Y'all are right about the MATTRESS!

I can't think of a cruise where I had an uncomfortable mattress. Could they have fixed it for you? I've actually had my best sleep on cruises.

Me too, but I don't dismiss recent reports about harder mattresses. I was on Freedom in May of 2015 when these reports were starting. My mattress on Oasis this past May had a topper on it and we were ok. We have a sleep number bed where you can adjust the hardness. One night my wife said I was snoring and turned it up all the way. It was so hard, when I woke up I had been sleeping on my right arm for several hours and the blood was shut off. I was unable to use that arm for an hour and it hurt for weeks. I'm a little concerned. Will report back after Majesty next month. If they end up putting these toppers on every bed, it would sure add to the crew work load.

OK, here are some pics of our JS mattress on Freedom from March of 2016.

enhance

enhance

Cabin 9338 to be exact. Seemed like a new mattress. I think it is their cappuccino model

http://www.matermoll.com/en/cappuccino-3-2/

Technical specifications :

Bonnel spring system composed of double cone springs steel wire 2.2 – 2.4 mm

1000-1300 gr/sm felt

21SS soft foam density 21 kg/mc

25NZ foam density 25 kg/mc

30 shaping foam density 30 kg/mc

Perimetral Safety foam system for a better support with 3D band breathable fabri

Fire retardant fabric

TNT

Jacquard perimetral tape

Customizable label

Air vents and handles

Customizable label

Antibedbugs treatment available on request

MED CERTIFICATE/IMO RESOLUTION

Pillow top :

Lugano fabric treated with Milk

100% fire retardant polyester fiber gr 300/sqm

Perimetral 3D band breathable fabric

The key here is this is a 'shipping line' mattress and needs to be fire retardant. Maybe Chengkp75 can share some light. Seems like they have different specs than a US hotel mattress.

I won't ever be in the same predicament again, as back ache on a cruise can pretty much ruin the week. I will order a memory foam topper from Target to be delivered to my hotel the day I check in this coming November. It will come all wrapped up and all I have to do is slap a luggage tag on it and check it in with my luggage :D

I am a bit frightened of the beds, too. But just be aware that those toppers have quite a pungent odor for some time before they air out. Maybe a small bottle of frebreeze to spray onto it after you first open it would be advised.

I agree about the hard beds. We sailed twice on Adventure this year and had the same cabin both times (1688 corner aft). The first cruise on this mattress, I felt like I got beat up or worked out too hard every morning when I woke up. The cabin attendant put extra duvets under the sheet, but it didn't help much. I set out to not have the same experience for my most recent Adventure cruise that I took a few weeks ago.

This time I took with me a camping air mattress that I bought on Amazon. It was called the Klymit Static V Lightweight Sleeping Pad and cost about $50. It inflates with just a few breaths and packs up very compactly and is extremely lightweight. It is only about 2 1/2 inches thick when inflated.. I put it under the mattress pad on my side of the bed. I slept like a baby the entire cruise. My husband was jealous due to the pain in his hip that resulted from the rock-hard mattress. I plan on taking it with me for our next cruise on Adventure in January of '17. I am not confident, even after a full dry-dock, that the mattresses will get any better. I suppose that I will need to order one for DH!

Edited by khm1

So, I just called RCCL about my upcoming cruise ....actually about something else altogether but she was going over my reservation with me when I caught her saying something about adding a bed board. I stopped her and asked her what that was and she stated it was to make the mattress firmer. I asked, 'what?? ... not firmer'. I explained that I wanted it softer, not firmer.

She made the change and told me that she reads CC and understands that there is a bit of complaining about the mattresses recently. :)

Good thing she went over that with me otherwise it might have been worse.

I do have a couple of thermarest air sleeping pads come to think of it.

I think I will try one out again before I go along with the inflatable pillow idea.

I will see if either is worth any of my valuable packing space.

My upcoming cruise actually stops in my home port a few days in so if I can't stand it any longer, I can zip home and bring on some extra bedding. hahaha!!

OK, here are some pics of our JS mattress on Freedom from March of 2016.

Looks like an upscale mattress. Not sure if I had this one, and it looks nice, but the bed I had was too firm. I have never had a problem before with bed comfort, on any ship.

Was on Radiance last month and it was the first time since 2005 that I found the bed uncomfortably hard. And for years I slept on a platform bed that wasn't as hard. Took 3 days to either adjust to it or maybe I was just so tired from busy days that I easily fell asleep. I had been undergoing acupuncture for my lower back before the trip so was not happy those first days worried the bed would undo all the good of treatment. Always used to look forward to great sleeping on a cruise. Hate to think that's a thing of the past.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks everyone for their input. Boarding the Oasis soon and I ordered a Klymit camping mat from Amazon just in case I need it. Looks like it packs up pretty small and no air pump necessary. Just can't justify an entire piece of luggage for a memory foam topper. Plus now I can just toss the mat in my bags whenever I travel in case I have a horrible mattress.

Thanks everyone for their input. Boarding the Oasis soon and I ordered a Klymit camping mat from Amazon just in case I need it. Looks like it packs up pretty small and no air pump necessary. Just can't justify an entire piece of luggage for a memory foam topper. Plus now I can just toss the mat in my bags whenever I travel in case I have a horrible mattress.

I will be boarding when you are getting off. If you remember and are able, please post to let me know how they were!

Let us know how it went when you return. The Klymit camping mattress made a huge diference for me. It does pack up very small and is super easy to blow up. It is also easy to deflate. Put it under the mattress pad to keep it from moving around while you sleep. Have a great cruise!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

The problem is they are changing the mattress on all ships it appears. We never had an issue until the cruise 3 weeks ago, and I had just had great sleep 2 months prior on a different ship. They added the mattress topper to ours; but it still was not as comfortable as any of the previous cruises we had been on. Supposedly they are doing away with having these available to add to your bed.

If you sailed on Empress on the 8/25/2016 sailing, that I saw listed in your signature.....we also were on that sailing. How was your mattress then? We had a very comfortable one, firm enough for me and soft enough for hubby. I would have liked it firmer, but then hubby would not have been happy.

SO just curious of your experience on Empress...if you did sail on her at that time.

I agree about the hard beds. We sailed twice on Adventure this year and had the same cabin both times (1688 corner aft). The first cruise on this mattress, I felt like I got beat up or worked out too hard every morning when I woke up. The cabin attendant put extra duvets under the sheet, but it didn't help much. I set out to not have the same experience for my most recent Adventure cruise that I took a few weeks ago.

This time I took with me a camping air mattress that I bought on Amazon. It was called the Klymit Static V Lightweight Sleeping Pad and cost about $50. It inflates with just a few breaths and packs up very compactly and is extremely lightweight. It is only about 2 1/2 inches thick when inflated.. I put it under the mattress pad on my side of the bed. I slept like a baby the entire cruise. My husband was jealous due to the pain in his hip that resulted from the rock-hard mattress. I plan on taking it with me for our next cruise on Adventure in January of '17. I am not confident, even after a full dry-dock, that the mattresses will get any better. I suppose that I will need to order one for DH!

Thank you! Thank you!:p:p

I just ordered one for myself on Amazon! Wow - it folds up small and only weighs 454g!