Christmas grinch award to Royal Caribbean-sneaky charges for complimentary ifly

In the spirit of the holiday season, Royal Caribbean have sneakily both just changed and made massive price increases to their "Complimentary" flagship activities on the Quantum class - with only one week's notice.

Quietly added yesterday and effective from next week, they have now put a $28 charge on the Northstar, and $35 on the ifly, per tincoll's post here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2291545

I don't see how this is permitted, either in their terms nor by consumer legislation. It is akin to making a hotel booking that includes breakfast, and then getting told there is a $60 charge for that breakfast when you get there. They can't retrospectively change what is included and "complimentary."

And on that note Merry Christmas to all - even if RCL wants to take the gifts for themselves.

I agree. They advertised and sold the cruise with these two activities as free and indeed they were even cornerstones of the advertising campaign. I loved Quantum and RCL are my favourite cruise line but I don't like where they are heading at present with their constant drive to squeeze every cent . For what it's worth I don't think either if these things are worth paying extra and doubt this will go down well with many.

I will continue to sail RCL because I pick and choose when prices are good and the diamond benefits add a lot of value. If prices don't fit or they get rid of happy hours then I will be gone.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Forums mobile app

Sorry, but I could see that coming. Anything that takes staff hours will end up being charged for.

I agree, I see good value in my cruising requirements with RCI, and that is what we will all look at when booking, what we feel is good value for our own money.

If I sign up for a cruise with specialty items such as complimentary ifly and Northstar, I would expect that when I get on board. Not cool, Royal Caribbean.

However, I might consider paying for ifly but never for the Northstar.

Edited by MommaBear55

Sorry, but I could see that coming. Anything that takes staff hours will end up being charged for.

Wave rider, rock climbing, ice skating and even main dining and the buffet take hours, which suggests you expect all to be charged?

In any case, it's not whether there is a reason for the charge (not that one has been given), but whether it's sold as part of the package or not. If you get a complimentary drinks package when you book, then you expect to get it when you board, not be told there is another charge for those same drinks.

As per the example with breakfast, or when Celebrity sold drinks packages then excised about half the items for them and got a backlash so reversed the decision, these have been sold as included so adding a charge after the booking has been made is the issue here. And I believe is also not compliant with their terms or legislation.

Having just got back from Explorer of the Seas yesterday it was nothing like how I remembered RCCL. Staff mostly unfriendly and overworked, extreme crowding everywhere, lame buffet + entertainment and upsell upsell upsell. Unless you were spending extra money they didn't want to know you or serve you.

Made it really easy to compare as well as we did the Carnival Spirit Melbourne Cup cruise a few weeks before and it absolutely left RCCL for dead this time around in every way.

The experience I had with them it honestly wouldn't surprise me one bit if they did start charging.

Back to Carnival for me!

I agree, I see good value in my cruising requirements with RCI, and that is what we will all look at when booking, what we feel is good value for our own money.

Yes, but this has been selectively introduced - on QOS only and it would seem for the Asian market. If it was across the whole line it might be understandable but it's not. Price gouging IMO.

This isn't the only cost cutting measure they have made recently. There are a bunch of things that have been cut just these past few months and others in the last week. On the Voyager of the Seas cruise at the start of the month they had a welcome back and a top tier party. This cruise on the Radiance they have started a fleet wide merger of the two events. Plus now if you have more then one diamond plus member in a cabin you don't get one gift each you just get one per cabin. These both changed between our two cruises. TBH the way they have handled C&A this cruise is extremely poor. It feels like they are just pushing us under a rug.

Very naughty.....the ethical thing to do would be to least honor the "complimentary" status of existing bookings.......if they need to cover charge:rolleyes::rolleyes: set a date and go from there.....

Food for thought......futuristically speaking ..... it does make one wonder just how safe from cover charge are the other currently "complimentary" activities onboard such as mini golf, basketball courts, sauna's, the gym, ice skating and the ice shows !!!! ..... :eek::eek::eek:

I am disappointed in this but will not cancel due to this decision. I am wondering if perhaps anyone will actually cancel due to these attractions in the past I believe you got one go for free but then they charged for the ride/attraction.

In the past you could have as many rides on North Star as you wished. I just took a few opportunities whenever I noticed a short line.

For iFly you were given 1 x 1 minute flight. You had to book but if you just rolled up and enquired and there was a no show or people were weighed out (there is a weight limit) then they allowed you to join that session.

I loved Quantum and missing either of these things would not be a deal breaker in itself. It is more of a principled call because of the way the company has handled this. In a way I hope that there is a large consumer backlash as all these "complimentary" activities were a huge part of their advertising campaign.

Personally I hope they struggle a little to fill the ships so that prices drop as I would love to sail on a Quantum class ship again but not at the current premium prices.

Personally I hope they struggle a little to fill the ships so that prices drop as I would love to sail on a Quantum class ship again but not at the current premium prices.

And people paid those premium prices because all of the attractions the ship had to offer. Take that away or make it user-pays then the ship shouldn't be expecting premium pricing for a base product.

And people paid those premium prices because all of the attractions the ship had to offer. Take that away or make it user-pays then the ship shouldn't be expecting premium pricing for a base product.

I agree with both you, it is more of the principle for me as the attractions themselves were of little interest although I certainly would have tried them. We had booked this cruise for NYE with friends and also to try the new large ship to our waters. The attractions were just going to be part of the overall experience. If there is a backlash, perhaps they will change the rule or the prices will come down due to people pulling out then it will just fill with different passengers.

• 2 weeks later...

Royal Caribbean should be careful that they don't shoot the goose that laid the golden egg.

Our family used to annually holiday at mountain and island resorts, which were all inclusive. We used to have lots of fun partaking in all the included activities, without worrying about the extra costs.

Then these resorts, in their wisdom, decided to offer accommodation only, with meals and activities extra.

So we shifted to all inclusive cruising!

Just off Explorer this morning. The future cruise talk was all about Ovation in oz. She stated ifly and north star were free.

The dining looks terribly confusing.......progressive dining, but classic or something....then anytime or traditional type, have the same waiters or not, geez I just want dinner haha.

If they can't get My time right on Explorer not sure how this new concept will work for Aussies!

We will cancel Ovation not because of extra charge on things as we don't use them, but RCCL just isnt our style of cruising.....sell, sell, sell, even the Captain was flogging watch sales and the beauty treatments in his daily 12pm talk!!

We have given them a good go having done Rhapsody, Radiance, Voyager and Explorer.

Chez

They're implementing these increases by surprise. Currently the charge only applies to Quantum, but a few weeks ago all the statements were that it was free on Quantum. So saying it's currently complimentary elsewhere doesn't mean much.

Similarly a month back they said they were introducing a charge for the previously complimentary WowBands on Anthem only. Not on Quantum. Got on Quantum last week and the charge had also been applied there, by surprise.

Also found there had been a few other New Years' surprise charges increased/introduced when I got onboard, so it's the current trend with RCL. Even something that was said was complimentary (and had been for many years) in my C&A letter, when I tried to claim resulted in arguments with the shop staff that the offer was completely different, and "I couldn't read English." Really embarrassing the lack of extent they stand by their commitments at this point. I confirmed with the C&A rep, then had to escalate through Guest Services to resolve adequately (who then blamed it on "probably new staff...") Given the computer had been changed, I believe it's more likely corporate cutbacks and resistance from staff trying to follow the new line.