Broken leg and cruising?

disneyochem

Just found out that my sprained right ankle is actually broken. Leaving on the Jewel on January 10. I'm in a walking boot so am pretty mobile--things just take a bit longer....

Any experiences/thoughts on how to deal with this on a cruise? Do I need to contact NCL and let them know. I am pretty active--have already signed up for snorkeling and kayaking excursions! Know I will have to cancel those trips!

Thanks! And, yes, I did purchase travel insurance but am not about to cancel a cruise because of a little ole broken leg![emoji3]

Just found out that my sprained right ankle is actually broken. Leaving on the Jewel on January 10. I'm in a walking boot so am pretty mobile--things just take a bit longer....

Any experiences/thoughts on how to deal with this on a cruise? Do I need to contact NCL and let them know. I am pretty active--have already signed up for snorkeling and kayaking excursions! Know I will have to cancel those trips!

Thanks! And, yes, I did purchase travel insurance but am not about to cancel a cruise because of a little ole broken leg![emoji3]

Is there a limit to how much walking you are alliowed to do?

I would try to get one of those knee scooters to help you get around faster and easier. You can probably rent one for the cruise.

Or at least bring crutches to aid walking if you ankle gets to sore to keep walking on.

Good luck and have fun.

Lois

Edited by electro

We had a similar situation and we were fortunately able to get a handicapped cabin at no extra cost. Our original cabin had a combination tub/shower so this was much easier for showers !

It would be worth a try; you never know.

In fall 2011, 4 weeks before our Epic TA cruise, DH slipped and hit the side of ankle against furniture. It swelled up and got bruised. When he came to get me at work I took a look at it and said let's go to hospital!

Fracture was shown up on X-ray and he was given a black boot with air-pressurised padding. It helped and we were able to go to Barcelona. He walked a lot - the boot helped. He also took and used a cane, and also he brought some bandages and stiff ankle glove/strap.

We enjoyed the TA - he used the boot at the beginning and in ports, but switched to ankle glove and cane on the ship.

At the end of the cruise we donated the black boot to the Medical Centre on ship - it was very well received and they were delighted.

So ... you should be able to enjoy the cruise ... but no snorkelling or kayaking.

Contact the accessibility desk before your cruise if you think there is anything you might need, e.g., a scooter, chair, etc. They can arrange all sorts of things for you but you need to contact them ahead of time. https://www.ncl.com/about/accessible-cruising. If you don't think you need anything, then just go and have a great time!

IMG_0069.jpg

This is me on the EPIC (I was in a studio cabin). I wasn't supposed to do much walking, so I didn't. I got a spa pass and spent my days up there and on the balcony loungers. 5bf6d3db-a1bf-4be6-bb9e-dc06b4651b76.jpg

I did get off the ship in St. Martin and walked to the little shops in the dockyard. There was no need for me to contact the access desk, nor did I request any specialty devices. My cabins wasn't too far from the elevators and it was 2 decks under the spa so it the best location.

It did take me a little longer than normal to get to places, but that didn't bother me. I did use the elevators more than I normally do, but it is what it is.

We took a family cruise several years back and 2 weeks before we left my daughter broke her ankle. They put her in a cast, and the day before we left they took it off, put her in a boot, so when we came back (12 days later) they put her back in a cast for 6 more weeks. The only reason why they let her have the cast off was that we promised them she would have the boot on all the time.(except when she showered) When we tendered into Grenada one of the islanders carried her off the boat. It was very hard for her, she was on crutches, but she still had a great time. She was 14 at the time and an athlete. For her that was the hardest part, not being able to do some of the activities....At least she got to go. I hope you feel better :o

Thanks everyone for all of the responses! I called and changed two of the shore excursions. Kept the Salsa dancing one--figured I can sit in my chair and shimmy with a margarita!

There are no limitations on walking. In fact, I'm suppose to be as active as possible. Already have a balcony so will definitely be sitting out there with some wine.

Did anyone ask for priority boarding? We are CSA and silver Latitudes--just concerned about blocking the on-board rush!

I had knee surgery exactly 6 weeks prior to a cruise last fall. I was told to walk a lot - and walk I did. Did not notify the ship prior to cruise. Just did what I was comfortable with, always took my cane with me, and if I had to sit, I asked for a chair, and always had one asap - even in a long departure line - said I was getting wobbly, and needed a chair - they brought me one, and the man behind me moved it along the line as needed - kinda funny actually, he wanted to know if I was allowed to take it along to via the transfer to the airport. It never changed my cruise plans except one outing did not take.

I broke the arch of my foot 8 weeks for a cruise. Ended up non weight baring for 5 months. I used my knee scooter all over the ship with no issues.

They had a special needs muster station my family and I went to. I asked for and had a shower chair.

For me going off ship was not worth the hassle and pain so I stayed on ship and relaxed.

My friends where shocked we where still going on our cruise but my thinking was what other kind of vacation could I go on?

When you can walk you don't notice all the surface changes a ship has. Carpet to tile to stone to metal back to carpet.