Booking accessible room?

skrapngal

Gee I hope that becomes the Norm but given the restrictions placed by the American ADA act, not sure it will.

I think the form may have been the one we had to do for the transfers. It had nothing to do with the use or justification for the room. They needed to know what device daughter would be using, did she need an accessible vehicle or could she climb bus steps, could she transfer from wheelchair or scooter to bus seat, and combined weight of person + device(s).

The only thing we had to do for the room was an attestation that she indeed had a medical condition that made the ADA facilities in the room necessary. I said yes, and offered to send medical documentation. They said not necessary; just needed the attestation statement. It asked for no details at all as most are not permitted under the ADA.

A few weeks ago, my TA got paperwork from Princess requesting information on my need. For example, what are the dimensions of my scooter, what kind of battery does it use. Also, do I need the scooter all of the time. I thought that the questions were fair and important. I don't know if all passengers in accessible cabins had to fill out the same paperwork, but to be fair to the passengers, I hope so,.

These were the same type of questions I was asked. There was no pressure to answer. I have RSDS and the damage is on the nerves on the bottom of my feet. Sure, I can walk from point A to point B. I won't limp or anything. Then I'll come back to my cabin and cry with a 10 point pain level. I can get all the oxycodone I want. Well, okay only around 100 pills a month. What does that tell you?

I use a scooter sometimes - I'm not 100%. Only if there is a lot of walking and standing. Not my favorite things to do. Wearing shoes. Not so much either. I'll bring my scooter just in case. I can't walk Costco because it is just too much for me. That was what Princess was subtlety getting at. Did I really need the extra room to charge and store my scooter - if I was bringing it. Will I use it on the ship? Maybe, maybe not. Then they ask me to agree to it. Fair enough.

But as you noted' date=' this was a last minute assignment when no one who needed the room had booked it. That's great for you and for Princess. In fact, many years ago we got "upgraded" to an HA cabin...in the old days before we needed one. Little did I know.......

The problem occurs when someone who doesn't need such a room requests it and then other people who do need it can't cruise.[/quote']

I was re-assigned from F315 on the Golden Princess, the Handicapped Accessible Window Suite-I use a Rollator and need the grab rails in the bathroom, the TA rang Princess when I made the original booking which was transferred to this booking, to F311. She had a very agitated client to deal with and calm down. She contacted the call centre, and was told I could be re-assigned if someone in a wheelchair wants to cruise. She told me not to worry, she has a contact at Princess, and we've done everything by their rules. Already had to postpone once due to operational reasons, and getting near the 300 day countdown.

I am monitoring my booking closely. Also keeping a sharp eye on the upcoming cruises, eagerly waiting to price any 2018 cruises that are suitable for me. I use the current costings as a guide to save for future cruises. I have several I'd like to do.

Are you booking within final payment? If so, then I believe those are opened to any bookings at that point. At least they used to be.

I honestly hope they are not. Most recently, we booked within the final payment window and got the needed HA cabin. We have 2 upcoming cruises--one the waitlist for an HA cabin "hit" last week and we got it, the other still has the HA pending. These cruises are 8 months away.

We are never certain as to the best way to go--book a normal cabin and waitlist the HA (knowing that we will have to cancel if the waitlist doesn't come thru) or just keep checking and hope for the HA to pop up on line.

As to giving away the HA cabins at 75 days before the cruise--that essentially would mean that people who need them can't do any short notice bookings. I do know that at least one other line holds their HA cabins until 2 weeks before embarkation at which point they can be filled by gty bookings. However, even then they can be "bumped" should someone who needs one calls to book.

I don't want to be "that person" who is always a pain, but there are very few of these rooms on any ship and increasing numbers of people needing them. I would hope that every cruise line would hold them as long as possible so that everyone can take advantage of last minute offers, etc.

Edited by moki'smommy

Go FIL !!!! I'm so glad that his mobility issues aren't keeping all of you land bound. He's not stubborn, just independent and determined. Hope he has many more years of cruising ahead of him.

This is actually his second cruise, but I'm not sure we are going to count the one in 1946 aboard the USS Clay. It was San Francisco to NYC. It will also be his first flight in years. I'm learning all about portable oxygen concentrators (and what you need to take them on board an aircraft). I've been an RN for over 20 years and this is all new to me.

And yeah, stubborn, independent, and determined. He still drives, but not on the interstate, and only to Walmart. Has to go to buy all the sweets DH and I usually don't buy.

This is actually his second cruise, but I'm not sure we are going to count the one in 1946 aboard the USS Clay. It was San Francisco to NYC. It will also be his first flight in years. I'm learning all about portable oxygen concentrators (and what you need to take them on board an aircraft). I've been an RN for over 20 years and this is all new to me.

And yeah, stubborn, independent, and determined. He still drives, but not on the interstate, and only to Walmart. Has to go to buy all the sweets DH and I usually don't buy.

If you are taking oxygen on board, make sure you notify Princess before hand.

Look like on the Disabled Cruising board. Wealth of info over there.

The part in red!!!!

Please note, Princess Cruises guidelines for reserving a Wheelchair Accessible Staterooms directly follows the guidelines set down by the US Department of Justice.

Effective January 3, 2012, compliance with federal regulations regarding the booking of wheelchair accessible cabins will be required. These regulations are designed to enhance the booking process for guests who require the use of a wheelchair accessible cabin. The regulations require that guests who have a recognized disability that alters a major life function, and use a mobility devise, must be able to book a wheelchair accessible cabin when available, and they must acknowledge that they require the use of the cabin.

If the guest arrives at the port for embarkation, and it is apparent that they do not meet the requirements of needing a wheelchair accessible cabin, they may be moved from the cabin if another guest requiring the cabin comes forward.

Directly from the federal regulations,

the following describes devices that can be considered mobility devises, and explains what can be considered a recognized disability that alters a major life function:

• What types of devises DO count as mobility devices? A mobility devise usually has three or four wheels (Wheelchair or scooter) designed to accommodate a mobility disability.
  • What types of devices DO NOT count as mobility devices? A device with one, two, three or more wheels designed for recreation (unicycle, bicycle, wagon, skate board, segway, etc.) Walkers and Canes do not count unless the guests have a recognized disability. (See Below Bullet Point)
  • What is a good description of a recognized disability that alters a major life function (that is required for booking an Accessible cabin)? A disability that affects the major life function "mobility" (standing, walking or running), a paraplegic (paralyzed upper or lower limbs), (quadriplegic paralyzed both arms and legs), stroke, amputee (prosthetic leg), hemiplegia (paralysis on one side of the body). illness or accident that affects mobility.

The Attestation (provided by the US Department of Justice for use by all cruise lines) "I attest that I or another person traveling in the same cabin have a recognized disability that alters a major life function and requires the use of a mobility device and the use of the accessible features provided in the wheelchair accessible cabin. Please be advised Princess is required to investigate the potential misuse of accessible cabins where there is good cause to believe such cabins have been purchased fraudulently. Princess will take appropriate action against someone who has reserved or purchased such a cabin fraudulently. Action may include but is not limited to removal from the cabin to a non accessible accommodation up to denial of boarding."

Edited by Donna’sMom&Dad

From the first day that cruise goes on sale.Otherwise you will be out of luck.

I think I read somewhere that if a person books one of those cabins and does not have a handicap they can get banned from that cruise line for life?.

There are more and more of us now days needing that type of cabin with the population aging.To book that cabin when there are no physical needs is a truly very selfish move indeed.

I actually know someone who was indeed banned for life from Princess. This was over a long period of time in which they booked handicap cabins for every cruise. While embarking they would request a wheelchair and use it until they got to their cabin. Then they would tell the cabin steward to take the wheelchair away as they didn't need it. Then Princess found out they did active excursions that included lots of walking. It was all documented. Right before they were to leave on a world cruise, they got banned for life. So yes it does happen.

My son books HC rooms but he is a disabled veteran who is a high-functioning quadriplegic. He needs the HC cabin.

My wife and I were upgraded from an inside, forward cabin on Crown to a midship, HC balcony cabin on Caribe deck. I guess nobody had booked it and we were upgraded to that cabin a short time before the sail date. I only found out about it because I checked my personalizer. We didn't ask for the upgrade and got no notice from Princess. It was a major upgrade. We loved the cabin.

Edited by Thrak

My son books HC rooms but he is a disabled veteran who is a high-functioning quadriplegic. He needs the HC cabin.

My wife and I were upgraded from an inside, forward cabin on Crown to a midship, HC balcony cabin on Caribe deck. I guess nobody had booked it and we were upgraded to that cabin a short time before the sail date. I only found out about it because I checked my personalizer. We didn't ask for the upgrade and got no notice from Princess. It was a major upgrade. We loved the cabin.

I've been told they often use the for upgrades if they're not booked.

I actually know someone who was indeed banned for life from Princess. This was over a long period of time in which they booked handicap cabins for every cruise. While embarking they would request a wheelchair and use it until they got to their cabin. Then they would tell the cabin steward to take the wheelchair away as they didn't need it. Then Princess found out they did active excursions that included lots of walking. It was all documented. Right before they were to leave on a world cruise, they got banned for life. So yes it does happen.

Princess does not leave a wheelchair for guest use (we specifically asked at booking if this was possible and were told that it was not.) My daughter has a situation where she currently needs a wheelchair sometimes but needs a HA bathroom ALL the time. We were trying to figure out what equipment to bring (as in what happens if she needs the chair while on the ship.) We were told that chairs are available for embarkation/disembarkation only unless prescribed by and rented from the medical center. And this was indeed that we saw on the ship.

Some other lines do have wheelchairs available for guest use on board.

We were offered and accepted an upsell to an HA room Caribe deck on an upcoming cruise. Are we going to be scrutinized each time we go into or exit from our stateroom? Everyone on this site seems to have already pegged us as lowlifes.

We were offered and accepted an upsell to an HA room Caribe deck on an upcoming cruise. Are we going to be scrutinized each time we go into or exit from our stateroom? Everyone on this site seems to have already pegged us as lowlifes.

No. If it was offered as an upsell, it is a room that went unused until very near the sailing date. You have every right to enjoy your good fortune. And your cabin door will look no different to most people than any other door--it is a few inches wider, but this is not obvious to the casual observer.

My concern/complaint is when I attempt to book a cruise and cannot because there are no HA cabins available. Only Princess can determine what is a reasonable length of time to hold those cabins before making them available to the general population. My personal opinion is that a couple weeks to a month before cruising is a reasonable time to let them go. If I haven't made a decision by then, I'm not really invested in going on that particular cruise.

Definitely not. Like I said above, we were upgraded to a Caribe HC balcony. It happens. There's a big difference between accepting an upgrade or upsell and scamming a room. Most people don't even realize they are HC rooms.

Sent from my K00C using Tapatalk

Princess does not leave a wheelchair for guest use (we specifically asked at booking if this was possible and were told that it was not.)

Some other lines do have wheelchairs available for guest use on board.

They used to not too many years ago - and then they came up with their new policy, don't remember what year. Plus, a few years ago, my Mom developed a back issue on the ship (after they said they were not going to make them available) and we were loaned a wheelchair until the end of the cruise. So exceptions are made.

Edited by Coral

I also know someone who told me she was banned for life from Princess for booking handicapped cabins and saying they needed them but would ditch their wheelchair and go on excursions that were not easy excursions.

Edited by CaribbeanIsland

They used to not too many years ago - and then they came up with their new policy, don't remember what year. Plus, a few years ago, my Mom developed a back issue on the ship (after they said they were not going to make them available) and we were loaned a wheelchair until the end of the cruise. So exceptions are made.

Good to know that exceptions are made. This was less than 2 months ago that we were told they did not have any chairs available for guest use and that one would be provided for loading/unloading only...and that was indeed correct.