so many years with the prices going out of sight.

I wish you all well if you can afford to keep traveling but most of us "middle class seniors" have been priced out of the market right now.

Merry Christmas all. Maybe someone will give us another cruise for a gift:D

Pat

Of course, looking for the best price is basic economics. Some were questioning why should seniors get a discount.

I have no problem with military veterans getting discounts. If the cruise lines offer senior discounts and I save using them, no problem, but as I said before, seniors are the wealthiest age group.

I think you are a little misled thinking seniors are the wealthiest age group. They may have accumulated capital, but once retired, if necessary to encroach on capital, it can disappear very quickly. And isn't it smart to save for help if and when you need it? Help is very expensive.

I think you are a little misled thinking seniors are the wealthiest age group. They may have accumulated capital' date=' but once retired, if necessary to encroach on capital, it can disappear very quickly. And isn't it smart to save for help if and when you need it? Help is very expensive.[/quote']

You make a good point in that retired seniors may need to spend some of their assets since they are not in the workforce.

However, the amount of net worth is significantly higher as one ages. Many younger persons may be paying for children in college. Even raising children is expensive. Also, as I found while I was employed, I saved at least 15% of my income for retirement.

Most of the cruises that we are on have a very high percentage of retired persons. Of course, younger persons, still employed have less time for travel than retired persons.

The Net Worth of American Retirees

It’s important to note that these incomes use the Federal Reserve’s calculations of Net Worth, but don’t attempt to quantify the value of income streams. That’s right – these numbers are sans pensions and Social Security and Medicare streams of income – depending on your perspective (and how you compute the value of those benefits), those are either a bonus or the net worths listed are a bonus. Anyway, here’s what we’ve got:

Retiree Wealth in 2013, by Quintile

I’ll hold off on the heavy analysis, since these numbers generally speak for themselves. However, I will say this: the retiree set is the wealthiest demographic in America, before additional monthly payments are factored in (more about that in the next article). More than 60% of households headed by 65+ year old members have at least six-figures of wealth, and more than 10 percent are into the seven figures.

http://dqydj.net/the-net-worth-of-different-age-groups-in-america/

What I would really like to see is a discount for veterans. Princess gives OBC to veterans and that is a major reason why we cruise with them almost exclusively. (They also give OBC for stockholders.)

Agree. Princess excels in acknowledging the Veterans in that way. The message they are expressing far out weighs the OBC. Once a Vet applies for the VOBC you never have to reapply and it's good for all Cruises. It wound be nice if the other Cruise Lines followed Princess lead. Welcome home and thanks for your service.

Edited by davekathy

Maybe those 55+ passengers can get those bottles of water that Aqua class is no longer getting...? ;)

(And before anyone comments, I am 53 and my wife is 68. Senior discounts are nice, but rarely "substantial".)

I looked at your chart.

One percent has over 10 million.

Only 10 % has one and a half.

Only 25 % falls into the almost 600,000 bracket.

The rest have under 200,000. See how long you can live on that!

How can you say they are a wealthy group?

The top 1 percent is wealthy. The next 10 percent raises questions. Does that include the house? You can't spend your home! Does that include stocks? Sell them and pay your taxes!

Very few people are actually wealthy.

I'm well over 55 and I don't expect discounts on Celebrity because of my age. When a 55+ discount has popped up for my booking it has never been enough to make me change the alresdy great price and perks that I originally booked.

I live in the present and love current music. I would enjoy a night of 60's 70's music but a daily diet of it, no way. Celebrity has to continue to appeal to the younger generation. I was a member of it when I first started cruising! Face the fact, that cruising days will end for all of us eventually as we age and those younger folks will someday be the seniors! Everything changes and I love that about cruising.

I looked at your chart.

One percent has over 10 million.

Only 10 % has one and a half.

Only 25 % falls into the almost 600' date='000 bracket.

The rest have under 200,000. See how long you can live on that!

How can you say they are a wealthy group?

The top 1 percent is wealthy. The next 10 percent raises questions. Does that include the house? You can't spend your home! Does that include stocks? Sell them and pay your taxes!

Very few people are actually wealthy.[/quote']

I fear that we are getting off course.

Many people like myself have retirements that I can live very comfortably and even have some left over. I mean a retirement not taking anything from my IRAs or 401K. My travel money is from my 401K.

I don't consider myself wealthy, but I can go on two overseas trips a year.

I know people that have their homes paid for and can live on $1000 per month. It just depends on a lot of factors. The article I posted supports my statement that older people have substantially more assets than the young. I never said that all seniors are wealthy.

I fear that we are getting off course.

Many people like myself have retirements that I can live very comfortably and even have some left over. I mean a retirement not taking anything from my IRAs or 401K. My travel money is from my 401K.

I don't consider myself wealthy, but I can go on two overseas trips a year.

I know people that have their homes paid for and can live on $1000 per month. It just depends on a lot of factors. The article I posted supports my statement that older people have substantially more assets than the young. I never said that all seniors are wealthy.

We are not so far off course. Many argue that seniors should not get discounts. But I don't agree. It is difficult to live well on a fixed income. (Unless you are in the top 1%)

Younger people are doing very well. Most are two income families. They do have high expenses, but they hopefully will increase their earnings as they

mature. Some want everything NOW, which is not so wise in my opinion. But many do save, just as you did.

But seniors are at the end of the line. It is difficult to get high dividends or interest on savings Safely.

If your friend can live on $1000 a month, more power to him! Now wouldn't it be nice if he got a senior discount? That is my point!