Will it happen

GUT2407

When the govt leased the Port of Newcastle they money (it now looks like a bit of it anyway) was to be earmarked for spending in Newcastle.

It's just been announced that one of the projects on the short list is a cruise terminal ($25 Mil) for Newie.

Well here's hoping, P&O had Jewel based here for a very short so at least there is some interest in basing a ship here.

Please no, we'll be good, anything but that.

I didn't think it was that bad, the real issue was getting to it, they now have the ferry service but that is only very recent. If Newcastle have that sorted then it should be good, although they are ripping up the train lines east of Hamilton.:(

Let us hope that there is some sense used with the design and location.:D

Well the latest is that if this proposal goes ahead it will by Dyke Point, pretty much where they dock now, so another White Bay with no infrastructure. You know little things like transport, hotels and the such.

Well the latest is that if this proposal goes ahead it will by Dyke Point, pretty much where they dock now, so another White Bay with no infrastructure. You know little things like transport, hotels and the such.

Bugger, :(

I think it is time you set up a shuttle service company, there is some money to be made.:cool:

Newcastle is a wonderful port to sail into and out of. Truly beautiful. We've sailed in twice (last time was on the Jewel for the 5 Ship Spectacular). Both times there have been free shuttles organised that ran all day into the town centre.

There were friendly volunteers galore to assist passengers and give helpful advice. It is one of the best ports we have ever been to in this respect and there are so many different options for pax to explore while there - including the Hunter Valley.

We did a tour with Newcastle Native and this was brilliant - got to hear about the history of Newcastle and visited places like Nobbys, Fort Scratchley and the new Anzac Bridge. Also saw all the beaches and we finished up with a wine tasting at Inner City Winemakers - unique and interesting open cellar door at Wickham.

For overseas pax the Newcastle Native tour would be superb as they offer tours to Blackbutt Reserve where you can pat Koalas.

I, for one, hope that ships continue to visit Newcastle as it is most definitely worth it! Whether the powers that be do build a Cruise Terminal there or not - I'm not particularly concerned. It works very efficiently the way it is and it really is no different to Brisbane Port just a jolly site closer to the city and much better run.

Edited by annenic

Heres a link to an 80 page report from 2011.

Only 4 years old ...I note its Report No 5, so they are spending taxpayers money on thinking about it.......:D

Location Options Report 5

Newcastle Harbour Cruise Ship Terminal 2011

http://www.hdc.nsw.gov.au/sites/default/files/Final%20cruise%20option%20report.pdf

Heres a link to an 80 page report from 2011.

Only 4 years old ...I note its Report No 5, so they are spending taxpayers money on thinking about it.......:D

Location Options Report 5

Newcastle Harbour Cruise Ship Terminal 2011

http://www.hdc.nsw.gov.au/sites/default/files/Final%20cruise%20option%20report.pdf

Prett much says NCC and P&O want Dyke point so that's the answer.

The stats on how people get to he port in Ydney are useless as Newcatle would be a totally different kettle of fish. They need stats on White Bay o see what's needed at Dykes and Stats for OPT to see what's needed for Tug Berth, Queens Wharf or Throsby (which wasn't even taken into consideration).

oh. Ok. I've obviously been there on the days the Fort has been open

Closed every Tuesday, most Public Holidays and doesn't fire on days they have no visitors.

I can almost spit o Fort Scratchley from my office, reckon you hear it once a week on average.