Y'all are right about the MATTRESS!

Does anyone have experience with mattresses on Jewel of the Seas? We're leaving in two weeks and I'm now thinking of ordering a mattress pad to take along.

Ours had significant permanent depressions last month.

I am wondering if anyone knows how the mattresses are in the JS on Serenade, and if they have egg crates.

Asked for 1 on the Adventure last week and was told that they got rid of them and are longer offered because they cannot be sanitized between cruises. Whether or not that is true or not is another story.

I am just curious, the post before yours on this thread happened over 1 year before your post. What prompted you to find or look up this thread and reactivate it?

People get criticized for not using the search feature. When they do use the search feature, they get criticized for bringing up old threads.

Mattress seemed fine on Freedom cruise in May. Why replace?

Like at home, mattresses get replaced periodically. I'm guessing Royal has a contract with someone who is providing these fleet wide and probably got a good deal on them. They were first reported on Freedom back in 2015. I was happy when I got the ship that year mine already had an egg crate topper on it. I heard from others on the ship how hard their bed was. I had the exact same events on Oasis in 2016 and Adventure in 2017, but it wasn't until Majesty last September that I had to sleep on one of these concrete slabs. They are so hard no matter which way I sleep blood gets cut off. On Majesty I asked for an egg crate topper and was told they don't use them, even though I had one on that same ship one year earlier. I was given a pad that helped enough to sleep. This story is the reason for the one line in my signature that says 83 out of 84 great night sleeps.

Asked for 1 on the Adventure last week and was told that they got rid of them and are longer offered because they cannot be sanitized between cruises. Whether or not that is true or not is another story.

That seems reasonable. I was told the same thing on Majesty last Sept.

People get criticized for not using the search feature. When they do use the search feature, they get criticized for bringing up old threads.

So true! I am very glad gatortrue renewed this thread as it brings up an important issue. A lousy bed is bad enough on a short cruise but quite miserable on the longer cruises I book.

The worst mattresses I have ever slept on have ALL been on Royal Caribbean ships and one of the reasons my next Royal cruise might be my last.

In my experience, Celebrity and Princess had far better beds. A mattress can be firm and still relatively comfortable if the mattress is of good quality and not an antique and saggy. The trough beds on the Royal ships I have sailed are unacceptable.

The mattress debate is all about perspective. Some like hard, some medium, some soft. Royal or any other cruise line

will never win here. There will always be complaints. That's why they should all be sleep number beds. No cost issues there right? :cool: ha.

The mattress debate is all about perspective. Some like hard, some medium, some soft. Royal or any other cruise line

will never win here. There will always be complaints. That's why they should all be sleep number beds. No cost issues there right? :cool: ha.

Over simplification. Some like it hot, but 210F is too hot. I've hard firm mattresses, but not there was no give whatsoever on the one I had on Majesty, I'd love to tear it apart and see how it was made, I'm betting shortcuts to make it cheaper make it harder.

Over simplification. Some like it hot, but 210F is too hot. I've hard firm mattresses, but not there was no give whatsoever on the one I had on Majesty, I'd love to tear it apart and see how it was made, I'm betting shortcuts to make it cheaper make it harder.

You might want to research fire retardent mattresses approved for cruise ships.

FWIW, I can't recall a mattress lately that was anywhere near as hard as the carpeted floors of our cabin. Much less a slab of concrete. 😉

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Does anyone have experience with mattresses on Jewel of the Seas? We're leaving in two weeks and I'm now thinking of ordering a mattress pad to take along.

Ours was the worst.....the Jewel was the ship that I slept on sofa (and that was awful and short) all week....horrible matresses and they brought duvets to put under the sheets, but it did very little in the way of relief.

You might want to research fire retardent mattresses approved for cruise ships.

FWIW, I can't recall a mattress lately that was anywhere near as hard as the carpeted floors of our cabin. Much less a slab of concrete. 😉

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Very darn close. When I wake up because extremities have no blood its too hard and the pain last for hours.

So true! I am very glad gatortrue renewed this thread as it brings up an important issue. A lousy bed is bad enough on a short cruise but quite miserable on the longer cruises I book.

The worst mattresses I have ever slept on have ALL been on Royal Caribbean ships and one of the reasons my next Royal cruise might be my last.

In my experience, Celebrity and Princess had far better beds. A mattress can be firm and still relatively comfortable if the mattress is of good quality and not an antique and saggy. The trough beds on the Royal ships I have sailed are unacceptable.

Completely and TOTALLY agree.....you all may laugh, but the best matresses and bedding has been on Carnival.....never have issues on CCL, but have NEVER had a comfortable bed on ANY RCI ships. While it is true that everyone has their own 'desires' and 'likes' regarding a matress, most are 'sleepable' and don't cause pain and back issues on other ships like they do on RCI. We noticed that many of the ships don't have a spring grate under the matress, but instead a light blue plastic 'bunky' solid platform under them....AWFUL and HARD!! no give at all! I hope someone from RCI is reading this thread who can make a difference. We are trying one more ship, the Harmony in Jan, and if I can't sleep on the bed it may be our last unfortunately as we have otherwise enjoyed the ships!!:loudcry:

That is good to know about Carnival, buddylover. I'll be on Pride in 2019 for a girls cruise. I had no mattress issues on the one previous Carnival cruise on which I sailed.

Have a great cruise, the Pride is one ship I have never been on....been on sister ships - Legend and Miracle tho!!

We cruised in October on Oasis and it was miserable even with the egg crate topper. Happily we purchased a small blow up mattress and took it with us and once we got that in place the rest of the week was fine. I have been cruising quite a few years and the beds have seemed to get harder and harder. For those who don't want to give up on Royal the inflatable mattress was not cheap...about $80.00 a piece but weighs under a pound and went right in the suitcase. It is made by Klymit. You can order the on Amazon.

With three Royal cruises in the next three months, I asked for a Klymit mattress pad for Christmas. I remember many Royal cruises when the beds were hard. Agree about the Carnival beds, they are very comfortable.

Come on Royal, use some of those profits to upgrade the mattresses.