Ordered Ashore From Golden Princess

VK3DQ

Your opening comment seemed to pass judgement on what the OP had in your view done and the extent of their cover. Which incidentally is the InsureandGo Silver Cruise Insurance which seems like quite reasonable cover for a NZ/Aust cruise (I wouldn't take it if I was going to the US - in that case I'd take the Gold package) - but maybe that's just me

If you'd read the thread through you would be aware he paid over $1000 for cover on this and a future cruise - which doesn't seem cheap to me.

The question of costs for hospital services in NZ doesn't apply - Australia has a reciprocal agreement with them so he didn't incur any costs in the NZ Public hospital - his costs were on the ship, ground transport and the flight home - which he is no doubt pursuing now with his insurer

Having said that who knows what, if any, pre-existing conditions he has declared and the insurer has agreed to cover - that definitely impacts the cost of cover.

No one can really compare premiums and pass judgement on them without knowing all the background and relevant information of the cover and the insured

Its looking more and more likely that the cause of my medical problems is damage to my back .. I was fine when I got on the ship , I just wonder if I may have upset something whilst moving the luggage at Station pier .. I have not a clue where this has come from ...

But the points here are one does need to assure oneself that a single call for help will get assistance when one is not capable of looking after oneself

Regards

John

Hi

Just to assure you that we will not suffer too badly I bought some lobster tails this morning so will gently warm them in the pan with some garlic butter and serve with a crisp shell potato grattin

This should actually wake the babysitter up long enough to eat it ... Poor Boy he is happy a box of Fat Yack Beer and a gallon of ice cream should suffice to keep him happy .. and he has done what Mrs Babysitter demanded :p

Regards

John

Royalty X has struck the nail on the head. Price should not be the determining factor when choosing an insurance company but the quality of the after hours service should be paramount. Sure one can walk into the local supermarket or hardware store and obtain cheap travel insurance on line or by filling out a form and taking it to the counter and paying the premium.

BUT and it is a big BUT will this policy meet your needs in case of an emergency. Travel insurance is there for the big issues particularly medical and missed connections. One wants the insurance company to step up to the mark when the brown stuff hits the fan and take away all the worry and stress. Stuck in a foreign country and ill are bad enough without other worries as well.

Most cruisers take many hours planning their cruises to ensure they meet their needs. Take a similar amount of time with your travel insurance. You never know when you will need it and when you do you want it to work

It does not sound as if VK3DQ took out a cheap insurance policy. Unfortunately, no matter what insurance policy we buy, we do not really know how they will treat us if we have to claim, until we do claim.:)

One wants the insurance company to step up to the mark when the brown stuff hits the fan and take away all the worry and stress.

Hi Folks

This is the crux of the matter, one does not want to have to argue at the time.. the money can always be sorted out later.

Regards

John

It does not sound as if VK3DQ took out a cheap insurance policy. Unfortunately, no matter what insurance policy we buy, we do not really know how they will treat us if we have to claim, until we do claim.:)

I just had a good experience with QBE, travelled to UK recently on my 'free ANZ Platinum Card Insurance., underwriter QBE. Had a little dingle in the rental car in Whitstable, Kent, some galah reversed into my Ford Focus.

Had to pay £320 excess when I handed car back to Hertz at Southampton, pre cruise. Got home, did the claim, got $660 back from QBE within 10 days, no argument. The ANZ Travel Insurance had full excess cover for overseas rental car claims.

Just a case study on Credit Card travel insurance for those interested, my apologies for going slightly off topic.

Edited by NSWP

Several years ago we had to claim on our 'free' ANZ credit card insurance. It was a sizeable claim and paid without a problem. Our son was hospitalised in Germany and had his $9,000 claim paid, once again without a problem. :)

Often people seem to think this travel insurance is too good to be true, but we (and you also) have found it works.

Edited by Aus Traveller

Several years ago we had to claim on our 'free' ANZ credit card insurance. It was a sizeable claim and paid without a problem. Our son was hospitalised in Germany and had his $9,000 claim paid, once again without a problem. :)

Often people seem to think this travel insurance is too good to be true, but we (and you also) have found it works.

Indeed, a couple of good case studies there on ANZ Platinum Card 'Free Travel Insurance.' I will use it from now on, has all I want, unlimited amount for cancellation, medical and decent car excess.

Happy New Year to you, may it bring you many boarding passes.

Hi

Just to assure you that we will not suffer too badly I bought some lobster tails this morning so will gently warm them in the pan with some garlic butter and serve with a crisp shell potato grattin

This should actually wake the babysitter up long enough to eat it ... Poor Boy he is happy a box of Fat Yack Beer and a gallon of ice cream should suffice to keep him happy .. and he has done what Mrs Babysitter demanded :p

Regards

John

Thou art a gourmet Chef John, but surely a bottle of NZ Sauv Blanc to wash it down.

Edited by NSWP

Indeed, a couple of good case studies there on ANZ Platinum Card 'Free Travel Insurance.' I will use it from now on, has all I want, unlimited amount for cancellation, medical and decent car excess.

Happy New Year to you, may it bring you many boarding passes.

We have Free Travel Insurance with our Westpac Altitude Black card through QBE. My parents are in their 80's. Unfortunately the insurance does not cover for relatives over 80 if they die or become seriously ill. Also both have pre-existing medical conditions now.

Thou art a gourmet Chef John, but surely a bottle of NZ Sauv Blanc to wash it down.

Funny you should mention that

We have a nice bottle in the fridge .. from the M:oalborough region .. its nice and cold

Those white wines from New Zealand are very good

Regards

John

:o

Edited by VK3DQ

Hi All,

This is the Babysitter (aka Steve) at the controls.....

Gee life is hard around here... John running around in Boxers and no T-shirt (ewwwww)... Complaints about the source of the bread (i.e. TipTop Commercial Bread is NOT allowed here)... The 5 letter words directed at people that will not communicate and the constant pounce on the phone waiting for a call from Jean and Elsie.

Yet seriously he requires this sitting - the drugs that he has been on has left him rather perky.... and sometimes this perkiness is not a good sign (being a cardiac patient - aged 50 - who has just had to stop work due to health - I recognise symptoms well). I am surprised that he was able to make his own way half way across the North Island of NZ, at a time when most of the country was shut down, in the state that he was in and on his own.... No support from The Cruise Line and no support from the Australian Government thanks to all emergency consular lines being directed to on-leave staff with full mailboxes.

Again I express my thanks to the people on here and the people of Tauranga and QANTAS in Auckland.

All the best and have a Happy and safe New Year

Steve (aka the Babysitter).

Ps: I have just been attacked with a ham sandwich for making this post !

Hi All,

This is the Babysitter (aka Steve) at the controls.....

Gee life is hard around here... John running around in Boxers and no T-shirt (ewwwww)... Complaints about the source of the bread (i.e. TipTop Commercial Bread is NOT allowed here)... The 5 letter words directed at people that will not communicate and the constant pounce on the phone waiting for a call from Jean and Elsie.

Yet seriously he requires this sitting - the drugs that he has been on has left him rather perky.... and sometimes this perkiness is not a good sign (being a cardiac patient - aged 50 - who has just had to stop work due to health - I recognise symptoms well). I am surprised that he was able to make his own way half way across the North Island of NZ, at a time when most of the country was shut down, in the state that he was in and on his own.... No support from The Cruise Line and no support from the Australian Government thanks to all emergency consular lines being directed to on-leave staff with full mailboxes.

Again I express my thanks to the people on here and the people of Tauranga and QANTAS in Auckland.

All the best and have a Happy and safe New Year

Steve (aka the Babysitter).

Ps: I have just been attacked with a ham sandwich for making this post !

hehehe Mrs Babysitter has just phoned him :D

For those Australians on the ship

Fire crews are still working to contain a major bushfire that destroyed 116 houses at Wye River and Separation Creek on Christmas Day.

And I thought I had it bad....

Regards

John

They would have needed lots of sun screen up on deck today..:D:D

yes and a perfect trip through all three sounds there is a very nice bottle of sav Blanc in my Stateroom fridge... go to D623 and tell Jean to hand it over !

:cool:

Regards

John

To anyone on board that doesn't have access to Australian news this is an update re the fires on the GOR.

Kennett River Grey River and Wongarra have been evacuated and the GOR from Lorne to Skenes Creek has been closed since Christmas day and it is unknown when this section of the road will re-open. That fire is still out of control and we are experiencing temperatures around 40c. Its sobering to think that only due to the plans put in place and the skill of the fire fighters on the ground and the pilots of the aircraft assisting that more homes weren't lost. There have been no lives lost and only three firefighters received minor injuries. All fire works displays scheduled for tonight with the exception of those being held at Geelong and Melbourne have been cancelled.

Edited by ozziepost

Fire crews are still working to contain a major bushfire that destroyed 116 houses at Wye River and Separation Creek on Christmas Day.

And I thought I had it bad....

Regards

John

Puts it into perspective & shows you have a great outlook on life - glad you are doing ok, after what was not the best of times. Best wishes for the New Year.

Cheers

Neil

Puts it into perspective & shows you have a great outlook on life - glad you are doing ok, after what was not the best of times. Best wishes for the New Year.

Cheers

Neil

Hi

Thanks for the good wishes... it will be "lobster night" on shore tonight , but not until the temp drops a little VERY hot at the moment

Well Golden Princess is out of Milford Sound and setting a course for Melbourne

Tomorrow it may be that we require to attend to some housekeeping .. thats if I can wake the "Babysitter"

Regards

John

Hi

Thanks for the good wishes... it will be "lobster night" on shore tonight , but not until the temp drops a little VERY hot at the moment

Well Golden Princess is out of Milford Sound and setting a course for Melbourne

Tomorrow it may be that we require to attend to some housekeeping .. thats if I can wake the "Babysitter"

Regards

John

A few of us CC'ers will be over in a couple of hours John, to sample your Lobster and Sauv Blanc. BTW what's for brekkie old son? Full English? OR perhaps some of the 'nuked bacon' they serve on Princess, together with my favourite..corned beef hash. Lubbly Jubbly.

Edited by NSWP

A few of us CC'ers will be over in a couple of hours John, to sample your Lobster and Sauv Blanc. BTW what's for brekkie old son? Full English? OR perhaps some of the 'nuked bacon' they serve on Princess, together with my favourite..corned beef hash. Lubbly Jubbly.

Hi

Now about breakfast it has to be Muttachar !

Recipe courtesy of Jennifer Paterson and Clarissa Dickson Wright

See http://www.cookingchanneltv.com/recipes/clarissa-dickson-wright-and-jennifer-paterson/muttachar-spiced-eggs.html

just the thing to a Sahib's breakfast

Ahh I miss the days of the Raj

Regards

John

You are sounding like you are perhaps on the mend John. Now just to get to the bottom of what ever it was that struck you down and get some joy from Princess and insurance. Babysitter seems to be trying to keep you in check (ha).

Enjoy the lobster and sav blanc and hope the new year is better.

You are sounding like you are perhaps on the mend John. Now just to get to the bottom of what ever it was that struck you down and get some joy from Princess and insurance. Babysitter seems to be trying to keep you in check (ha).

Enjoy the lobster and sav blanc and hope the new year is better.

Hi

Yes I feel a little better and once the cool change arrives I think we will perhaps be able to get a bit of a sleep... still well over 30C here so we are delaying eating, in fact the babysitter is asleep again :o

At least the VIP and Elsie have had what looked to be a perfect day in the sounds

Sitting in the radio shack with the aircon on full blast with a large glass of ginger beer .....

Will try cooking at about 9pm when the sun has gone

SCORESBY CURRENT CONDITIONS

Current temp: 33.9°C

Recorded min: 20°C

Recorded max: 38°C

Feels like: 31.5°C

Happy New Year

John

Edited by VK3DQ

Hot in your part of the woods. Only got to 34 here but no change expected till Sunday. We have the advantage of cooler nights. I remember the heat from when we lived in Melb 30+yrs ago.

The sounds are fabulous to sail through. We did them on Solstice a few years back. Sailed into Milford just on sunrise - spectacular.

Waiting for the fireworks here as we have a view across to where they will be.