BREAKING NEWS: P&O Australia to get a newly built ship

Probably the most exciting news ever for P&O!

http://www.cruisecritic.com.au/news/news.cfm?ID=6736

Louise Goldsbury

Australia Editor

Cruise Critic

Thank you Louise, about time, damage control for Carnival Australia and the crowd roars.

And...Dawn Princess to be rebirthed as Pacific Explorer under P&O Australia Flag.

Happy New Year.

Edited by NSWP

It's great news to see P&O Australia having grown so much that such a large newbuild is possible. I look forwards to seeing artists impressions and deck plans of the ship.

I am curious as to whether this is a genuinely new prototype design for the Carnival Corporation, or a version of something they already have. The dimensions are broadly similar to the Carnival Vista, but with quite a lot more cabins. I hope this means something new and innovative.

If people were to design the new Pacific Expander (or whatever it will be called😉), what would they put on it?

• 4 weeks later...
Dawn princess to be "rebirthed". They must be joking. It's a wreck. What an insult.

Nope that's a completely separate ship. It is being rebranded as the Pacific Explorer next year. The other ship is in fact a brand new ship. It is not currently sailing and in fact hasn't even had its first piece of steel laid.

The Dawn Princess transfer is more of a way to remove ships from the Princess fleet, but not removing the ship from our waters since it is popular and it is one of the limit number of modern cruise ships that can easily visit destinations.

Edited by Cruise ship fan

I'm looking forward to seeing the deck plans.

Being around twice as big as anything the had/got, one would think there's room for alot more "stuff" on board...new innovations?? restaurants??

I thought they might have used the same base template as the royal/regal princess like they did with the P&O Brittania, but at 135,500 tonnes it doesn't appear to be at this stage?? (Brittania/Royal/Regal are 141,000)

I'm looking forward to seeing the deck plans.

Being around twice as big as anything the had/got, one would think there's room for alot more "stuff" on board...new innovations?? restaurants??

I thought they might have used the same base template as the royal/regal princess like they did with the P&O Brittania, but at 135,500 tonnes it doesn't appear to be at this stage?? (Brittania/Royal/Regal are 141,000)

It is going to be a slightly larger version of the Carnival Vista. So basically the design carnival has had since the Destiny Class. Since this ship will be the sister ship to the Costa ships and Costa ships are near identical to the Carnival ships, I don't see the main exterior being any different.

I too would like to know how what P&O will do, if anything, to differentiate the new ship from the other lines that have similar design.

I am strongly thinking they might be work towards a new hull artwork. It is possible that the new ship (being allocated to P&O) happened either before or after they decided to move the Aria and Eden, and plan to redesign the livery, hence why the two ships did not get repainted to the white hull design of the other ships. As they either are still working on finalising it for the new ship or want to premier it with the announcement of the new ship.

I really hope this happens as I really dislike the current complete white design. Overall I am not a big of fan of white hulls as it usually ends up looking nasty due to rust and general wear, but when there is another colour breaking up the white it usually becomes a lot less noticeable.

The competition isn't around here, so there's not a great need to differentiate.

Though it will be decked out with P&O fittings in line with the rest of their fleet as well.

It's like airlines - they use the same plane, but there are quite different conditions inside (lighting, seating, space, catering...)

I am strongly thinking they might be work towards a new hull artwork. It is possible that the new ship (being allocated to P&O) happened either before or after they decided to move the Aria and Eden, and plan to redesign the livery, hence why the two ships did not get repainted to the white hull design of the other ships. As they either are still working on finalising it for the new ship or want to premier it with the announcement of the new ship.

I really hope this happens as I really dislike the current complete white design. Overall I am not a big of fan of white hulls as it usually ends up looking nasty due to rust and general wear, but when there is another colour breaking up the white it usually becomes a lot less noticeable.

I like the idea of a completely new livery for all the ships launched with the new one, I prefer the dark blue of the Aria and Eden (old HAL) but perhaps with a decal like NCL or AIDA or even a logo like Princess is planning.:D

That may be true but they have an opportunity to have single cabins and also arrange the public areas in a better layout than some of the comparable lines or what P&O have already.

It may well have those - though comparable lines also have single cabins anyway.

And it would have a newer layout for their public areas - better is always subjective and debatable! - as it is different to their existing ships.