Gastro Outbreak on Expolorer of the Seas

waydago

I was really disappointed we couldn't make the meet and mingle. My wife has a few health issues (hence the accessible js) and she wasn't up to it so I chose to look after her instead.

I'm sorry to hear that. No worries, you made the right call ofcourse! Hope she felt better sooner rather than later.

Yes got home from work after having learned of the noro on here, and Ch9 were promoting the cruise from hell/horror cruise or whatever they termed it on every station break & then several times during the actual news.

They didn't show the 'story' until about 50' into the news and it basically fell flat, when they spoke with people who were actually on the cruise. Loved the kid who seemed so happy the ship gave him free movies and mini-bar during his quarantining:) What about the guy who pointed at his travelling companions one at a time & said "sick, sick, sick" & then pointed at himself and said "not sick" :eek: At the end Ch9 begrudgingly ackowledged the ship's crew had done well with both issues.

I think it is all our 'duty' when onboard to do all we can to minimise the risk & to 'call-out' those doing the wrong thing, if not directly but at least by alerting staff. I would do that on land, so why not onboard?

I agree, call them out either directly or by alerting staff. After all they are compromising the health and safety of the ship.

Agreed, I do not have an issue of people not reporting it but only if they confine them selves to their cabin. To go around spreading it is reckless and disgusting, when they know they are sick.

Sorry but have to disagree with one point. Reporting should be mandatory, so infection control protocols can be implemented and a designated cleaning team assigned to the infected passenger's cabin. Otherwise the regular cabin steward will innocently become a carrier via his cleaning equipment as he moves through all his other cabins.

Sorry but have to disagree with one point. Reporting should be mandatory, so infection control protocols can be implemented and a designated cleaning team assigned to the infected passenger's cabin. Otherwise the regular cabin steward will innocently become a carrier via his cleaning equipment as he moves through all his other cabins.

good point

But it is reported indirectly, by confining themselves to their cabin they stop the spread of the disease and their cabin steward would automatically know that someone is ill due to them never leaving the cabin and all the room service Therefore it is reported indirectly.

Over the years, I've been on over 30 cruises and have never had noro/gastro.

My rules:-

1. I ALWAYS wipe down all surfaces in the cabin with anti-bacterial wipes (I always do this on planes as well)

2. I NEVER use public rest rooms

3. Avoid touching lift buttons as much as possible (if I must touch them, I use a pen to push the button)

4. Avoid touching stair rails

5. I don't use salt and pepper shakers and avoid self fill drink stations (I prefer to buy bottled water or coffees from the cafe)

6. and my biggest one, when eating at the buffet, I try to be there as soon as it opens (first go at the food before it has been coughed all over) and I ALWAYS use a serviette to handle the tongs - that may get me some funny looks...but who cares.

1. I ALWAYS wipe down all surfaces in the cabin with anti-bacterial wipes (I always do this on planes as well)

3. Avoid touching lift buttons as much as possible (if I must touch them, I use a pen to push the button)

5. I don't use salt and pepper shakers and avoid self fill drink stations (I prefer to buy bottled water or coffees from the cafe)

6. and my biggest one, when eating at the buffet, I try to be there as soon as it opens (first go at the food before it has been coughed all over) and I ALWAYS use a serviette to handle the tongs - that may get me some funny looks...but who cares.

You are very lucky, perhaps you have a high level of immunity from the noro/gastro diseases as well.

Edited by NSWP

Some good tips:D

But it is reported indirectly, by confining themselves to their cabin they stop the spread of the disease and their cabin steward would automatically know that someone is ill due to them never leaving the cabin and all the room service Therefore it is reported indirectly.

I don't think you understand the importance of infection control and containment. Indirect reporting is ad hoc and not good enough. The cruise companies include a leaflet in every cabin which states that all passengers must immediately report any diarrhoea and or vomiting. If you don't you are putting every other passenger at risk!

An aspect of poor hygiene which I have noticed that hasnt been mentioned is crew behaviour.

I see have seen on every cruise across three lines that bar staff have a bad habit of making contact with the opening of cans and bottles when opening, and touching limes and other fruit when adding them to drinks. It may seem insignificant to give a lime a nudge to drop it in a bottle after using tongs to place it in the neck but it isnt good.

I copped a flithy look on PPearl 4 weeks ago for asking for a new bottle after a staff member picked a lime up with his hands and placed in straight into the bottle. It happens more than people realise.

I have also noticed that staff quite often shake hands with passengers after building a rapport. What they may do in the course of their duties after a few handshakes may not be helping the spread of a virus.

I don't think you understand the importance of infection control and containment. Indirect reporting is ad hoc and not good enough. The cruise companies include a leaflet in every cabin which states that all passengers must immediately report any diarrhoea and or vomiting. If you don't you are putting every other passenger at risk!

I do but as I said, if it is contained to the cabin and the steward reports it, then it can be dealt with appropriately.

To me the passenger should report it why leave it to the steward to walk in on someone that could be contagious and get it him or herself let alone possibly pass it on , as much as I would hate to tell them I would cause that is the right thing to do

To me the passenger should report it why leave it to the steward to walk in on someone that could be contagious and get it him or herself let alone possibly pass it on , as much as I would hate to tell them I would cause that is the right thing to do

Agree with you completely. This is my point. The passenger must take responsibility.

Edited by happysnapper

I can't help thinking there is a little paranoia in regards to Noro. Seemingly excessive use of sanitizer when it is a known fact that it does to the virus but it makes people feel better. Then there's the wet ones, are these responsible for the blocking of plumbing by some who don't dispose of them correctly? (The increased use of these is now causing problems by blocking sewers in city systems).

We don't do anything really different to what we would do at home, the normal hand washing etc., except for a few exceptions i.e. care using the public toilets and using paper towel to open doors on leaving. We use the sanitiser that is dispensed entering and leaving dining areas. We use both MDR and buffet. Have never yet seen anyone cough on food but it probably does happen.

We've been on cruises where Noro has broken out and maybe we're dodging bullets but so far we've remained healthy. A note here - with all this sanitising we are also killing of the good bugs.

I will say one thing though, if you are near anyone who vomits, hightail it in the opposite direction. Noro can indeed spread without actual physical contact. On a princess cruise last year were seated for breakfast and a child at the next table vomnited. We were immediately moved fom our table and the area was sealed of by a "Hazmat" team for sanitizing. Good one Princess.

Have never yet seen anyone cough on food but it probably does happen.

Really never ? some people are just grubs when it comes to public eating areas

A little "paranoia" makes you aware of your surroundings , the best wipes to use contain Benzalkonium chloride, when you are sharing the same space on board with some 2000+ other people , food contamination comes from all sorts of unseen sources, better to be safe than sorry I reckon.

Watch some people at buffet. Using hands to pick up food and yes I call them on it. One lovely "gentleman" on Mariner of the Seas told me to go and procreate, just didn't use those words. Also amazes me how many people use the public restrooms and then walk straight out, no washing of hands! Loved the reporter who informed us that noVo virus had been found on the ship. To put it into perspective from numbers reported 5% had Niro, 95% didn't. Take extra precautions, wash hands before eating etc and hopefully you will be fine.

Not noro related really but on our recent Panama Canal cruise on the Infinity I remember the girl running the trivia and many other activities was fastidious about sanitising pretty much everything she touched including pencils etc and one night she was hosting a " talent quest" and there was a bit of a break before she announced the winners. i went off to the loo, as you do, and "standing" next to me was one of the contestants.( a young English lad with not a bad voice actually) i noticed he did what he had to do and walked straight out without washing his hands. Next thing you know he has won the contest and the fastidious girl eagerly went and shook his hand. :eek::eek::eek: ..if only she knew:D:D

Not noro related really but on our recent Panama Canal cruise on the Infinity I remember the girl running the trivia and many other activities was fastidious about sanitising pretty much everything she touched including pencils etc and one night she was hosting a " talent quest" and there was a bit of a break before she announced the winners. i went off to the loo, as you do, and "standing" next to me was one of the contestants.( a young English lad with not a bad voice actually) i noticed he did what he had to do and walked straight out without washing his hands. Next thing you know he has won the contest and the fastidious girl eagerly went and shook his hand. :eek::eek::eek: ..if only she knew:D:D

Haha! Too funny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22-Jan-2015 Voyager Of The Seas3 Night Sampler Cruise

10-Jan-2014 Voyager Of The Seas3 Night Sampler Cruise

03-Feb-2012 Rhapsody Of The Seas 3 Night Sampler Cruise