New mattresses on the Freedom absolutely hard as a rock!

My wife and I were on the FOS this Christmas the mattress were great really didn't feel any difference compared to last year which we were on.

It's possible that they are changing out mattresses a few at a time rather than all at once.

Let's think about this for a minute logically:

What would RCI gain by providing a rock hard mattress? Where's the extra profit in it? The cost savings, if any, over a softer mattress is negligible So, again, why would they do it?

On the flip side, if the mattress is as bad as it is and it is in every room, you'd think there would a 1000 person line (the other 3000 are OK with it with the concrete bed) at GS on every ship complaining about it. Somehow, I don't think that is happening.

A third way to look at it - what mattress company would want to sell such a firm mattress to RCI knowing people would complain, they may need to take some back and never have RCI as a customer again.

How do you know the cost savings?

The reports are just being posted in the last couple weeks or so.

Companies sell junk all the time. They make their money and move on to the next customer.

I can only report what I was told on the Navigator in December when I inquired about the mattress. There is a "New Mattress Program" that will change out current mattresses. Different ships at different times and not all mattresses will be changed at once. My cabin steward had some new mattresses and some old ones. It is very likely that not everyone on the Freedom is experiencing the same thing the original poster is. All I know is my experience on the Navigator was very different from my previous cruises including my recent Brilliance cruise in October.

I can only report what I was told on the Navigator in December when I inquired about the mattress. There is a "New Mattress Program" that will change out current mattresses. Different ships at different times and not all mattresses will be changed at once. My cabin steward had some new mattresses and some old ones. It is very likely that not everyone on the Freedom is experiencing the same thing the original poster is. All I know is my experience on the Navigator was very different from my previous cruises including my recent Brilliance cruise in October.

We were also on the Brilliance in October and slept great as usual. Adventure in December was a whole different story. We had the same issues as so many others. After the first couple nights, my husband and I changed sides. The side he had been sleeping on was actually a little better than mine was. I said something to him that morning and he agreed. We did get lucky and get the foam mattress topper for the last half of the cruise. This still was in no way close to as comfy as the previous cruises had been. I did make sure to mention this in my review. I told them to feel free to contact us. They called when we were out, and left a message with an ext. I called back and left a message. I have not had a return phone call. I guess I will give them a call back, and talk to anybody. I'll report back once I speak to somebody in person. By the way I had no idea this had been an issue for others until I got back on here after the cruise, and saw several threads.

How do you know the cost savings?

The reports are just being posted in the last couple weeks or so.

Companies sell junk all the time. They make their money and move on to the next customer.

Really? You think some company would risk a multi $M order selling junk to RCI and move on?

I don't know the cost savings, but common sense says it can't be much. Even if it's say $100 cost diff for RCI - do you think they would risk losing customers for the life of the mattress over $100?

Here's a suggestion to those in such a situation - ask the cabin steward to go to the bowels of the ship and get you one of the old mattresses - I'm sure there are still some on board as the switch out occurs during the sailing.:cool:

On Anthem here, I finally told my stateroom attendant to put the heavy comforter on top of the mattress pad, and now the bed is comfy but firm - in a good way. Its a nice hack that avoids bring your own mattress pad.

We had that done on Brilliance, very comfy

Pot Stirrer.

Karen is on Oasis and was told they are replacing 200 a week. Not sure if that is 200 cabins or 200 mattresses. Also no word on the pullmans.

Forgot to add that JS and above are getting new pillow tops

Edited by John&LaLa

Here's a suggestion to those in such a situation - ask the cabin steward to go to the bowels of the ship and get you one of the old mattresses - I'm sure there are still some on board as the switch out occurs during the sailing.:cool:

I should have taken a picture of what they did with the old mattresses off of Brilliance. As there were not one, but a few dumpsters full of old mattresses sitting next her. We were told they were switching them on turn over day.

Edited by ajp76

Karen is on Oasis and was told they are replacing 200 a week. Not sure if that is 200 cabins or 200 mattresses. Also no word on the pullmans.

Forgot to add that JS and above are getting new pillow tops

Sadly our two bedroom suite on Brilliance didn't receive a new pillow top or as least it didn't feel like one. It was a pretty firm mattress.

Sadly our two bedroom suite on Brilliance didn't receive a new pillow top or as least it didn't feel like one. It was a pretty firm mattress.

Technically, the new suite program is only for Oasis and Quantum ships, but no reason that portion of the program couldn't be included in the rest of the ships.

BTW, I'm not trying to say only the suites deserve comfortable mattresses. But there is nothing wrong with having a more luxurious bed in the expensive suites.

BTW, I'm not trying to say only the suites deserve comfortable mattresses. But there is nothing wrong with having a more luxurious bed in the expensive suites.

Hmmmm, perhaps this is the underlying strategy? :p

Anyone been on the enchantment who can confirm if the mattresses have been swapped out? Just booked last minute mini vaca for beginning of February and hoping for the best.

Apparently it's a rolling replacement, so hard to tell. I may be up that way this afternoon, so I could try and see if there are dumpsters of soft, comfy mattresses. ;)

FWIW, 2604 and 8614 were fine in November.

Anyone been on the enchantment who can confirm if the mattresses have been swapped out? Just booked last minute mini vaca for beginning of February and hoping for the best.

Bring your own egg crate foam pad just in case :rolleyes:

Ridiculous

Edited by ryano

Here's a picture of what I did to my mattress on the Liberty over XMAS to be able to sleep. It's their foam pad, their duvet/comforter, my foam pad, their duvet/comforter. I took a picture so I could remember what worked, though I realize their foam pad may not be available on future cruises.

Their foam pad was on the bed when we arrived, eggcrate side down, and we tried that the first night but I couldn't sleep due to sore hips from sleeping on my side. Since we'd brought out own foam pad but weren't sure how much trouble it was going to be to get it out and then pack it back up at the end, we didn't start out with it. We did this the 2nd day and slept better the rest of the week.

LibertyBed.jpg.27d79f0feeda5f4caf48d38ed0dac9fb.jpg

Apparently it's a rolling replacement, so hard to tell. I may be up that way this afternoon, so I could try and see if there are dumpsters of soft, comfy mattresses. ;)

FWIW, 2604 and 8614 were fine in November.

Thanks, may just have to bring an egg crate