Riviera service spotty and a little cheap

hedy7813

On mass market lines, the robes (of thin material, if there any robes in the first place) are removed to prevent "guests" from stealing them as they pack to go home.

We've never had our robes removed on Oceania; this must be a new policy. If so, it's possible this might be the first, tiny sign that NCL mentality is having some effect on Oceania as personnel are mixed.

Didn't receive a tote bag? OP also didn't get priority bookings for specialty restaurants, didn't get a bottle of sparkling wine in the stateroom, didn't get vouchers for free pressing, didn't get cashmere lap robes, and didn't get to order a hot breakfast via room service -- how cheap!!! Not on the part of the cruise line, but on the part of the OP for not paying the price to get that stuff.

Folks, Cruise "Critic" doesn't mean searching for things about which to be negative; even film critics like some movies.

{EDIT} As happens often, Lyn and I had the same thought about the robes; she just says it in fewer words and posts sooner! Thanks, Lyn!

Robes are removed on mass market lines??? Really? Never on any of my HAL cruises. Our robes, glasses, toilet paper and towels all remain ;)

"On mass market lines, the robes (of thin material, if there any robes in the first place) are removed to prevent "guests" from stealing them as they pack to go home." hondorner"

Have to agree with Kazu. I love Oceania but the robes on HAL are thinner -yes - but more comfortable to wear in the Caribbean than the thick O robes. Just came back last month from HAL and my robe was still on a hook on last day and there were 2 "new" ones in the closets for the next passengers.

I guess this and other threads prove that every line is different, and what every passenger is looking for and flexibility is different. We are lucky that we have such wide choices. If one doesn't work out its just part of life. If it works out for others that's great. If I had a bad time no one can convince me I didn't and if I loved it no one can convince me I didn't.

When did HAL become mass-market? It is generally listed with other "premium" cruise lines (Princess, Celebrity, etc.). In any event, I agree with hondorner and Mura! If the Riviera had the right itinerary, we would not hesitate to book a cruise on her. IMO, a booking decision should not be made based on conflicting "perceptions"..... but again, that is my opinion and may not be yours.

Edited by Travelcat2

last month on HAL the ice bucket was removed the last night & they took my bottle of water out of the fridge ..they did leave it on the desk for me though

I do not remember if the robes were there or not but we had 1 bath towel left

Sometimes it may be selective memory for people's favourite line ;)

last month on HAL the ice bucket was removed the last night & they took my bottle of water out of the fridge ..they did leave it on the desk for me though

I do not remember if the robes were there or not but we had 1 bath towel left

Sometimes it may be selective memory for people's favourite line ;)

nope, no selective memory on my part.;) Bathrobes were not removed on my cruises on Princess, NCL or Celebrity either ;)

On mass market lines, the robes (of thin material, if there any robes in the first place) are removed to prevent "guests" from stealing them as they pack to go home.

We've never had our robes removed on Oceania; this must be a new policy. If so, it's possible this might be the first, tiny sign that NCL mentality is having some effect on Oceania as personnel are mixed.

Didn't receive a tote bag? OP also didn't get priority bookings for specialty restaurants, didn't get a bottle of sparkling wine in the stateroom, didn't get vouchers for free pressing, didn't get cashmere lap robes, and didn't get to order a hot breakfast via room service -- how cheap!!! Not on the part of the cruise line, but on the part of the OP for not paying the price to get that stuff.

Folks, Cruise "Critic" doesn't mean searching for things about which to be negative; even film critics like some movies.

{EDIT} As happens often, Lyn and I had the same thought about the robes; she just says it in fewer words and posts sooner! Thanks, Lyn!

on,

Our robes have been removed the night before on every single cruise on which we have sailed on O. In fact I always ask if they will take them away as I find they take up too much room and the are too big and bulky for me, yet that is not the case for Jim;). Have never had glasses removed but when we were on Marina with the ecoli our champagne bucket was taken out early.

I sincerely regret that you weren't able to experience that cruise. You don't know what you missed and I certainly have as much right as anyone to post factual information which I hardly consider "whining." It was an absolutely dreadful mess of a cruise.

\

I am ready for some positive people and enough of this whining and complaining.

Personally I like to read all comments, not just the rosy ones.

O is one of the very few ocean cruise lines we will even consider sailing with these days. But they are not inexpensive and we do care about the details of what others are experiencing, especially the O repeaters.

Edited by caviargal

Personally I like to read all comments, not just the rosy ones.

I personally feel the same way, but this has gone on for weeks now. Perhaps, you are just starting to follow these threads?

I just do not understand why some of these posters on their "cruise from hell" keep letting us know how "hellish" it was. It is so repetitive and I have heard the same repetitious points made for too long. Cheers to all (from a plastic cup)...Hope you find satisfaction in the New Year 2016.

P.S. In a Vista Suite you get 2 robes each, one lovely terry and a very soft silk robe. Comes with a price though ;-)

I personally feel the same way, but this has gone on for weeks now. Perhaps, you are just starting to follow these threads?

I just do not understand why some of these posters on their "cruise from hell" keep letting us know how "hellish" it was. It is so repetitive and I have heard the same repetitious points made for too long. Cheers to all (from a plastic cup)...Hope you find satisfaction in the New Year 2016.

P.S. In a Vista Suite you get 2 robes each, one lovely terry and a very soft silk robe. Comes with a price though ;-)

It is not one "cruise from hell". There are different threads by different posters for different cruises. I truly wish it had been one cruise and an anomaly. I just would have preferred not to be on it. ;)

Oceania's site lists amenities by suite category. The tote bag is mentioned as an amenity for Owners, Vista, Oceania, Penthouse and Concierge level suites. It is NOT listed as an amenity for any of the other cabins. Which is probably why there was no tote bag in the reviewer's cabin...

I suppose a logical reason for removing the bathrobes on the penultimate day of a cruise is that they have to be laundered for the next occupants. Laundering well over 1000 bathrobes in one day would be an impossible task for any laundry... Since we never use the bathrobes (either we are dressed or undressed and in bed - we don't use them to walk around our suite) I don't know if ours were taken the day before arrival or not. I would assume they were but for me they just take up unnecessary space in the cupboard...

I'm also one that never uses the robes, we ask for them to be removed the first day of the cruise, they simply take up too much room in the small closets, not really a problem in the Oceania Suite though.

For those that keep finding fault with O vs their cruise line of choice, my suggestion is don't sail with O again. Plain and simple. I have read enough of this negativity for weeks now. We get the hint so please quit telling us how bad O is for you. Some of us are fine with O, and we also enjoy other lines too.

I am ready for some positive people and enough of this whining and complaining.

I like Lyn's quote "life has an expiration date". Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas!

You can take it from someone that cruises Oceania quite a bit and likes them that there is very much validity to what is being reported. The attitude & communication I saw and experienced on Riviera is enough to cause concern about them.

I have cruised on Oceania six times in less than three years. All our cruises with Oceania have been excellent until this cruise on the Riviera. Though I do not confess to be a "cheerleader", I have been trying to let my fellow friends on HAL where I am five star, know how wonderful an experience my prior Oceania cruises have been. This cruise was a disappointment !

The purpose of the CC is to express your opinions whether good or bad whether they occur over the Holidays or not!

I have cruised on Oceania six times in less than three years. All our cruises with Oceania have been excellent until this cruise on the Riviera. Though I do not confess to be a "cheerleader", I have been trying to let my fellow friends on HAL where I am five star, know how wonderful an experience my prior Oceania cruises have been. This cruise was a disappointment !

The purpose of the CC is to express your opinions whether good or bad whether they occur over the Holidays or not!

I can vouch for that :) (the bolded by me).

Your posts and others who enjoyed O were one of the reasons we wanted to try O. We were looking for something better than HAL.

I am sorry that you were disappointed as well.

Edited by kazu

I had my first and probably last experience on Oceania and I think I am finished reading the threads (but do agree there is a need to hear about the good, bad and the ugly). I will leave with this as my grand finale. Our robes were left until we disembarked - our spare roll of toilet paper was taken the day before (with less then a half roll left). Our steward told DH to call if he needed more. So, we finally figured out a use for the portable phone!

I just received my blue booklet for our upcoming February Sands & Shores cruise on Riviera, our fourth Riviera cruise in just over two years. I have not been so much alarmed at the spate of negative threads since I returned to these boards a couple of weeks ago after a hiatus - Noro is a terrible thing to have on one's special cruise and I truly sympathize with all who endured having it onboard with them. However, I am concerned and very saddened by the persistence of some posters (and I certainly do not mean the OP of this thread) in reiterating the same complaints over and over to the tune of dozens of pages for certain threads.

I never use the too heavy bathrobes; if not taken away earlier because of my placing them out of my way on the top shelf, they always are removed the last night; I never have been given an O tote bag (although I won one using my trivia "O" points!) but I have enjoyed every cruise I have taken. I hope and plan to enjoy my next one as well.

Edited by CintiPam

With all that negative reviews posted, it's really important to separate small things from those on the bigger scale.

As for removed bathrobes, on our first Oceania cruise I was surprised when I didn't find them in the cabin on the last afternoon. I mentioned that to our cabin attendant and in five minutes two clean robes were brought for us to use on the last day. On our next cruise we were prepared to miss the bathrobes at the end and never bothered to ask for replacement.

Otherwise we had three enjoyable cruises with Oceania so far. Never focused on minor things like free tote bags though. Looking forward for more positive reviews on this board as we have another two cruises already booked.

I am reading these forums cause I am sailing with O on the Riviera january 23th for the first time, we are in our early 40's, I sincerely hope after reading these posts that we are not on a cruise packed with grumpy old people complaining about salt and pepper shakers...bath robes and removed glasses or whatever.

To all those grumpy ones....get an 'O life' and keep those complaints for in the elderly home.

Happy cruising! I know I will!

So far the really bad service seems to be on Riviera lets' hope they get more training soon

I am sure the NORO on the crossing did not help matters

They need a supervisor that works as well as supervises some only supervise

I miss Carlos ;)

Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays to all

I have never considered myself an "old person" nor do I "whine". My purpose in starting this thread was to point out service issues and incidents that occurred on what is rated as a 5 star ship and cruise line. I have sailed many times on Windstar, Holland American, Princess, Royal Carribbean and Celebrity. We wanted to try Oceania because everyone just raved about the ship and the cruises. Yes....it was more expensive. Yes...the ship was beautiful. Yes....the food was excellent. BUT and it is a big but....we did expect 5 star service and we did not get it. I too hope it's a one-off situation and the training and the staff improves.

And for those of you who don't want tote bags....fine. It was not that I needed another tote bag...to me it was an example of being a little cheap.

And so I close. I hope everyone who sails on Oceania and the Riviera in the future have a wonderful 5 star experience. I hope any problems that I and others experienced on this cruise are an anomaly and have been or will be corrected. It is a beautiful ship and one should have 5 star service whether you are in a suite or an inside cabin.

And for those of you who don't want tote bags....fine. It was not that I needed another tote bag...to me it was an example of being a little cheap.

And so I close. I hope everyone who sails on Oceania and the Riviera in the future have a wonderful 5 star experience.

I think it is pretty clear that tote bags are only given in the Concierge cabins & above

I am not sure what 5* service is so cannot comment

Oceania has never said they were a Luxury line it is something TA's or website say to get you to pay the extra $$ for Oceania ;)

Enjoy whatever cruise you choose