Self Service Laundry

collector

Does anyone know if you use cash for the laundry or do they have a way for you to put it on your cabin card?

On our recent cruise on the Caribbean Princess you use your cabin card to get tokens. $3.00 for wash and $3.00 for the dryer

Howard

I was on the Regal and you swipe your cruise card and get tokens to use in the machines. I also bring the individual laundry packets from home instead of purchasing them on board the ship.

Sali

Do you get the tokens right in the laundry room?

We just got off the Crown. There were laundry rooms on either side of the Aloha deck. Each had two washers and two dryers but in the room closest to us one washer was out of order. There was a machine to buy tokens with your cruise card. I had two loads of laundry to do. The dryer took a really long time (3 tokens) so the cost of doing laundry was ridiculous! We are Elite level and could send our laundry out but you have to turn it in by 9am and don't get it back until the next day (6pm). There has to be a better way to manage dirty clothes. What am I missing?

We just got off the Crown. There were laundry rooms on either side of the Aloha deck. Each had two washers and two dryers but in the room closest to us one washer was out of order. There was a machine to buy tokens with your cruise card. I had two loads of laundry to do. The dryer took a really long time (3 tokens) so the cost of doing laundry was ridiculous! We are Elite level and could send our laundry out but you have to turn it in by 9am and don't get it back until the next day (6pm). There has to be a better way to manage dirty clothes. What am I missing?

We always send our clothing out in the evening, not at 9 AM, and it has always been back the next day.:)

We were on the Star in October and only needed one token for a full dryer load.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

We were on the Star in October and only needed one token for a full dryer load.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Same experience on both the Regal and the Ruby. I guess it all depends on how much you throw in the dryer at one time. Oh yeah, and possibly what heat setting you use. :confused:

Save yourself some money and have the products you want--buy some Tide Pods or other product and bring it with you. Light weight' date=' and there will be a little more room in your suitcase after the cruise.[/quote']

Thanks to a tip here on Cruise Critic, unfortunately I've forgotten who the original poster is, I bought a resealable bag of 20 Liquid Capsules from my local $2 shop for AUD$5. As I'm away from home for 10 days, this gives me 2 laundry loads per day, just need to budget for the use of the washer and dryer! Will be FAR less bulky, than bringing disposables with me-1 large packing cube should take the waterproof and the Liquid Capsules in safety. The purchase cost per capsule is 0.20 cents, so, even allowing payment for the washer and dryer at $4 each-compulsive over-budgeter here :D , I think AUD$80 for laundry over 10 days, even with 2 with my cousins where I will have access to a proper clothesline, I daren't trust the weather to be co-operative with "free" sunshine drying-should see me through. Another item added to the Cruise Budget Checklist.

Exactly. You must use the high setting. It's not like your machine at home.

THANK YOU! That time and money-saving tip is now noted for future reference on my Cruise Information Notepad #2.

That's the sort of "Inside Information" that will save much stress.

I think, from memory, it was Husky, and I've forgotten the rest of the name, who suggested sending the laundry out in the evening. I am in a Suite, so could do that. THANK YOU!

I already knew from Cruise Critic to be sure to take a swimsuit and changes of clothes-casual and evening top-in my carry on case.

Just learned that another friend is on the same cruise and in a Window Suite too, so have had a big "Information Sharing" session with him, so he knows the "Insider Tips and Tricks" for easier travelling. My computer will handle the dual voltage; I can charge the mobile-used as an alarm clock-at my cousins before travelling, and only need 1 adaptor to charge the camera.

Oh, I used the high setting and didn't have that much in the dryer. Yes, it only takes one token for the dryer but the dryer I used on the Crown Princess last week didn't dry the clothes very well. I had to run it three times. I've used dryers on board before and they worked well. Just trying to warn whomever might be planning to use the dryer on the Crown on the Aloha deck that they took a long time, one washer was out of order, and one dryer door kept popping open. It's funny how when you post your own experience people try to negate it with their experience on a different ship :) It's all good!

Husky61 good to know you got your clothes back the next day when sending them out late the day before. The laundry slip asks that you send the clothes in by 9am and they won't guarantee their return until 6pm the next day. We had a "not very good" room steward, for the first time ever, and did not trust we'd get our clothes back timely so opted to do our own laundry. And that was a bad experience this time on the Crown. Just letting people know.

Husky61 good to know you got your clothes back the next day when sending them out late the day before. The laundry slip asks that you send the clothes in by 9am and they won't guarantee their return until 6pm the next day. We had a "not very good" room steward, for the first time ever, and did not trust we'd get our clothes back timely so opted to do our own laundry. And that was a bad experience this time on the Crown. Just letting people know.

I should add that we always cruise in a suite, and the room steward said we can send them in any time we like.:):)

Thanks to a tip here on Cruise Critic, unfortunately I've forgotten who the original poster is, I bought a resealable bag of 20 Liquid Capsules from my local $2 shop for AUD$5. As I'm away from home for 10 days, this gives me 2 laundry loads per day, just need to budget for the use of the washer and dryer! Will be FAR less bulky, than bringing disposables with me-1 large packing cube should take the waterproof and the Liquid Capsules in safety. The purchase cost per capsule is 0.20 cents, so, even allowing payment for the washer and dryer at $4 each-compulsive over-budgeter here :D , I think AUD$80 for laundry over 10 days, even with 2 with my cousins where I will have access to a proper clothesline, I daren't trust the weather to be co-operative with "free" sunshine drying-should see me through. Another item added to the Cruise Budget Checklist.

Where are you planning to use this clothes line? You can't use it on the balcony so scratch that idea. And, the cost for the machines is $3.00 US, not $4.00 each. I can't imagine doing 2 loads of wash a day! I don't do that at home. One, someplace mid-cruise, should be sufficient.

Maureen

I have sailed both the Regal and Royal over the past 2 years. The laundry facilities are far superior to the older ships. The washers and dryers are great. It should dry a full load with one token.

I bring my tide pods and another plastic bag with dryer sheets. Saves a few $$$.

I am Elite and also send out my laundry 2 times on a 15 day cruise. However, the day before we disembark I like to do a load of wash so I have nothing more than my sleep clothes and whatever I wear the last day. That way, laundry is so much easier when I get home.

My experience with sending out my laundry is that I get it back at some point the next day, or early the 2nd day. If there are a large number of Elite passengers, it can take a lot longer. Last year, on the Royal, I had friends who didn't get their stuff back for 5 days as a result of an extremely high Elite count. They will warn you about that though.

Someone on the first page was complaining, but I have no complaints. Truthfully, if I didn't mind going home with a suitcase filled with dirty clothes, I probably wouldn't even do it.

Maureen

Where are you planning to use this clothes line? You can't use it on the balcony so scratch that idea. And, the cost for the machines is $3.00 US, not $4.00 each. I can't imagine doing 2 loads of wash a day! I don't do that at home. One, someplace mid-cruise, should be sufficient.

Maureen

For medical reasons I use additional protection over the bottom sheet, which if, sorry if TMI, it catches an "accident" must be washed and dried before next use. I was calculating on AUD$4 for washing and the same for drying a load of washing. I may be over-budgeting, but I'd rather find out on board, that I have TOO MUCH MONEY with me, and can afford to buy myself a very special memento of my 1st cruise!

On that subject, I, because of limited eyesight, require a large display on my watch face. Prefer hands rather than digital-for me easier to see, and like gold rather than silver. Will try on a man's watch to see if it works for me with my particular limited eyesight, not fussy. Have misplaced my good Citizen brand watch, so thinking of looking for 1 on the cruise. It's a repositioning coastal cruise between 2 State Capitals, here in Australia. Please does anyone know the approximate price-can convert USD to AUD if needed? I have found the current conversion formula of USD$4 = AUD$5 so could easily work out approximately what I'd need to bring in On Board Credit to get myself a watch if I can find a suitable one aboard. Another shop to explore-think it's called Facets.