Formal nights/Tuxedo question

capecruizin

On our last cruise I certainly saw people turn away from the restaurant on formal nights.

Now I can't say for a fact if they realized they were not dressed to standard and turned away themselves or they were refused entry.

I was neither close enough to hear any discussion, nor did I really care, but turn away they did.

No it's towards what the line ask us to wear, not "THEIR idea" as you put it.

But it seems some people are too rude to comply with their hosts request.

They are not a host. They are a service provider that their passengers pay dearly for.

Those few no longer have a dog in the fight with Celebrity so now they have to complain on the other Cruise line forums.

No, actually it's the fact we're doing a 14 day trip on the Regal Princess, and many pax seem to feel both lines have a lot of similarities. If it was not the case, then we probably wouldn't try them out. I guess we'll have to wait & see how similar they really are. Yes, I'm quite aware that Celebrity has gone to "Chic" nights from formal nights. We've only doe the Eclipse & that ship seems far more formal than the rest of the line. I'm sure there are ships in the Princess fleet that vary quite a bit from others in the line.

I wear a long sleeve dress shirt and docker khaki pants, no tie and sometimes a blazer with my athletic shoes. I have never had a problem. I don't think you know what you are talking about.

No, I think you DON'T! On the Eclipse, the staff was pretty rigid on enforcing dress codes & turned away quite a few pax. We'll see what Princess is like in that area.What you were wearing falls under "Smart Casual",not formal night.

Edited by keithm
addition

They are not a host. They are a service provider that their passengers pay dearly for.

Do you dress how a fine dining restaurant asks, or do you compelled to dress as YOU feel & not care? The cruiseline IS your host & you should follow their guidelines.

Do you dress how a fine dining restaurant asks, or do you compelled to dress as YOU feel & not care? The cruiseline IS your host & you should follow their guidelines.

Yes, we've been to many a fine restaurant and I don't dress in a ball gown and he doesn't wear a tux. They are not my host. Try and understand that they are a service provider, just like a hotel. Get over it.

Avoiding formal nights is just fine. Do it if you want. Nobody has a problem with that. JUST STOP TRYING TO DESTROY IT FOR THE REST OF US!!

That appears to be the goal of many. Totally destroy it.

But they paid for it so they acn do as they please, so I guess I can wear shorts, singlet and thongs, what some call flip flops.

So if someone doesn't want to dress up like you they should hit the buffet?:rolleyes:

Some people don't really care about the comments from total strangers about how they are dressed, why would they?.

So do you wear a tux or suit to receive compliments on how well you are dressed?:rolleyes:

Why are you always so confrontational? Can't someone just enjoy something or have a different opinion as you without you putting them down?

Edited by notentirelynormal

When my DGS was 6 he wore his "wedding suit". He got dressed in a tux with black gloves and heavy shoes. The second formal night he didn't want to wear it because "grandma, I'm already married. I've already worn the suit".

Fast forward: My DGS is now 10 (will be 11 on the cruise). For a couple of months we have been discussing with him about IF we go on a cruise will he dress up for formal nights. Even on land, would he dress up if we take him to a fancy restaurant. "Not going to happen grandma!" It was definite, it was final, he was adamant. No matter how much we tried to discuss it with him it was final. No grey area. We were at Disneyland and he was getting pissier and pissier with us so I asked why. I don't want to discuss wearing a suit any more! It is not going to happen!

Christmas rolls around. He opens up his carry on suitcase. Many Princess cruise items inside. Once the light bulb goes on that he is going on a cruise he turns to me and says "well, grandma, I guess I need to get formal wear". :rolleyes: It was pretty funny.

When my DGS was 6 he wore his "wedding suit". He got dressed in a tux with black gloves and heavy shoes. The second formal night he didn't want to wear it because "grandma, I'm already married. I've already worn the suit".

Fast forward: My DGS is now 10 (will be 11 on the cruise). For a couple of months we have been discussing with him about IF we go on a cruise will he dress up for formal nights. Even on land, would he dress up if we take him to a fancy restaurant. "Not going to happen grandma!" It was definite, it was final, he was adamant. No matter how much we tried to discuss it with him it was final. No grey area. We were at Disneyland and he was getting pissier and pissier with us so I asked why. I don't want to discuss wearing a suit any more! It is not going to happen!

Christmas rolls around. He opens up his carry on suitcase. Many Princess cruise items inside. Once the light bulb goes on that he is going on a cruise he turns to me and says "well, grandma, I guess I need to get formal wear". :rolleyes: It was pretty funny.

That is a cute story. Our grandsons got to make use of their wedding wear at least twice on cruises. They don't mind getting dressed up and they are now nine.

That is a cute story. Our grandsons got to make use of their wedding wear at least twice on cruises. They don't mind getting dressed up and they are now nine.

It was actually pretty funny. We had been trying to talk to him for months before on this subject but he wasn't having anything of it. For him to turn to me and make that comment - priceless. His "formal" picture from years before is up on our wall. Apparently those new clothes itch.

Avoiding formal nights is just fine. Do it if you want. Nobody has a problem with that. JUST STOP TRYING TO DESTROY IT FOR THE REST OF US!!

How can anyone destroy it when it's up to Princess to decide what they want to do in the future? If Princess does decide to make the formal night optional, which appears as though they might, you'll still have the option of dressing as you desire and many of the people who now feel that they must dress up will have option of going either way.

Yes, we've been to many a fine restaurant and I don't dress in a ball gown and he doesn't wear a tux. They are not my host. Try and understand that they are a service provider, just like a hotel. Get over it.

I can't think of ANY rest. where a Tux or ball gown is required. Maybe on New Year's eve. But many high end dining establishments require a certain dress code. If you Won't follow it, then I guess you'll just have to eat somewhere else. So why don't YOU just get over it!

It's this simple: on formal nights, I will go at least evening wear, if not formal, and my lady will dress up and be the most beautiful thing on board. And, DANG, I love it!! :D

Your "Icon" show you both to be a classy looking couple!

I can't think of ANY rest. where a Tux or ball gown is required. Maybe on New Year's eve. But many high end dining establishments require a certain dress code. If you Won't follow it, then I guess you'll just have to eat somewhere else. So why don't YOU just get over it!

At most they require a jacket which is not formal wear.

His option! If it's a special occasion and he's comfortable with the Tux, go for it. Otherwise, a suit works well. Unfortunately, a lot of cruises don't abide by the code anymore. Maybe they feel they're above the rest?

Sent from my XT1094 using Tapatalk