Why is your suitcase so heavy my Dear ?

6666oz

My wife and I can travel for 6 or 7 weeks that include touring and cruising with 13kgs each (case included) and 5 kgs carry on each. That includes things like the tux and her formal wear with various shoes and such. It is not that hard to keep under weight restrictions for the airlines but it does take some thought about packing and coordination of clothing (tops, etc).:D

Wow that is great. I think part of our problem is that we usually don't pack until the day before we leave. Maybe we need to organise more. We generally fly business so haven't needed to really cut back but those days are coming.

As a mum whom travels with an autistic child. I need to pack light as I need to be able to push a pram, carry all our bags and still be able to walk.

Few tips:

Buy easy dry clothes that all match. Ie choose your colours for the cruise. Ie all your clothes will match. Buy clothes on sale prior to cruising if you need to lessen the load chuck them out.

Packing cubes. I buy pink for me & blue for my son, then rather than putting all his into one bag and mine into another, I mix it up. If a bag goes missing then at least you have some clothes.

Toilet bag: small zip locked bags- take your medications and put these into the zip locked bags rather than keeping them in their full packaging. Leave the tablets in heir blister pack so you don't get them confused.

if prescription take letter from your doctor just in case questioned.

Sardwonder soap- buy one of these for washing in your room. $2 is a lot cheaper than the cruise line price of washing for you. Due to limited space wash every night.

Don't take shampoo with you. Buy what you can at your first port stop. Yes a quick trip to Woolworths can save on what you pack.

Kids toys- borrow from the kids club or buy in port at the $2 shop or Kmart. If going to the islands give toys to the kids there.

Ladies shoes-flat silver sandles look good with everything.

We cross-pack - including sharing out the heavy stuff. For our current NZ cruise plus 3 days preceding in Auckland we packed for all seasons. It's been cool to warm so far but today in Akaroa it's predicted to be hot. We also had to pack Christmas gifts. Our two medium spinner bags and two overnight bags that fit on top were well within the Qantas 30kg per person baggage allowance, and our carry-ons were quite light.

Packing the cool weather clothes has proved effective - the weather has been better than expected.;):D

We also cross pack (just in case one bag goes missing) and we also pack everything into airtight bags, not only does this help with bulk, it also stops everything from getting wet if your bag is left in the rain or such at the airport, boarding the ship, etc.:D

RE shoes I carry 2 pairs of thongs, one to wear around ship, and one brand new pair for when I meet the Captain, my suitcase usually weighs about 17 KG including weight of bag, but the most weight comes from the snorkle gear, my wetsuit weighs 1KG, but I've cut the flippers shorter to save weight.

I buy clothes that can be thrown away, to make way for any duty free shopping I can save about 780 grams buy throwing away my jocks, for about $8 you can buy 10 pairs at BigW, it costs about $6-8 to use the washing machines and dryers, and thats the cost of another drink, and you have the chore of washing.

Its also a scientific fact proved by the Myth busters that you can fit more in your suitcase by rolling your clothes rather than folding.

Dont take FULL bottles of shampoo, toothpaste or deodorant, keep your almost empty bottles of whatever for the cruise and just throw them out last day, speaking of deodorant you dont really need to pack it, just go for a swim in the pool they use chlorinated water right ?

Edited by 6666oz

RE shoes I carry 2 pairs of thongs, one to wear around ship, and one brand new pair for when I meet the Captain, my suitcase usually weighs about 17 KG including weight of bag, but the most weight comes from the snorkle gear, my wetsuit weighs 1KG, but I've cut the flippers shorter to save weight.

I buy clothes that can be thrown away, to make way for any duty free shopping I can save about 780 grams buy throwing away my jocks, for about $8 you can buy 10 pairs at BigW, it costs about $6-8 to use the washing machines and dryers, and thats the cost of another drink, and you have the chore of washing.

Its also a scientific fact proved by the Myth busters that you can fit more in your suitcase by rolling your clothes rather than folding.

Dont take FULL bottles of shampoo, toothpaste or deodorant, keep your almost empty bottles of whatever for the cruise and just throw them out last day, speaking of deodorant you dont really need to pack it, just go for a swim in the pool they use chlorinated water right ?

LOL, :D

Theoretically you you can get 4 days use out of one pair of jocks as well, forwards, backwards, inside out (forwards, backwards).:rolleyes:

My wife and I can travel for 6 or 7 weeks that include touring and cruising with 13kgs each (case included) and 5 kgs carry on each. That includes things like the tux and her formal wear with various shoes and such. It is not that hard to keep under weight restrictions for the airlines but it does take some thought about packing and coordination of clothing (tops, etc).:D

Types of clothes are definitely the key, and layering is your friend :) The pack we did would be what we would take for a 1, 2, 3 month trip etc as we just cycle through the clothes more often and wash when required. I Learnt young how to pack light when we did 3 month road trips where us 3 kids got a small overhead cupboard in the caravan each for all our clothes and personal items :p

Types of clothes are definitely the key, and layering is your friend :) The pack we did would be what we would take for a 1, 2, 3 month trip etc as we just cycle through the clothes more often and wash when required. I Learnt young how to pack light when we did 3 month road trips where us 3 kids got a small overhead cupboard in the caravan each for all our clothes and personal items :p

Yes, It is almost as many clothes for a week trip as it is for a two month trip.:D