Riviera service spotty and a little cheap

hedy7813

Just returned from the Mayan Mystique on the Riviera. The ship is beautiful and well maintained. However, the service in the Terrace Cafe was spotty at best. We had to clear our own tables, orders for drinks weren't delivered, etc. It was as if the entire crew was new! The service did get better by the end of the trip. The staff in the specialty restaurants was much better and more attentive.

When have you not received a tote bag??? We did not receive one and found out that you only received one if you were on concierge service or higher. Now that's cheap!! But you do still get chocolates at night!

Our glasses were removed on the last day before arriving in Miami. Our friends in concierge service received plastic glasses....we received nothing. I solved the problem by calling room service for a bottle of water AND 2 glasses.

I ordered 2 bathrobes and slippers at the boutique and they were to be delivered to the room. I was packing and no bathrobes. I called and they delivered 2 bathrobes on hangers...the kind you find in the closet when you get on the ship. I asked if they were new? A few minutes later someone in reception called to say they had made a mistake and they had our packaged NEW robes and would deliver them. We waited almost an hour and my husband finally took the 2 robes on hangers to reception and picked up our robes.

I had such high expectations for the Oceania line and was so disappointed. The highlight was the food. It was excellent and you could have lobster any time you wanted.

Oh oh - sorry to hear this - some of your post sounds familiar. We were taken by surprise when on the day before the end of the cruise items were taken from our cabin by the stewards. DH went and got some things back. It was like O figured our cruise was over - except we paid for 14 days.

When have you not received a tote bag??? We did not receive one and found out that you only received one if you were on concierge service or higher. Now that's cheap!! But you do still get chocolates at night!

I have never received a tote bag in the B cabins or lower on Oceania

or are you talking about getting them on other lines ??

On other lines we generally get a cheapy tote(think reusable shopping bag type) in the lower rooms.

I've got so many of these darn things that sometimes we just leave them. We also have a ton that my wife collected over the years at seminars when she was still working in Education.

I really don't see the lack of one a big deal in the lower rooms on Oceania. I'm much more concerned about the service comments, as it looks like it's becoming too common on Riviera. On our cruise with the noro we were willing to overlook it, but if the pattern is continuing then someone needs to properly motivate the managers and supervisors in F & B on Riviera. People are not exaggerating, it was a very valid problem at times.

We were on the b2b for 20 days beginning on 12/2, ending 12/22. Yes, service lacked. Not because they didn't try imho, because they weren't told properly what do do. They lacked training, and in the Terrace specifically, there simply weren't enough servers or waitstaff. 1 waitstaff in entire section of dining area simply isn't enough to get beverages for 20 tables, while trying to clean up plates left. In most occasions folks just piled their plates out of frustration on empty unused tables because in some cases, the staff never came to pick them up, let alone trying to get a refill on water or coffee. If you are a milk drinker...forget it, not once did I ever get milk in terrace prior to finishing eating. Ok cruise, I did review it, but it hasn't been published yet, but the cruise was filled with glitches in service. We are waiting for quite some time prior to booking another O cruise...just seeing if this is another one off, due to the code red for 19 out of 20 days, or if we truly have to go find another cruiseline. Just really inconsistent...fish served was very good, beef in our opinion was "choice" not prime, and virtually inedible due to trying to saw through the gristle. Service imho was waaayyy off. Not the usual O experience. My review should be published in review section in the next day or so.

It certainly sounds like those Nov/Dec cruises on the Riviera were a disaster from several points of view - Noro issues, poor service (sick staff? poorly trained staff?), poor communication and lack of action to correct things, etc.

Lets hope that this is a temporary glitch and gets fixed ASAP. More recent reports from Riviera sound encouraging.

During the same time (entire November) we were on the Marina and things were as excellent as usual in all respects. I am inclined to think that this was an issue on the Riviera only (for whatever reason) as there were no similar complaints from any of other O ships.

At this point I would not contribute this to NCL merge.

Time will tell.

It certainly sounds like those Nov/Dec cruises on the Riviera were a disaster from several points of view - Noro issues, poor service (sick staff? poorly trained staff?), poor communication and lack of action to correct things, etc.

Lets hope that this is a temporary glitch and gets fixed ASAP. More recent reports from Riviera sound encouraging.

During the same time (entire November) we were on the Marina and things were as excellent as usual in all respects. I am inclined to think that this was an issue on the Riviera only (for whatever reason) as there were no similar complaints from any of other O ships.

At this point I would not contribute this to NCL merge.

Time will tell.

Heard that a new GM just came on so I would think that would help.

My husband and I are booked for our first Oceania cruise on Riveria in February 2016. As I read these reviews, it makes me wonder if Oceania will really be worth the extra money. I know these things are subjective but I am hoping these service issues will be resolved and the wonderful reviews will begin to come in. Thanks for the vent.

My husband and I are booked for our first Oceania cruise on Riveria in February 2016. As I read these reviews, it makes me wonder if Oceania will really be worth the extra money. I know these things are subjective but I am hoping these service issues will be resolved and the wonderful reviews will begin to come in. Thanks for the vent.

If it's any help for you, my Ta (21st O cruise) and my friend( her 6th O cruise) were on the Dec 2nd cruise right after the transatlantic Noro cruise.

Other than a late embarkation, they both said they had a great time and didn't notice anything substantially different from previous cruises. My friend's husband who cruises because my friend wants him to - he can take or leave a cruise - said it was the best cruise he had ever been on . They booked another cruise on board.

We were on the b2b for 20 days beginning on 12/2, ending 12/22. Yes, service lacked. Not because they didn't try imho, because they weren't told properly what do do. They lacked training, and in the Terrace specifically, there simply weren't enough servers or waitstaff. 1 waitstaff in entire section of dining area simply isn't enough to get beverages for 20 tables, while trying to clean up plates left. In most occasions folks just piled their plates out of frustration on empty unused tables because in some cases, the staff never came to pick them up, let alone trying to get a refill on water or coffee. If you are a milk drinker...forget it, not once did I ever get milk in terrace prior to finishing eating. Ok cruise, I did review it, but it hasn't been published yet, but the cruise was filled with glitches in service. We are waiting for quite some time prior to booking another O cruise...just seeing if this is another one off, due to the code red for 19 out of 20 days, or if we truly have to go find another cruiseline. Just really inconsistent...fish served was very good, beef in our opinion was "choice" not prime, and virtually inedible due to trying to saw through the gristle. Service imho was waaayyy off. Not the usual O experience. My review should be published in review section in the next day or so.

Inconsistency was the biggest issue we saw as well. Too many times the plates just weren't cleared. and more.

The service was not at all what I expected and I didn't think I had high expectations. Just thought it should have been better service than HAL.

Sorry that you had the same experience - I was really hoping our cruise was an anomaly and we were just unlucky.

Looking forward to your review.

If it's any help for you, my Ta (21st O cruise) and my friend( her 6th O cruise) were on the Dec 2nd cruise right after the transatlantic Noro cruise.

Other than a late embarkation, they both said they had a great time and didn't notice anything substantially different from previous cruises. My friend's husband who cruises because my friend wants him to - he can take or leave a cruise - said it was the best cruise he had ever been on . They booked another cruise on board.

It seems clear that not everyone has reacted the same way. That makes it highly problematical for those of us who were NOT on the cruise to decide which reports are correct. Or which perceptions are correct.

For me, I wouldn't hesitate to book Riviera (that's the one ship we haven't been on yet -- okay, we haven't been on Sirena either but we are booked for a Sirena cruise in October '16 -- given the differing opinions. I just prefer to make up my own mind. And I am well aware that one cruise which is considered a disaster by many might not be the opinion of people on the same ship 6 months later.

I do find it difficult to wrap my mind around the fact that so many people who post here were SO unhappy with Riviera where that unhappiness does not appear to have gone through the fleet.

Call me a cheerleader if you like, I won't care.

Mura

In response to Mura's comments....perception is when one talks about something such as food quality. Reality is when specific incidents are stated that occurred on the 12/12 trip. Others on our cruise also mentioned disappointment with the service in the Terrace Cafe and the fact that items were removed from the cabins prior to disembarkation. And yet so many others have truly enjoyed Oceania and the Riviera. I too would hope that this is a "one off" with the training of the crew and people will be able to enjoy Riviera when they cruise.

Bathrobes were always removed on the last evening. Our assumption was there were not enough robes for a total substitution. There was a notice in Currents on our TA on Riviera. It had nothing to do with the noro outbreak. . The tote bag issue is beyond me. In the many discussions of the benefits of concierge, the bag is hardly ever even spoken of, it is in Os description.

Bathrobes were always removed on the last evening. Our assumption was there were not enough robes for a total substitution. There was a notice in Currents on our TA on Riviera.

I agree ..annoying as it is the bathrobes have always been removed at nightly turn down, but they do warn you

Sometimes the ice buckets disappear but never had the glasses taken that is a new one

I am not sure why only the Riviera is having the problems other than Noro

most unusual from our past experiences on O

I just hope it is not a new trend :eek:

I agree ..annoying as it is the bathrobes have always been removed at nightly turn down, but they do warn you

Sometimes the ice buckets disappear but never had the glasses taken that is a new one

I just hope it is not a new trend :eek:

We found out on the last day that the glasses were taken and replaced with plastic as part of a CDC inspection in Miami upon arrival.

This was our 5th cruise on the Riviera in the past 2-1/2 years. This was the first time we were very disappointed with the service; as described by others.

I too found myself removing dirty dishes at the tables and having to get coffee and other drinks on our own at the Terrace Cafe. Our cabin stewards performed poorly. I do not know if it was due to the Noro virus, bring over worked or not properly trained. I reported these issues to Guest Services on Day 3, seem to get better, then worse towards the end of the cruise.

We are also sailing for the first time with O on Riveria. After reading all the comments I am having some doubts myself. Really hoping the issues are exaggerated a little and the majority of passengers are still happy with Oceania - not getting a warm feeling though - way too many complaints.

Lol...I left a rather terse note instructing that under no circumstance were our robes to be removed. They stayed! Also demanded ice and glasses that were delivered. Sheesh, what cruise line does this? Tackey to say the least. It's like saying, Off, we are officially done with you. Get off and leave us to torture our next passengers. Maybe an explanation about why the robes needed to go would help but that didn't happen. All about The O attitude for me.

Oceania's site lists amenities by suite category. The tote bag is mentioned as an amenity for Owners, Vista, Oceania, Penthouse and Concierge level suites. It is NOT listed as an amenity for any of the other cabins. Which is probably why there was no tote bag in the reviewer's cabin...

I suppose a logical reason for removing the bathrobes on the penultimate day of a cruise is that they have to be laundered for the next occupants. Laundering well over 1000 bathrobes in one day would be an impossible task for any laundry... Since we never use the bathrobes (either we are dressed or undressed and in bed - we don't use them to walk around our suite) I don't know if ours were taken the day before arrival or not. I would assume they were but for me they just take up unnecessary space in the cupboard...

After paying Oceania's hefty fare. They then charge you 25 cents to print your boarding passes for your flights. If they needed this extra 50 cents, where else are they skimping?

just get them at the airport ;)

I suppose a logical reason for removing the bathrobes on the penultimate day of a cruise is that they have to be laundered for the next occupants. Laundering well over 1000 bathrobes in one day would be an impossible task for any laundry...

The other possibility is that some people may think they are souvenirs it is amazing to see what what some people take home

I have not looked lately but there use to be a price list of things in the cabin if people wanted to take them home you would be billed for the items eg: clock, hairdryer

there had to be a reason why the list was put in the cabin ;)

On mass market lines, the robes (of thin material, if there any robes in the first place) are removed to prevent "guests" from stealing them as they pack to go home.

We've never had our robes removed on Oceania; this must be a new policy. If so, it's possible this might be the first, tiny sign that NCL mentality is having some effect on Oceania as personnel are mixed.

Didn't receive a tote bag? OP also didn't get priority bookings for specialty restaurants, didn't get a bottle of sparkling wine in the stateroom, didn't get vouchers for free pressing, didn't get cashmere lap robes, and didn't get to order a hot breakfast via room service -- how cheap!!! Not on the part of the cruise line, but on the part of the OP for not paying the price to get that stuff.

Folks, Cruise "Critic" doesn't mean searching for things about which to be negative; even film critics like some movies.

{EDIT} As happens often, Lyn and I had the same thought about the robes; she just says it in fewer words and posts sooner! Thanks, Lyn!

Edited by hondorner

We've never had our robes removed on Oceania; this must be a new policy.

The robes have always been removed for about the past 8-9 yrs

maybe you just got lucky :D

We sailed in 2004 robe there last morning then in 2007 no robe after dinner ...