After further consideration....the American Table is not good.

artmanr

To add ne more important point: Our food in the MDR was consistently room temperature. I pointed this out in a post on the Imagination thread. We had dinner the 1st night and I nicely pointed this out. Our waiter was also nice and pointed out that was " Only the first night". The 2nd night we were moved to our permanent spot in the MDR...but the same room temp food was still an issue. IDK what do about this...quicker pick up from the wait staff seems pretty obvious. It's hard when we're there to do much, the staff are truly so kind and nice. They work their butts off...so what to do?? :confused::confused:

Simple solution (that I have used several times) When the food is room temperature and not supposed to be, send it back. Tell the waiter the food is not hot and he/she will replace it.

I've only had the AT on one cruise and that was Carnival Liberty. We still had table cloths nightly though. Personally, I liked the new menu as there were some new choices such as Beef Wellington.

On that cruise we had ATD and our service was quite slow nightly. On most cruises we choose ATD and have noticed that service is slower than the scheduled dining times.

I do believe that even though some upscale restaurants no longer use tablecloths, Carnival is doing so for a couple of reasons. One is economical and the other is that many people no longer choose to dress up for dinner, except for elegant night, so the dining room looks more casual to suit the passengers.

I am hoping that the AT dining program will be on all ships by the end of next year. I'm sure there are still tweaks to be made, but I will welcome it on our next cruise.

Thank you for posting your observations. We will go in 10 days a dare excited after 10+ cruises to have a new experience. It's nice to know what to expect and my suspicion is we will enjoy having the water and bread on the table. And I like the idea of adding tablecloths on CE nights to distinguish those nights, and perhaps be more likely to enforce the dress code in the MDR. I am open to change and recognize while I might miss old favorites I will find new. I have never been a fan of their desserts and hoping to find some positive improvements there.

Sweet Dutch Girl - couldn't agree with you more! Times are changing, and Carnival is responding to the change. The good news is - there are other lines for those who insist on tablecloths and 98 pieces of silverware on the table ;). My family wants to relax and have a good time. We'll make sure to do just that in the Conquest this weekend!

As usual you are the bomb Sweet Dutch Girl! ;)

The more people understand Carnival cruise line the better they can make an informed choice. This thread helps that. Thanks OP, even when there's disagreement, it helps get the info to the masses.

Complaining about the "present" not being the same as the "past" is why Grandkids look at their Grandparents with such a questioning look...C'mn Grandma get with the program, embrace the new get rid of the old, join our world, expand your horizons, try something different, life is more casual be more casual, "servants" aren't there so you don't have to lift a finger. Really, Grams food does not taste better because of the place setting, or the tablecloth, or because someone puts a napkin on your lap, or you have the choice of 6 forks, 3 knives, a half dozen spoons. Grab a roll, fill your water glass when its empty, if you don't like what you ordered, Gram, they will bring you something else.

Really Grams you wore a hat and gloves and stockings, woosh a girdle, too, when you left the house to go to get groceries...who were you trying to impress. You cruised because you could act like a princess with lots of servants running around and pretend you were important....geesh, I think I'd rather go on the water slides, or watch a movie outdoors, or jog around the deck and breath the salt air.

I think I like my Grandkids take on life and understand why they choose Carnival over some of the other "stuffy" cruise lines. They aren't trying to relive a past that means nothing to them....they want their vacation to be a reflection of the things they enjoy in the present, offered in a way that is comfortable and familiar to them. They always tell me that one knife, one fork and one spoon is adequate...who needs all the fru-fru stuff that only causes more work for someone else.

Edited by fuddrules

My Sentiments Exactly Sweet Dutch Girl and I'm in my late 50's the less stuffy the better. To be honest with you I always felt a little uncomfortable with all the attention the wait staff showered on us. I can pull my own sit out as well as put a napkin on my lap. I only really need one set of silverware and it will be excellent having a pitcher of water on the table and a basket of rolls too. Give the staff more time to serve the meal. Looking foward to the American Table on the Breeze in January.

Does anybody realize how much water is used to launder those darn tablecloths? As a native Southern Californian, I applaud Carnival for finding a way to lower their water usage onboard.

We've been on severe water restrictions for a while now.

I have experienced the American Table on 3 times this year after doing the old menu on 14 previous cruises. In my opinion, there is nothing to complain about in the American Table experiences.

There are plenty of items on the menu each evening to allow for a choice. Every thing I have ordered has been much better than Olive Garden, which I also like. Is it all 5-star dining level? NO! But I have been in quite a few 5-star restaurants in my life, and not everything on their menus meet the 5-star level either.

The tables without the tablecloths are very attractive. There are many more things in every MDR that could be feared because of "germs" than a sealed wooden table top. If you think a table with a tablecloth on it has less germs than a wooden table then you also need to make sure that your wait staff are wearing germ-proof gloves and clothing and all of the passage ways from the kitchen to the MDR are germ free as well.

Overall, I think the American Table is a great success and a step forward from many years of the same old, same old. Things have to change to make them better. And this is one of those good changes.

Does anybody realize how much water is used to launder those darn tablecloths? As a native Southern Californian, I applaud Carnival for finding a way to lower their water usage onboard.

We've been on severe water restrictions for a while now.

I'm well aware of Southern California's sever drought conditions and water restrictions for it's residents and businesses, and am all for the conservation of natural resources. But am not sure how this applies to or affects a cruise ship in the Caribbean that is abundantly and literally surrounded by oceans of water and thru desalinization can make as much as it needs.

Well written post OP.

Never open a letter apologizing for voicing your opinions.

It worries me when people compare cruise food to Olive Garden in a positive light. If someone likes OG, that's fine. They are popular so they must do something well, but personally I don't like the quality of their food and think cruise food is generally better.

I would have to agree with you , we (me, hubby, 2 dd's and their so's) didn't care for the american table when we were on the Breeze either.

It didnt matter to us how the table was set up, or that the bread was just in a basket on the table since we were family. If I were sitting at a table with strangers I'm sorry but I would not want to share a bread basket......... to many ppl will use their fingers to grab a bun!!! Our biggest complaint was the lack of food choices on the American Menu !!

I'm well aware of Southern California's sever drought conditions and water restrictions for it's residents and businesses, and am all for the conservation of natural resources. But am not sure how this applies to or affects a cruise ship in the Caribbean that is abundantly and literally surrounded by oceans of water and thru desalinization can make as much as it needs.

I agree! As long as they use environmentally safe detergent there shouldn't be a problem with them doing as much laundry as needs to be done. Definitely water is not a limiting feature when you're floating around on an essentially limitless supply of it.

As usual you are the bomb Sweet Dutch Girl! ;)

The more people understand Carnival cruise line the better they can make an informed choice. This thread helps that. Thanks OP, even when there's disagreement, it helps get the info to the masses.

Its call the "fun ships". Lets face it, a lot of us cruise carnival because of the lower fares and more fun. To some the less stuffy dining room is just what was needed.

I'm a 30something old fuddy duddy who likes to put on a nice dress, see my husband in a suit, and have an old fashioned cruise dinner with a tablecloth, too much silverware, and a waiter who unfolds my napkin, fills my water, and asks which type of bread I would like. :D

But I also know that casual is trendy and things like tablecloths are rare these days in real restaurants. What I would really like is for Carnival to designate a few older ships as traditional cruising ships, with a traditional dining experience including dress codes and activities similar to those on the popular journeys cruises. Maybe I will have to look to other cruiselines for that experience, but with so many ships I don't see why they all have to make the same changes.

As for the American Table menu, I am personally looking forward to some of the dishes but am slightly concerned about the more limited menu for my picky family members who were very happy with choices like fried chicken.

As the OP, I want to clarify that the actual menu on the AT was indeed adequate. I always found something that I wanted. I am still confused about the sauces though. Why????

All four of us found something we liked every night. Though escargot was NOT on the menu on the entire 8 night cruise. We usually like that. Also, the Carnival creme brulee is a favorite and it wasn't offered but once.

Overall there are less choices on the AT, but maybe that's not so bad. As long as the offerings are good and tasty. Quality not quantity.

Tablecloth or no tablecloth?: The actual table setting (and yes, the tablecloth) were not inviting to me. That's only my opinion. Except for the Cruise Elegant nights our table was always wet by the end of dinner and a mess. So my reason for liking the table cloths is practical. I don't like a wet sloppy table!! At dessert time I want to hang out chat and enjoy the experience. It was not possible for me with the table all wet and in some cases a mess.

I value other opinions and certainly those who travel a lot and eat out may see more restaurants than others. But, blanket statements that most or almost all restaurants are moving away from tablecloths isn't really helpful. Just say you prefer no table cloth. Unless you have statistics and facts in hand, it's all conjecture.

Here, I'll make my own....lots of restaurants here in Chicago (rated #3 in the US for best food) still use table cloths or a variation of same (e.g. paper over cloth) along with traditional place settings and first class wait service. They appear to be catering to a new up and coming youth movement; young people who appreciate OLD SCHOOL and TRADITIONAL ways of doing things. Imagine that!! What's old is new again!!

Whether you find table cloths classy and traditional or old school and stodgy is your opinion. That's fine. I prefer them in the MDR though. But, then again, 555 does not have them! And that is pretty classy with great service.

I mentioned germs, but prefaced it that I'm not a germaphobe. Some people are though. And I think an argument can be made that wiping down a table with a less than perfectly clean cloth or one soaked in bleach or Lysol is just spreading germs around. I've worked in restaurants and food service and seen lots of that. No thanks. Especially on a cruise ship!!!

The main reasons we like Carnival are the fun activities for a family or our age range. The kids were pre-teens when we started and they loved the planned activities. Now as teens they love being on their own and doing whatever. We like it because we can go on 2 cruises a year and not break the bank. We love the Spa Cabins and the Spa. We like the shows and the live music. The nightlife is pretty good and things don't wind down at 9 pm but keep going.

But, one thing we really liked has changed and hence the letter. I plan to update it before sending to CCL and will incorporate some comments from this board. I think the AT is a work in progress and will evolve. Maybe things will change and I will like it better. Just my opinion and my thoughts.

I don't mind the table cloth thing. I would rather have them than not, but it's not a big deal to me. I do like the water pitcher and the bread basket on the table. I drink a lot of water and I either have to wait for the staff to notice or have time to give me more and then I have to say thank you every time. Silly, I know, but I just want to talk to my family. As for the bread, I can take the piece I want but if I don't like it, I can just get a different one. I imagine I would feel differently sharing a table with strangers, but we never do that.

As for the food, I can never understand people who say they couldn't find anything they liked. Every night, there are selections of poultry, fish, beef, many times pork and some vegetarian item. I really don't get what people are looking for.

It's your opinion and everyone has one, the only thing I would say is you may be a little long winded for what you are trying to achieve.

I will say that in my 59 years, no place setting or cutlery assortment has made me feel "awkward."

Nice letter but you lost me about half way. My recommendation is to shorten it to be more effective. I have yet to try American Table yet but I really don't think it will bother me, if it does I will eat at the Steakhouse more. After a few cruises under my belt I am going for the more relaxed and casual approach now, including anytime dining vs. set time. I loved the old days of meeting new people at the table and getting to know my waiters but these days I would rather just spend more time with my family.

On the Breeze Now.

The AT is a disaster!

Wait staff has lost the rhythm of service.

Dirty plates and silver sit on your table for 20 minutes or more until the next course arrives.

Why can't we have 2 forks on the table or a spoon?

Dessert is afterthought after your dinner .

Coffee another afterthought.

Will consider other cruise lines after this debacle.

Food is barely hot.

Menu is not the problem.

Too many tables not enough staff.

Tips will now suffer.

Please refine this new concept.

Your letter is well written and I respect your opinion. However, I don't understand it. Table cloths and self serve water aren't a big deal. My service is always impeccable and my food is almost always scrumptious. Missing a table cloth or pouring my own water doesn't spark anything in me that I would want to write a thesis size letter about it. Not trying to flame. I just can't relate putting so much thought, time, and effort into something that seems trivial to me.

On the Breeze Now.

The AT is a disaster!

Wait staff has lost the rhythm of service.

Dirty plates and silver sit on your table for 20 minutes or more until the next course arrives.

Why can't we have 2 forks on the table or a spoon?

Dessert is afterthought after your dinner .

Coffee another afterthought.

Will consider other cruise lines after this debacle.

Food is barely hot.

Menu is not the problem.

Too many tables not enough staff.

Tips will now suffer.

Please refine this new concept.

First of all, enjoy your cruise. I appreciate your feedback. That being said, there are a couple of points I have to bring up (and I experienced the Breeze with both dining options this year). First of all, there is no change to the table setup before or after. I can only think you had a server that had challenges. We did not experience and service degradation, cleaning of plates etc, or issues with coffee and dessert. I don't really understand the silverware comment enough for me to comment on.

Lastly, if you think all of this will affect how you tip your staff, my best advice is go meet with the maitre'd now and explain your concerns so they can try and adjust. The wait staff works hard and deserve that.

Edited by jimbo5544

I am very sorry to hear that Carnival is removing the table clothes with the change to the American Table. I'm not obsessed with them, but when I go on a cruise, it is just part of what makes us feel we are doing something special instead of going to a Denny's. I think the OP wrote a good letter, and I agree with several points he made. We go to the trouble of dressing nice for the MDR, not elegant, but nice. We don't go in with shorts and flip/flops, like we can in any restaurant here at home. The MDR or Steakhouse experience is something we look forward to and enjoy, so why are they changing it to be something less than it used to be? Sad news.

I am very sorry to hear that Carnival is removing the table clothes with the change to the American Table. I'm not obsessed with them, but when I go on a cruise, it is just part of what makes us feel we are doing something special instead of going to a Denny's. I think the OP wrote a good letter, and I agree with several points he made. We go to the trouble of dressing nice for the MDR, not elegant, but nice. We don't go in with shorts and flip/flops, like we can in any restaurant here at home. The MDR or Steakhouse experience is something we look forward to and enjoy, so why are they changing it to be something less than it used to be? Sad news.

It is ALWAYS something. CCL's intentions are good, but they may have to face the fact that sometimes one must raise fares to keep the standards reasonable. People get it. By the way, I intend to bring my own paper placemats. That way there is a barrier between us and the table. Easy peasy. :p

It is ALWAYS something. CCL's intentions are good, but they may have to face the fact that sometimes one must raise fares to keep the standards reasonable. People get it. By the way, I intend to bring my own paper placemats. That way there is a barrier between us and the table. Easy peasy. :p

You think the removing of tablecloths is lowering a standard and has something to do with the price of a cruise fare?