Onboard Spending Question

s_mich

I have been trying to do a search of the forums but cannot find specifically what I am looking for, maybe someone can point me in the right direction

I need to understand how onboard spending works...I have been on one cruise before, NCL, and when I checked in gave them $500 in cash to put on my "card".

Does it work the same way with Princess? Like when my husband and I check into port, can we give them cash money to put onto our stateroom and if we go over that have our bill sent to us and settle up on disembarkation? Also, saw some places online saying some cruise lines had a minimum of how much money you put on your stateroom account, is this true?

It is up to you.

If you choose to have a cash account, you will pay a given amount in advance. While they have a suggested amount, you are not obligated to pay that. When you have spent thru your downpayment, you get a notice in your cabin that you need to go to Guest Services to put more money on the account....and as noted, you square up on the last day.

A much easier system is to just give them a credit card. Then there is no need for repeated trips to GS or anything.

Either way, you can choose to pre-pay the suggested tips, meaning that the only things going on your account would be actual expenses that you charged on board or you can let them apply the gratuity charges each day.

As to how money spends down--they use any non-refundable on board credit first, then any refundable credit, and finally any cash or credit card. So your real money is not spent until all the OBC is used up.

Well I will pre-pay gratuities tomorrow so that will be taken care off already. We already have a debit card on our cruise personalizer because we paid for our cruise in full from our checking account. So everything is going to be paid for before we sail.

So yes I guess my actual question would be, with everything already being paid for, does Princess have a minimum per person per day for your spending account.

Also, if you get called down because you have spent all of the cash on the spending account, can you use a debit card to give them more money? Or can you pay for the rest at the end with a bill and your debit card? Sorry if I am not understanding

They have an amount that they request based on the length of the cruise, but you don't have to pay that minimum. You can pay whatever you wish. This requested amount applies only to cash accounts.

If you give them cash initially and get called down, you can give them more cash, a credit card, or a debit card. They don't care what form the money is in, just that they get money to cover anything you spend.

If you give them a debit card initially, you won't get called down at all...as long as there is enough money in the bank to cover your spending.

Basically, they want to know that everything is paid before you spend it. So, say you gave them $400 at embarkation. Then you spend the $400 and have to go to GS. At that point, you need to either give them more money or a credit or debit card that will be used for any additional spending. You can't just go down to Guest Services and say "I'll pay the rest at the end of the cruise." That won't work. You can hand them plastic which they will then bill at the end of the cruise. Or you can hand them more cash.

Edited by moki'smommy

Not sure if the OP was asking this, but I have a sense perhaps they were?

No, Princess does not have any minimum spend per person per day. It's entirely up to you what your personal expenses are in terms of drinks, excursions via Princess, specialty dining, gambling, shopping, etc.

As mentioned above, the easiest way is to have a CC on file with them and you are also welcome to deposit cash on account and you could have a $0 balance on check-out and never actually have a charge to your CC.

Not sure if the OP was asking this, but I have a sense perhaps they were?

No, Princess does not have any minimum spend per person per day. It's entirely up to you what your personal expenses are in terms of drinks, excursions via Princess, specialty dining, gambling, shopping, etc.

As mentioned above, the easiest way is to have a CC on file with them and you are also welcome to deposit cash on account and you could have a $0 balance on check-out and never actually have a charge to your CC.

I am just trying to avoid using our credit card for this is all, we have cash that we saved up that we wanted to use to pay. But yes, I was just mostly seeing if there was a minimum cash deposit that had to be made on check in even if the trip and gratuities had already been paid for. Like I said, I have seen minimums online for other cruise lines, but not princess. So I was just very confused.

Someday when we're not newlyweds, we can just use our credit card without worries haha for now, if we don't have the cash, we ain't getting it.

I am appreciating the answers to help my understanding :D

Are you OK using the debit card? If so, why not put your cash into the bank account that the debit card draws from. Just use the debit card to check into the ship. If you do this, they will bill the debit card at the end of the cruise.

I understand your desire to not use credit. I'm in a position to pay my card in full each month. If you can't do that, you are much better using a debit card.

Princess makes it easy to check your account any time you wish. There are kiosks by GS. You just swipe your card and it will give you a print out of your account.

No, Princess does not have a minimum that you are required to spend each day. They just want to be sure that whatever you spend, they will get their money.

Well I will pre-pay gratuities tomorrow so that will be taken care off already. We already have a debit card on our cruise personalizer because we paid for our cruise in full from our checking account. So everything is going to be paid for before we sail.

So yes I guess my actual question would be, with everything already being paid for, does Princess have a minimum per person per day for your spending account.

Also, if you get called down because you have spent all of the cash on the spending account, can you use a debit card to give them more money? Or can you pay for the rest at the end with a bill and your debit card? Sorry if I am not understanding

You will only be contacted "called down" if your on board accounts exceed the limits on your debit or credit card.

If possible, I would provide Princess with a credit card, not a debit card. The reason is that any holds placed to a debit card will reduce the amount of funds available to you until your bank, not Princess, releases the funds, which could take some time. With a credit card you don't have this issue. Our son works for a large bank, and he always recommends using a credit card vs a debit card for travel because of the 'hold' situations.

There is no minimum/day but, I doubt as you mention "everything" will be paid for. Purchase one drink or one espresso and you have a charge. Decide to dine in one of the surcharge restaurants and you incur a charge. Each of you will have an on board account and all on board charges and credits will be posted to that account. Each overnight your accounts will be netted and Princess will place a holds for any amounts due. Nothing due, no holds. At the end of the cruise Princess will charge your credit card(s) for any net amount due. You can settle your accounts at any time on board up until the last day by depositing cash at the passenger service desk. If your cash deposits exceed your bill, Princess will send you a refund, which may be by check or as a credit to your credit card. I don't believe they will refund the cash while on board. Also, it appears that you are married, so make certain your accounts are linked. When linked each of you will receive one statement on the final night of the cruise AND one summary statement.

Hope this answers your questions

I am just trying to avoid using our credit card for this is all, we have cash that we saved up that we wanted to use to pay. :D

Why not just deposit the cash as a payment on your credit card account against future onboard charges? Then you don't have to worry about having to keep going to the desk to make payments.

As already stated, if you use your debit card, Princess will put a hold on a certain amount of money in your account. If that hold is greater than the actual amount owed, Princess will release it eventually and your bank will then release it even later sometimes weeks depending on your bank. So be aware of this event where your money in the bank is tied up.

If you have a credit card, use that to secure your onboard account. On the last day go down to Guest Services, find out what you are being charged and give them the cash. That will remove any charges Princess intended to put on your card. They will not actually process a charge against your card until the day you leave the ship. You will never see the charge on the credit card, if you pay in cash the last day.

Princess does not care how they get their money whether it be credit card, cash or debit card. All they want is the money you owe them before you are allowed to leave the ship.

Edited by satxdiver

If you prefer to work with cash you can do that and combine it with a credit or debit card. Register the card when you check in, then go to the Passenger Services desk and put cash into your account. Later in the cruise you can get a print-out of your account and put more money in as you need to. We have done that on occasions, then paid the balance off in cash at the end leaving no charge to go against our card. :) Congratulations that you are only wanting to spend the money you have and not the bank's money as well.:)

Have a great cruise.

It is never wise to secure any account with a debit card, be it a hotel or a cruise line. Use cash or a credit card. Too many times money gets blocked by the vendor trying to protect his interests and then he fails to unblock said amount ( or even double posts the amount) so you have no access to that amount in your debit account. If using cash, Princess should tell you if you are close to depleting your cash deposit. You can also give Princess a credit card to pay for your on board spending and then the last day go to guest services and pay in cash (they do accept travelers checks) and thus avoid any credit card charges.

I check in using my credit card and pay with cash on last day. Nothing is charged to my card, it's all very easy, it is no problem at any time to go to guest services and ask to get a print out of your account. Just one thing we all use our own credit cards for each account, it is no problem your accounts being registered individually.

We could give them a credit card just to have, but the only 2 we have are almost maxed out due to us getting married, playing for wedding etc... We have a few hundred on one and almost nothing on another one. We can afford our vacation but not on a credit card (which I think is better anyway).

Both cards have higher credit limits but like I said the limits are almost reached.

Not that this was anyone's business but that is why I don't want to/can't give them a credit card and why I would rather deal with cash. I can give them the cash and the credit card as security I guess.

Also I really hope after posting this I don't get the judgmental "maybe you should pay off your debt before going on a cruise" blah blah blah.

If you prefer to work with cash you can do that and combine it with a credit or debit card. Register the card when you check in, then go to the Passenger Services desk and put cash into your account. Later in the cruise you can get a print-out of your account and put more money in as you need to. We have done that on occasions, then paid the balance off in cash at the end leaving no charge to go against our card. :) Congratulations that you are only wanting to spend the money you have and not the bank's money as well.:)

Have a great cruise.

Haha after having a small amount of credit card debt right now I much prefer just paying cash for everything. Plus I work for the bank I borrow from so I like to keep them happy :p

Using cash on a cruise is not a problem at all...as you already noted, pay for the gratuities in advance. Then have the cash ready when you check in to cover whatever you anticipate your additional expenses to be. This can range from basically nothing to thousands depending on the choices you make while on board.

My personal experience has been that if you are not placing a card on the account, they suggested $400 up front, but this was not a requirement, just a suggestion. If you put nothing on the account, you will not be able to charge anything on the ship. If you put $100 (or any other amount) on the account, you'll be notified if/when you reach that amount and asked for more money.

I was thinking of putting down 450 total for my husband and I. He doesn't drink and we are bringing in 2 bottles of wine. Really the only thing we would be charging are maybe 2 or 3 drinks a day and we would like to go to one speciality restaurant and get a Christmas ornament haha so I don't think I'll blow through it in a week. It amazes me people spend so much but if you got it, go for it!

I simply don't understand why as this and other topic's on Cruise Critic, why so many here pile on with unasked for replies as in this case repeatedly giving their credit card and debit card advice. The OP clearly has a credit card and debit card but prefers not to use it, and simply asked about using their CASH and then re-stated it in additional posts about wishing only to use their prefer method of payment which again is cash and they only asked what is require by Princess to do so , they did not ask about CC or debit cards or anything other form of payment that seemed required 15 additional credit card posts

OP the question has been answered, and Yes you can simply deposit cash in to your account once onboard - No required minimum

Srpilo

Ok..you can use the credit card to link to your shipboard account...and then, go to guest services on the last night, and pay it off with your debit card.. Nothing will be charged to the credit card, so it would simply be a convenience thing. And, by paying off your charges with the debit, there shouldn't be the annoying "holds" on your debit card that there would be if you used it all week.

See, NOTHING is actually CHARGED to any account until the cruise is over. So, debit card accounts have "holds" placed on your funds...and they can last quite a while, depending on your bank (the bank issues "holds"...not the cruise line).

And of course, cash is always king....if you don't spend all you put down, it will be returned to you.

I simply don't understand why as this and other topic's on Cruise Critic, why so many here pile on with unasked for replies as in this case repeatedly giving their credit card and debit card advice. The OP clearly has a credit card and debit card but prefers not to use it, and simply asked about using their CASH and then re-stated it in additional posts about wishing only to use their prefer method of payment which again is cash and they only asked what is require by Princess to do so , they did not ask about CC or debit cards or anything other form of payment that seemed required 15 additional credit card posts

OP the question has been answered, and Yes you can simply deposit cash in to your account once onboard - No required minimum

Srpilo

Maybe because some of us are making sure that OP understands the alternatives and why some of these alternatives are potentially easier than the method the question raised. And threads have a way of drifting off the initial topic--happens all the time.

Maybe because some of us are making sure that OP understands the alternatives and why some of these alternatives are potentially easier than the method the question raised. And threads have a way of drifting off the initial topic--happens all the time.

My point exactly...

The OP like all poster's here should at the bare minimum be assumed to be an adult who know's how to use a debit card or credit card, and for upthread posters to assume he needs THEIR advice about how to use a debit card is exactly what my point was.. Taking a handful cruises doesn't make someone a life coach

He asked a VERY specific question about Princess rules on using cash, and like many replies on threads here alot of posters don't bother to even read the question in context, but rather revert to parenting as if talking to a 5 year old, as in this case with simplistic credit card advise.

As far as your "drifting "threads, and "happening all the time" insight.. I've been here along time, and with that comment, again you make my point once more

Srpilo

I was thinking of putting down 450 total for my husband and I. He doesn't drink and we are bringing in 2 bottles of wine. Really the only thing we would be charging are maybe 2 or 3 drinks a day and we would like to go to one speciality restaurant and get a Christmas ornament haha so I don't think I'll blow through it in a week. It amazes me people spend so much but if you got it, go for it!

Another thing you might want to consider is between the final Pymt date and departure, you can send yourself money as onboard credit. I generally will send myself $500-750. This, then, is on top of any OBC I get from Princess. By the time I go through Princess' money and mine, i "generally" either have to pay a little bit or get a small refund.

Exactly. Sometimes one will use a debit card to pay for travel and not realize that a hold will be put on one's account (I have seen threads on CC about this very issue).

A couple of cruises ago, my hubby went to the passenger services desk midway (after one week) of a cruise and handed over some travelers' cheques he had to help pay down our account. The rest went against his credit card that he presented at the embarkation check in. We basically had just the daily hotel charge (auto-grats), a few drinks among the three of us -- we brought our soda and wine supply on board, a few photographs, and a few purchases from the ship's store. So it wasn't that much left on his credit card to pay.

All Princess ships have printers near Guest Services where you can check your current account balance, so you don't even have to go to the desk. And the newer ships (Regal/Royal and some others after internet upgrades) have an app that you can access your current account from your phone or computer. So if you want to pay off your bill before you leave with cash it is easy to monitor how you are doing. As others have said using a debit card can cause holds on your bank account that you may not want.