After further consideration....the American Table is not good.

artmanr

Maybe they won't be like me and will finish reading the letter. I couldn't finish. Sorry.

Seems to me what you're looking for in a dining experience isn't going to be what Carnival provides. At least in my past experiences with Carnival. Having experienced both options I disagree with you.

We were on the Pride November 15th which was the first week of American Table. We are a couple in our mid 50's and although this was only our second cruise we have eaten at many fine dining establishments over the years in NYC and Toronto. We ate in the MDR 4 times with the flexible dining time, we found the food, ambience and service to be generally very good, twice we ate at the same table for 10 and had great waiters and service, once we sat in one of the 2 person tables that is close to another 2 person, personally I didn't care for this, it almost felt like I should engage with these people as if they were table mates. On our last night we requested a 2 person table but not the ones that were right beside other 2 person tables, our request was easily granted. I did not miss the table cloths, I liked having the water right there to be refilled myself and had no issue with the bread baskets. The food was good, I made some great choices but also some poor choices but this I find is just a matter of taste. We will definitely cruise on the Pride again hopefully within the next few months......American Table did not scare us away!

The point what missing is. THERE LESS PEOPLE IN DINING ROOM. TO served you. So they make you do self service. No table cloths to clean. No one to fill water glasses. No one to serve bread. Ect.ect.ect. Last cruise old menu. The staff was like just like serving two things at the same time. They could not keep up. Carnival answer to your letter is going to be. Suck it up. That the new way

Huh?

We just got back last week from our 6th cruise--1st with the American Table setup.

We've had three waiters on all six cruises--and looking around, there was no shortage of waiters in the dining room--Glory, Platinum Dining Room.

Also--there was no shortage in either of the buffet sections.

I'm withholding judgement until I actually experience the American Table but I have to say from everything I've heard it sounds great. The menu choices look very appealing and I hope they are as tasty as they sound. I would say 90% of the nice restaurants I've been to in the last five years do not use tablecloths. (I travel all over the country for work so this doesn't appear to be a regional thing.) While I was pleasantly surprised by the food quality on the old menus, I definitely felt like the whole experience had a 1980s or 90s wedding vibe to it. The tablecloths and menu choices really made it feel like a banquet experience.

It sounds like the American Table is a more modern fine dining experience and I am really looking forward to trying it!

Awfully wordy but you sort of had me until stating the tables were somehow cleaner with tablecloths than without. :confused:

Though I didn't read to the end it seems you missed the most important part of a business letter: What do you want the company to do with your frustrations? If you don't offer a solution in a clear and precise manner, then your letter is pointless and will end up in the circular file.

I think the OP's point was quite clear - discontinue the American Table concept, and bring back the MDR table/service format that Carnival customers have experienced in the past.

The letter was detailed, perhaps a bit long, but I think that it is very clear that someone that recalls the dining experience in such great detail is very passionate about their request.

For me, it's not a deal-breaker; I'm not running off to a different cruise line, but I prefer the old MDR service, as well.

I'm withholding judgement until I actually experience the American Table but I have to say from everything I've heard it sounds great. The menu choices look very appealing and I hope they are as tasty as they sound. I would say 90% of the nice restaurants I've been to in the last five years do not use tablecloths. (I travel all over the country for work so this doesn't appear to be a regional thing.) While I was pleasantly surprised by the food quality on the old menus, I definitely felt like the whole experience had a 1980s or 90s wedding vibe to it. The tablecloths and menu choices really made it feel like a banquet experience.

It sounds like the American Table is a more modern fine dining experience and I am really looking forward to trying it!

Personally I think you will like it. I respect op's opinion but my American Table experience was great. Looking forward to it again next year.

We had some of the worst food ever on our 3-day cruise on the Imagination last weekend. I blame the American Table menu. I agree completely with everything you said. Although we cruise primarily with Carnival, I'm experimenting with other lines. Our experiences on both Princess and Royal as far as food and dining experience goes leaves Carnival in the dust.

Try the Inspiration. We've had two cruises on the Imagination. One was our worst cruise, the second was adequate.

While I agree with a few things, unless the letter makes you feel good then it's pretty much a waste of time. I'm not trying to be mean, carnival will never go back. Me, I'm just glad not to have to cook. And the whole no table cloth still perplexes me. How many tables in regular restaurants have table clothes?

I never understood equating "fine dining" with tablecloths. The more upscale and modern restaurants are getting away from that antiquated notion.

Sure because it's so appetizing to watch your water glass slide around in the condensation off of it! :rolleyes:

It's actually the absence of the table cloths that bothers me more than anything else. I don't mind having a bread basket or a picture of water as long as the table is large enough to fit these items plus the dinner plates with ease as opposed to risking the plate ending up in my lap.

Loved your perspective of the AT.. I read the entire letter because I was interested in your opinion. I like you love Carnival we have been on 19 cruises with them. My dad was a Chef and my mom did catering so I have a different perspective on dining, every single one of us could eat the same exact meal at the same restaurant at the same time and we will have our own opinion and it will go from love it to hate it. I personally like tablecloths- they do add a sense of elegance and set the mood for the meal but that it just me. We sail the Sunshine in May and I think they will have AT then so I see how it goes, I am looking forward to the food changes except not having fried chicken every night! But Carnival will come through and fix it for my very picky DH-- every night!

OP thanks for sharing you thoughts, I know you will get a reply from Carnival.

Hi,

I just got off the Imagination last Thursday. My 2nd with American Table/Feast. Thank you for putting down in words what we also experienced. It was awkward not knowing if I should take my fork & knife from my salad/appetizer plate. It was hit n miss getting a replacement. Steak knives for my Mom with the tough, really tough, Flat Iron Steak?? Nope, she wouldn't ask...

So many details you brought up, yet it really did add up in the overall experience. So, thank you for posting. Like you, it won't stop me from cruising Carnival. Maybe they'll take a few points and change!

Bobbi

To add ne more important point: Our food in the MDR was consistently room temperature. I pointed this out in a post on the Imagination thread. We had dinner the 1st night and I nicely pointed this out. Our waiter was also nice and pointed out that was " Only the first night". The 2nd night we were moved to our permanent spot in the MDR...but the same room temp food was still an issue. IDK what do about this...quicker pick up from the wait staff seems pretty obvious. It's hard when we're there to do much, the staff are truly so kind and nice. They work their butts off...so what to do?? :confused::confused:

It's been quite a while since we've been on the Inspiration. I'd like to get back on that ship.

All this talk about other lines has me looking at HAL to Alaska in 2017. I'm saving my codes from Kellogg's cereals for $200 off a cruise. :D

We're just off Elation, old menu, but the MDR food was excellent. We sail Inspiration next year for Halloween. If the American Table food is downgraded, we'll probably only sail Carnival on the Journey cruises for the most part, which at least have additional menu items for the repo.

We're also looking at HAL for Alaska. ;)

Edited by Stateroom_Sailor

I agree with the OP. We did the American Table on the Conquest in Nov and was not that impressed. We miss having our napkins placed in our laps. The wine bottle and the water pitcher in the middle of the table took up a bit of room. Also felt we had less interaction with the wait staff.

It's not enough to stop us from cruising Carnival, but I do miss the old ways.

We found the American Table to be enjoyable. No real difference between old menu and American Table.

Missing tablecloths not an issue. Most restaurants do not have tablecloths.

I have never sat at a table waiting for waiter or waitress to put a napkin in my lap..

We were on the Conquest in August, we had 3/4 waiters as we did on all of our other sailings.

Carnival has to keep prices low to fill there ships. They lack creating destinations with their ships. With that being said, they will continue to find ways to cut costs. It won't be long before they just make the MDR a buffet.

It's important that people share different experiences with Carnival. It is unfortunate that when so many people share their dislike, either as a whole experience or as a specific part of the experience that the poster shared that so many people chime in to try to discredit the poster.

One poster said you can go for $50.00 a night. That's an example of not "understanding" the cost of a cruise. What about taxes, port charges, tips, the famous FTTF, upcharges for being in the center, or upper floor? Each of these add to the cheap cost, to such a point, that you are spending more than other cruise lines. However, Carnival wins your support, because you believe you are getting a good deal.

Marketing says, they are giving you a new menu! Better and designed based on your requests. You will love it. However, the reality is it is a cutback, but they will sell it to you as if you wanted a cutback. Yes, I want meatloaf instead of steak.

I've had the American Table experience 5 times now.

The concerns that the OP brought up are valid points from her point of view, but I don't share those concerns.

I particularly enjoy the new menu selections, though some of the old favorites are gone.

I doubt the move toward the continued roll out of the new dining concept is going to change. From what John Heald has said the majority of the comments are positive.

I've had the American Table experience 5 times now.

The concerns that the OP brought up are valid points from her point of view, but I don't share those concerns.

I particularly enjoy the new menu selections, though some of the old favorites are gone.

I doubt the move toward the continued roll out of the new dining concept is going to change. From what John Heald has said the majority of the comments are positive.

Agree on all counts. The old menu was....well....old. Change (read that as variety) is a good thing.

Complaining about the "present" not being the same as the "past" is why Grandkids look at their Grandparents with such a questioning look...C'mn Grandma get with the program, embrace the new get rid of the old, join our world, expand your horizons, try something different, life is more casual be more casual, "servants" aren't there so you don't have to lift a finger. Really, Grams food does not taste better because of the place setting, or the tablecloth, or because someone puts a napkin on your lap, or you have the choice of 6 forks, 3 knives, a half dozen spoons. Grab a roll, fill your water glass when its empty, if you don't like what you ordered, Gram, they will bring you something else.

Really Grams you wore a hat and gloves and stockings, woosh a girdle, too, when you left the house to go to get groceries...who were you trying to impress. You cruised because you could act like a princess with lots of servants running around and pretend you were important....geesh, I think I'd rather go on the water slides, or watch a movie outdoors, or jog around the deck and breath the salt air.

I think I like my Grandkids take on life and understand why they choose Carnival over some of the other "stuffy" cruise lines. They aren't trying to relive a past that means nothing to them....they want their vacation to be a reflection of the things they enjoy in the present, offered in a way that is comfortable and familiar to them. They always tell me that one knife, one fork and one spoon is adequate...who needs all the fru-fru stuff that only causes more work for someone else.

I have been reading up on this topic since we are coming back to Carnival for my daughters wedding in November.

I agree the letter is very well written and I always appreciate thoughtful posts like this, which was not written as a flame to the change, but with tact and well measured opinion.

That being said I am anxious to see how it is different and give it a try. Dining can be a highlight of a cruise and I have certainly been on several cruises where it was awful, and some that were amazing.....

As others have said, if you want top end dining there are certainly other lines to try and you should always consider the clientele and the line while shopping for a cruise.

I am generally of the opinion that any 7 day period I do not have to cook, shop or cleanup is a plus. So I will be anxious to see how this works.

Nancy

I don't remember if I've already posted on this thread?:confused:

If so then this is the 2nd time I'll say we enjoyed the MDR on the Conquest very much WITH the American Table menu and the "American feast" menu on elegant nights!!

Our wait staff team headed by Olga was wonderful!

Our food choices and items were served extremely well !

I think out of the entire cruise there might have been one night when we didn't love our food!

Having a table cloth each night or having someone put a napkin in my lap does not change how the food taste which for me is the most important thing in a dining room!

Complaining about the "present" not being the same as the "past" is why Grandkids look at their Grandparents with such a questioning look...C'mn Grandma get with the program, embrace the new get rid of the old, join our world, expand your horizons, try something different, life is more casual be more casual, "servants" aren't there so you don't have to lift a finger. Really, Grams food does not taste better because of the place setting, or the tablecloth, or because someone puts a napkin on your lap, or you have the choice of 6 forks, 3 knives, a half dozen spoons. Grab a roll, fill your water glass when its empty, if you don't like what you ordered, Gram, they will bring you something else.

Really Grams you wore a hat and gloves and stockings, woosh a girdle, too, when you left the house to go to get groceries...who were you trying to impress. You cruised because you could act like a princess with lots of servants running around and pretend you were important....geesh, I think I'd rather go on the water slides, or watch a movie outdoors, or jog around the deck and breath the salt air.

I think I like my Grandkids take on life and understand why they choose Carnival over some of the other "stuffy" cruise lines. They aren't trying to relive a past that means nothing to them....they want their vacation to be a reflection of the things they enjoy in the present, offered in a way that is comfortable and familiar to them. They always tell me that one knife, one fork and one spoon is adequate...who needs all the fru-fru stuff that only causes more work for someone else.

Couldn't of stated it better myself 😜😃👍👍

We only eat in the main dining room about two nights out of a 7 day cruise and don't need napkins put on our laps or tablecloths. And I Love the water pitchers and bread being on the table

Nothing worse than being thirsty and a waiter is no where to be found