How do we attach luggage tags at the port??

3CanadianBears

The hotel will have staplers available for you to attach your tags. Any of the hotels frequented by cruisers know that lots of people will want this.

Another option is to take a roll of tape with you and use that to tape the ends of the tag together after you loop it through the suitcase handle - we did this one time when we got off one ship at Port Everglades and went to another ship in the same port.

We always print 2 copies of each persons luggage tag and attach to 2 different

handles on each case - just in the off chance that one of the tags gets ripped off. Honestly, in approximately 11 cruises this has always worked and we have never had any problems.

Total newbie question.... I have the luggage tags printed. We are flying, so can't put them on at home. Likely I should ask at the hotel where we are staying overnight for a stapler to attach them? What if I forget to do this? Thanks!

If you get to the dock with unattached luggage tags, the porters at the dock will have luggage tags that you can fill out and can easily be attached at the dock.

We use the clear packing tape method putting the tag around the luggage handle. Quite strong and have not lost one yet.

Was just going to post the same. We use clear packing tape and this makes the tags super strong. We also bought a mini stapler from the dollar store, works great. :)

Thanks all. I like the packing tape idea; no time to purchase the luggage tags. One more detail taken care of :)

Yes, we printed off our luggage tags and taped them up before we even left home - took them with us, nice and flat. After we had arrived at our hotel, we took off our airline luggage tags and put on our cruise luggage tags.

My color printer is an inkjet and the ink is WATER SOLUBLE, which means that the ink will run if it gets wet. So I take the extreme measure of covering the entire luggage tag with clear packing tape before I fold it up. I guess I'm OCD but it works for me. :D

Another vote for the mini-stapler - weighs almost nothing, takes up very little space. It's also come in handy in attaching laundry tags to the bags and stapling the bags closed - can stuff more in that way for the 'fixed price per bag' specials.

We simply carry a roll of Scotch Tape (which can come in handy on a trip) and tape the tags. Using tape to seal the paper tags works very well (when done properly it is even stronger then a few staples). We have also used a mini stapler...but find the tape is better and if it is going to be a rainy day you can actually tape the entire label and make it water resistant. The other option is to cruise with Celebrity since they still will mail custom luggage tags (with your name and cabin number) at no charge (you must request the tags on your online cruise personalizer).

Hank

I print, tape, fold and punch a hole. No staple for me.

Tags are attached to the handle ring. Not directly on the handle. Use zip tie (NYLON and not plastic).

I print an extra set of tags and place in the carry on bag along with complete intinerary, date, time, flight numbers, hotel, etc. including cell phone numbers and internet contact,and place in the front pocket of each bag. Every bag gets a tag. Even the carry on as so many bags look alike and in the rush to get off of the plane, many folks just don't pay attention to the bag they grab. Tag will give them a clue.

This is all done before we leave home. Never had a problem. Never lost a tag. Everyone can see where the bag needs to be at any given time. Never have had a lost luggage problem.

May sound a little anal, however, it is cheap insurance in my mind. ;)

The porters have REAL tags...let them attach them!!!

Not always a good idea. We watched folks, embarking on a cruise out of Port Everglades, standing out in pouring down rain (with their luggage getting drenched, while a Longshoreman was looking for a another worker who had some luggage tags (which would then have to be filled out in the rain). For those that already had their luggage (moi) it took a few seconds to drop off the luggage and move into the terminal. When we arrive at any embarkation port, the last thing we want to do is stop to have to deal with one more issue (getting luggage tags). We have also embarked in foreign ports where not having luggage tags turned into a major problem because none of the luggage handlers spoke English or had tags. It was then a matter of a lengthy wait while somebody had to go get a cruise line employee who had the necessary tags (and language skills).

Hank

Edited by Hlitner