Friend just hurt their knee and is leaving in 5 days

lions1995

A member of our party which will be cruising in 5 days has hurt their knee. He is out of state at the moment and all I know is the is in a brace and was told to see a doctor as soon as he gets home (I think he is flying back today). So there is a good chance he may not make the sailing.

If he is able to go, I am sure his mobility will be an issue. Is there any way to get wheel chair access for him?

You can contact Special Needs at Sea to rent a wheelchair. It will be delivered to your cabin. If you just want wheelchair assistance to get on and off the ship, the cruise line offers this service.

This. When we boarded the Pride they saw DW's cane and insisted on taking her on in a wheelchair.

If he doesn't need a wheel chair and the doctor put shim in a brace, do have him rent a rubber tipped cane from a local med supply place. Big help in managing access on board. If the Doctor says use a knee sleeve, have him try to get a Rehband 7751(single) or an AlphaSport Competition 7mm (pair). Measure carefully. With right size either will stay up nicely. Alpha Sport is a bit longer so it's higher up the leg and lower down the calf, if that support is needed. Both available on Amazon and he can get quick delivery. Avoid the "copper" stuff as they tend to run small and the copper effect is a real sham treatment.

I went on a cruise a few weeks after I had knee surgery. I was still in a brace from my hip to ankle but had been cleared to start walking 2 days before we left, I was strictly non weight bearing before then. It was ok, I took my crutches just in case, and wore my brace outside my pants going through airport security. We did pay extra for the bulkhead seats. I used a wheelchair in the airport, already had priority boarding at the cruise. It was a bit cumbersome at times, but everyone was really nice when they saw me hobbling about. I even went swimming, just had my husband walk with me to the water, take off the brace, he'd carry it back while I entered the water.

I figured if I was going to be injured, might as well be on a cruise. Though the brace was quite difficult to accessorize on formal night.

You can rent a wheelchair or scooter to be delivered to your stateroom. Then leave in stateroom and they will pick it up. Check disabled cruisers forum.

Need the make sure the scooter can fit thru the door. It cannot be left in the hallway.

That was very nice of them!!! I am trying to figure out right now how I am going to get up the ramp to get on the Fantasy in a few weeks. Stairs are a monster for me and inclines aren't much better.

It was very nice of them. The only drawback was the guy pushing the wheelchair bypassed the embarkation photo area (well, some would see that as a plus:)). We do buy that one picture so we were bummed about not getting it, but when we talked to the photo folks they took our picture and put it on the embarkation photo background for us. It's my goal to cover one wall with them:D.