Complementary newspaper in PH category?

Meldrum

On Oceania's website, in Ships > Insignia> Suites and staterooms > Penthouse Suite is listed:

- Choice of daily printed newspaper

However it is not listed when I open the info window of a PH suite category in an itinary page.

Does anyone know if a newspaper will be offered free to PH guests? If not, tegen the information on Oceania's website is misleading!

We have traveled in a PH suite in 2013 and 2014, but not this year. We recently cruised with MSC in a Yacht Club Suite and received a complimentary Belgian newspaper every morning. We could really appreciate it and we hoped it will also be offered free during our August 2016 cruise on Insignia.

There is no free newspaper provided in your PH suite. In the evening you will get a daily extract from USA Today (or Canada, Britain, OZ, etc)

However, there are several full daily papers available for one's use in the executive lounge. These are for the use IN the lounge only. Sadly, but not surprisingly, on our cruise some "entitled" cruisers thought that this applied to all others only but did not apply to them and removed the paper to their suite regularly :mad:

Also, you might be able to get a Belgian newspaper for your suite for a fee - need to inquire about this onboard.

So you do get a complimentary newspaper in the lounge but not in your PH suite.

Edited by Paulchili

But there is no lounge on Insignia.

I find it misleading that Oceania list 'Choice of daily printed newspaper' as one of the PH priviliges, when in reality it is not.

Can it be bought onboard and if yes, at what cost? I presume they will use the same serviceprovider as MSC and maybe there will be a choice of up to three Belgian newspapers.

I will bring my iPad and with the 500 free internet minutes might be able to download an electronic version of my newpaper, but I know wifi will be very slow...

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

But there is no lounge on Insignia.

I find it misleading that Oceania list 'Choice of daily printed newspaper' as one of the PH priviliges, when in reality it is not.

Can it be bought onboard and if yes, at what cost? I presume they will use the same serviceprovider as MSC and maybe there will be a choice of up to three Belgian newspapers.

I will bring my iPad and with the 500 free internet minutes might be able to download an electronic version of my newpaper, but I know wifi will be very slow...

Sorry about that - I missed the Insignia part. I am not sure about the price for the papers and which ones would be available.

Don't count too heavily on downloading your paper on the ship as internet is too slow for that - OK for e mails, etc. Faster very late and very early - before it gets busy.

Depending on where you are cruising, you can use your iPad to download papers in local Starbucks, McD, etc and some port terminals.

There is no free newspaper provided in your PH suite. In the evening you will get a daily extract from USA Today (or Canada, Britain, OZ, etc)

However, there are several full daily papers available for one's use in the executive lounge. These are for the use IN the lounge only. Sadly, but not surprisingly, on our cruise some "entitled" cruisers thought that this applied to all others only but did not apply to them and removed the paper to their suite regularly :mad:

Also, you might be able to get a Belgian newspaper for your suite for a fee - need to inquire about this onboard.

So you do get a complimentary newspaper in the lounge but not in your PH suite.

Yes, I read it in the lounge when I want to. And I do not take it with me. Nowhere it is said I will get in my PH.

@RJB: it is mentioned on this webpage: https://www.oceaniacruises.com/ships/insignia/suites-staterooms/penthouse-suite/

It is indeed not mentioned on the webpages of PH suites on Riviera.

Maybe because there are executive lounges with newspapers on Riviera and Marina, but not on the R-ships?

Oh well, if it costs less than $10, I might request one on the sea days. On other days we go ashore and look for a bar with free WiFi to download our digital newspaper.

The only time that I recall getting a daily paper (other than the abbreviated one delivered to everybody at night) was when we were in a VS or OC on Marina. Mostly (especially in the past 7-8 years) when we're on an "R" ship we're in a PH. Never got a paper there ... could have bought it as suggested above but that never occurred to me.

There's a possibly lower level solution that might work. I order summaries of the daily paper from the NY Times which comes to subscribers through email. Usually there are 3 articles per section (you can pick and choose the sections you want). It's not so huge that it takes hours to download. It's a 2-3 line summary of the article along with its title, so it's not the same as reading the article but it does give you an idea of what is happening "out there". If you really want to see an article, there is a link that will allow you to read it.

I don't know if other newspapers offer a similar service but in these digital days it seems like they well might.

Mura

The only time that I recall getting a daily paper (other than the abbreviated one delivered to everybody at night) was when we were in a VS or OC on Marina. Mostly (especially in the past 7-8 years) when we're on an "R" ship we're in a PH. Never got a paper there ... could have bought it as suggested above but that never occurred to me.

There's a possibly lower level solution that might work. I order summaries of the daily paper from the NY Times which comes to subscribers through email. Usually there are 3 articles per section (you can pick and choose the sections you want). It's not so huge that it takes hours to download. It's a 2-3 line summary of the article along with its title, so it's not the same as reading the article but it does give you an idea of what is happening "out there". If you really want to see an article, there is a link that will allow you to read it.

I don't know if other newspapers offer a similar service but in these digital days it seems like they well might.

Mura

We get the digital version of the San Francisco Chronicle by e-mail link each morning. It's a web based and interactive mirror image of the printed newspaper. Have been able to access it onboard (unlimited internet package).

We get the digital version of the San Francisco Chronicle by e-mail link each morning. It's a web based and interactive mirror image of the printed newspaper. Have been able to access it onboard (unlimited internet package).

Ditto here - most of the time, anyway :D

Also have digital version of the Times,but much rather have a newspaper in my hand to read.

You do realize that they don't fly newspapers out to meet the ships, right?

It's a reprint of the content, and resembles a report more than a newspaper.

-It wouldn't be right to wrap fish and chips in it. ;)

Edited by StanandJim

You do realize that they don't fly newspapers out to meet the ships, right?

It's a reprint of the content, and resembles a report more than a newspaper.

-It wouldn't be right to wrap fish and chips in it. ;)

I am sure you understand that it is a digital reprint of that days edition with all sections,all photos and advertisements as if you had bought it off a newsstand.

I am sure you understand that it is a digital reprint of that days edition with all sections,all photos and advertisements as if you had bought it off a newsstand.

Sure, but they don't print it on newspaper sized sheets, so all of that content translates into a stack of paper two inches thick.

Sure, but they don't print it on newspaper sized sheets, so all of that content translates into a stack of paper two inches thick.

Have never seen a 2 inch thick reprint in the lounge. You sure they print the whole thing?

Since I subscribe to McPaper, I receive a daily e-mail of most of it. So when I bring up my e-mail in the morning, there is my USA Today without a long download delay. I also have cell phone aps for local paper and news websites which keep me adequately informed even at Oceania AtSea download rates.

JMBobB

Have never seen a 2 inch thick reprint in the lounge. You sure they print the whole thing?

The do. It's a huge number of trees involved, very high and with teensy print that can be hard on older eyes even with glasses. But it's there, which is always welcome. (I'm talking about the NY Times and the Wall St Journal which are the two papers we have requested. I forget what other papers are available.)

The "free" version distributed in the evening is only about 4 pages, or is it 8? It has the highlights of the news from various papers, is not complete at all except that of course you can keep up with what is happening. As you can if you turn on your TV ...

Mura

This thread has traversed the past experience of many of us on O. However the OP asked about the statement "Complimentary choice of newspaper" listed under the benefits for PH category. That statement is certainly there when you access details for PH for Regatta and was certainly not previously listed. The real question is whether this is a newly introduced benefit (alongside internet benefits) ?

I asked Oceania Europe about the complimentary newspaper and they replied: "The newspapers are $6.50 per day, per newspaper for PH suites and the below grades."

When I said it is listed on their website as a privilige for PH guests on Insignia and other R-ships they seem to be confused as well as they replied: "I have passed your query on to our Head Office as it seems we have conflicting information regarding this in our office. I will contact you as soon as I have a reply.".

As soon as I have their answer, I will post it here.

Happy Christmas to all!

My suggestion is to use your Kindle or other device. We cancelled free Boston Globes because it was too big and killed too many trees. The download on the electronic Globe was $0.99 per day, and not slow, and kept me up to date with the Patriots. Thoroughly satisfactory:)