Y'all are right about the MATTRESS!

I emailed about getting a foam topper for our upcoming Liberty cruise.

Here's the response:

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us with this information. We have gone ahead and made the appropriate notations in the reservation. We will place a mattress topper on the day of sailing.

Please be advised that we do not have foam toppers.

Best regards,

Tracy

Senior Access Advocate

Crossing my fingers!

Please report back, I'm curious what kind of topper they provide.

If it's like Freedom , it's not much. Our bed had two of them. They are about half inch thick fiber pads. I think they are there to hide the seam when they connect the beds and someone figured they would work as pads. Look kind of like the pillow tops attached to a low end mattress. Adding the duvet under the sheets worked much better.

Edited by John&LaLa

• 1 month later...

I've gotten confirmation for mattress topper next week on 10-23-16 Liberty. We'll see how it works out. In Nov. '15 and this past August, we made no requests but toppers were already on the beds when we arrived. That'll be the first thing I check when I get to the cabin.

On Freedom of the Seas right now. Our bed has an egg crate topper on it, but the bed is still hard as a block of cement. I've been on this shi at least ten times before--not returning after this cruise.

Ours were very comfy just recently!

The ship's topper we saw looked more like a carpet pad.

We are currently in Bournemouth and today we will pick up the memory foam mattress topper we ordered here for our November 10 cruise on Navigator. It will remain at this hotel along with the other things that won't be traveling to Africa with us.

My lower back still hurts after 7 nights on QM2 which ended Oct.18.

Edited by SPacificbound

Hmmmm interesting... I was on Adventure back in February and was actually bed ridden for a few days from my face completely swelling up from a sunburn and had the best sleeps/naps when I was resting. Interesting to see what happens when I'm on her in March after the current refurb.

Hmmmm interesting... I was on Adventure back in February and was actually bed ridden for a few days from my face completely swelling up from a sunburn and had the best sleeps/naps when I was resting. Interesting to see what happens when I'm on her in March after the current refurb.

I can believe that. Our cruise in April on Adventure was as comfy (firm but comfy) as ever for 8 of us in 4 different cabins on 3 different decks.

• 1 year later...
Just got off the Oasis and our bed was very hard!!! I did not know you could request toppers.

We have been in JS 8240 on and off for the last two months. It has a decent pillow-top mattress, but I just discovered that is placed upside down. :eek:

Anyway, it was fine, I meant to tell Dwayne, but I forgot.

I requested a topper on my Harmony cruise. They had forgotten when we got on and we took a nap and my wife was fine with it. Our steward asked us if she could bring one for us and my wife said no. I wish she had said yes. Wasn't horrible but wasn't great either.

For our Liberty cruise I again requested a topper and received an email that it would be on our bed when we get there. We'll see. But at least they didn't say they don't have them. Who knows.

• 1 month later...
Would also appreciate feedback from anyone who has recently come off Enchantment...

Thought the mattress on the Encantment was fine and really comfortable

In stark contrast, we went on Navigator for 9 nights immediately after the Enchantment Cruise, the mattress was AWFUL! It was rock hard and I woke up with neck pain and restricted movement on a number of occasions. By day 9 my back was so sore!

I sent them a post cruise e-mail telling them how awful it was!

Wish we had the Enchantment mattress for 9 nights instead of only 4

Thought the mattress on the Encantment was fine and really comfortable

In stark contrast, we went on Navigator for 9 nights immediately after the Enchantment Cruise, the mattress was AWFUL! It was rock hard and I woke up with neck pain and restricted movement on a number of occasions. By day 9 my back was so sore!

I sent them a post cruise e-mail telling them how awful it was!

Wish we had the Enchantment mattress for 9 nights instead of only 4

Did you complain to your cabin steward? If so, could they not create some kind of mattress pad?? :confused:

Mentioned it but nothing they could do

We had a JS on Enchantment, wonder if that has a slightly 'upgraded' mattress ?

"Nothing they could do" doesn't sound correct.... I would of been in the Hotel Director's face if that happened to me. That bed mattress was unacceptable for any passenger. You might consider buying one of these:

Klymit Static V Luxe Sleeping Pad, Grey - 30" width

I've brought one on a couple of cruises but it wasn't needed. Great insurance when "nothing could be done". They roll up to one lb and very small. Reusable. Sorry you had to suffer through a bad mattress...

The problem is they are changing the mattress on all ships it appears. We never had an issue until the cruise 3 weeks ago, and I had just had great sleep 2 months prior on a different ship. They added the mattress topper to ours; but it still was not as comfortable as any of the previous cruises we had been on. Supposedly they are doing away with having these available to add to your bed.

Just off the Allure and we had a horribly hard mattress. We have never had a bad mattress on Royal cruises until this one. Cabin attendant said they are changing out all mattresses to the hard ones. No more egg crates either. As we were disembarking, they were brining up mattresses to put in other staterooms. :(

Recently off the Allure and I can say up until now never had a problem but the matress on the Allure was absolutely terrible, harder a carpet floor. This was my main negative comment about the ship. We asked the Steward for a egg crate and he said that they do not have them and nothing he can do. I went to guest services and when i got to the room he was adding extra sheets which did nothing for comfort.