Elevator death on the Ecstasy

ComradeRyan

My friend and I are booked on the Ecstasy to sail on January 11-15th. We were both shocked and terribly saddened to learn of this horrible accident. Never mind we can't "unsee" that video. I don't mean to sound insensitive or selfish, because I truly do feel awful for this poor man's family and coworkers. I can't help wondering, though, if this tragedy will affect upcoming cruises on this ship...does anybody have any idea how Carnival usually handles tragedies on a ship... Do they let the ship keep sailing? I would hope that if they do that they would at least permanently shut down that elevator.

The next sailing will go on, probably a bit late. Eventually the elevator will be reopened.

There was a horrible domestic violence murder on the Elation a few years ago and it sailed.

Wonder which elevator shaft? CNN reported that pax encountered it coming out of the dining room. Easy to shut down the center shaft, back side of the forward MDR. Logistical nightmare if it's the aft elevators.

Still waiting for confirmation that this is really what people claim that it is, I'm not convinced. I don't think the video shows blood at all, but what it shows is hydraulic fluid. Blood doesn't flow like is shown in the video nor does a person bleed that much, even if a limb is cut off.

This man's family will receive $20,000 compensation as per his contract for death-at-sea. There will then be a whip round on all Carnival ships to add to this.

I'm sorry... but what does 'whip round' mean? I've never heard the expression before.

EDITED TO ADD: Never mind, I googled it. Ya learn something new every day.

Edited by BananaAnna

Still waiting for confirmation that this is really what people claim that it is, I'm not convinced. I don't think the video shows blood at all, but what it shows is hydraulic fluid. Blood doesn't flow like is shown in the video nor does a person bleed that much, even if a limb is cut off.

I thought the same. Now on the UK news websites.

My first thought as well. I'd be willing to be its hydrologic fluid. That stuff was pouring like a busted line.

There is still NO reason for the media to have the video, either to show it or not. Just how does seeing the video help one decide how to spend their travel dollars? The written story is enough. Do you really think this wouldn't have made the news without a video? In addition, there is one sleaze bag person who makes this type of thing his business and he would/will be all over it. He lives for any kind of accident on a cruise ship and every opportunity to slam cruising as dangerous.

IT'S NEWS. We document everything we do in today's world by proxy of our 3rd eye, commonly known as a cell phone camera.

If we didn't watch or crave this kind of "train wreck" story, they (the media) would not show it. So, you are in the vast minority among us. We always stop and look at a fender bender on the highway. This is quite an extraordinary event.

Can't avoid human nature.

I don't know what kind of confirmation you expect. It's not a US-flagged vessel. We will not have any idea what Panamanian authorities conclude. Personally, I think if the worker in question were cut through the middle of the body by the descending elevator he could bleed that much.

The half dozen or so police on the ship seemed pretty convinced it was blood. The homicide detective was fairly certain there was a dead guy in the elevator shaft. Carnival was pretty sure a crew member was deceased when they released his name and scheduled the grief counselors for the other members of the crew. But you're probably right that the substance you saw in the grainy cell phone footage was hydraulic fluid. Good catch.

Edited by WingNut71

If you listen to the video, you can hear a crew member asking them to leave the area and he ignores her. Then he tells the media how traumatizing it was for him and his family. What about the victim and his family?

Exactly - the comments on how their vacation has been scarred by this tragedy yet they had the nerve to take photos and videos. Really if you didn't want to remember it you certainly wouldn't take pictures. First off they should have immediately sought out a crew member of some sort, not taking a video.

Is the internet now handing out forensic science degrees? I am not in the blood viscosity evaluation business, are you, zqvol?

The man is gone. Whether there is blood colored hydraulic fluid or that is his blood, the key fact is the same. As far as the guy that took the video, I don't know his motivation. I do know that their cheap facebook package cause more people to walk around with their phones and is one MAJOR turnoff of Carnival. I cruise to unplug.

How that applies to this is I think that young people are becoming more likely to document than to internalize, as if the phone takes over their emotions and they are not quite connecting with the moment, any moment, especially those that require assistance not narcissism.

Not sure what malfunction makes a man think "let's film this" instead of "let's see if a life can be saved." Same thing happened with the Garland tornado, some guys who said they "also tried to help" filmed first.

If your first thought at a sight like that is fame, and going viral, you just are probably a nihilist. I fear blankety-blank social media is breeding them. In the meantime, can we please keep discussions about how much and how a person bleeds, off of this forum? I pray the man went to Heaven and the family heals.

The half dozen or so police on the ship seemed pretty convinced it was blood. The homicide detective was fairly certain there was a dead guy in the elevator shaft. Carnival was pretty sure a crew member was deceased when they released his name and scheduled the grief counselors for the other members of the crew. But you're probably right that the substance you saw in the grainy cell phone footage was hydraulic fluid. Good catch.

Wow, when did you talk to the police or the homicide detective?

Was the next sailing delayed? I haven't read anything about authorities coming on board to investigate, which would have been during turn over time. I would think they'd need to cord off the area and not just hang a sheet over it. Were the other elevators in service? Unless I missed it, no one here has reported anything. Apparently there was a running video which I did not see, just a quick blurb being shown now.

While writing and thinking, there is new posts I need to read, sorry.

Edited by RuthlessBoss

years ago my Wife and I happened upon a motorcycle accident. I won't describe the scene-the man was coming from a wedding and the bride and groom showed up to check on the victim. I have tried and tried to remove those images from my head. I still lose sleep over it.

I asked the groom, really told him truthfully, that if you love your bride you will NOT let her see what I saw. Now this was before the proliferation of cell video but I can honestly tell you, had such a video been on my phone, I might have thrown it into a lake-I am weird like that.

I have no sympathy for Mr. Davis. His children yes, obviously, because his first thought should have been to help if possible, and then of course shield his children from the sight. Now it seems as if he wants his 15 minutes and compensation.

I fear for society.

Wow, when did you talk to the police or the homicide detective?

I would guess while his/her kids were being questioned.

I didn't think it was unrealistic to expect they might do the same for 2 children who happened upon the unfortunate scene and who have had to endure questioning on the matter by both the police and Carnival security.

years ago my Wife and I happened upon a motorcycle accident. I won't describe the scene-the man was coming from a wedding and the bride and groom showed up to check on the victim. I have tried and tried to remove those images from my head. I still lose sleep over it.

I asked the groom, really told him truthfully, that if you love your bride you will NOT let her see what I saw. Now this was before the proliferation of cell video but I can honestly tell you, had such a video been on my phone, I might have thrown it into a lake-I am weird like that.

I have no sympathy for Mr. Davis. His children yes, obviously, because his first thought should have been to help if possible, and then of course shield his children from the sight. Now it seems as if he wants his 15 minutes and compensation.

I fear for society.

Yeah, motorcycles are dangerous.