Y'all are right about the MATTRESS!

Do you think these would be the same mattresses that are on anthem ?

We were on the 11/30/15 sailing and we had the Flintstone beds they were awful . Every day we would see people napping in two 70 on the couches and joked that they couldn't sleep in their beds either. Other than the beds we loved the ship. Have a great cruise. :)

We were also on 11/30/15 sailing in a SJS, even though the mattress was firm, we had no problems sleeping at night. We always sleep well on every cruise.

Sorry we were on the liberty last year in a gs and it had the hardest bed my back ached so bad i had trouble getting out of bed every morning and no bed toppers available.

We were also on Liberty for 3 sailings in October, 2 of those sailings B2B in GS 1256 and sleep fine for all 15 nights, we like a firm mattress.

I was in a GS on Serenade and the bed was hard as a rock!!

I asked my steward to please put on an egg crate topper. He put on THREE!

Yay!

So much better!

I can't believe they have Flintstone beds on these ships. :eek:

My Serenade bed was awful in October. My steward added some kind of pad, but that only helped a little. My Mom was fine but I woke up with a sore back every day.

My next three cruises are on Princess, and I thought I remember reading that they've improved their mattresses from the rocks they used to be so I have high hopes for a better night's sleep.

By the time my next RCI cruise rolls around in 2017, maybe they will have added pillow tops to all the Flintstone beds. One can hope. Keep on letting them know in the post cruise surveys.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Edited by Cruzin-K

We were on the Freedom in November. They changed our mattress mid-week. I've always slept amazing on the cruise ships, and I realize some people like softer, some like firmer. I do prefer firm and my husband prefers even firmer than me, but these new mattresses take the word firm to a whole new level. When they compare them to a slab of stone it's not really a lot of exaggeration. When you sat on it there was no give at all, it really felt like you were sitting on a wooden or concrete bench. We were fortunate that the steward found a topper for us and with the topper we were able to sleep, even though it was a little firmer than I would have liked. It probably would have been too firm for some people. I just hope they soften up soon from everyone tossing and turning on them so they will be eventually comfortable.

My Serenade bed was awful in October. My steward added some kind of pad, but that only helped a little. My Mom was fine but I woke up with a sore back every day.

My next three cruises are on Princess, and I thought I remember reading that they've improved their mattresses from the rocks they used to be so I have high hopes for a better night's sleep.

By the time my next RCI cruise rolls around in 2017, maybe they will have added pillow tops to all the Flintstone beds. One can hope. Keep on letting them know in the post cruise surveys.

We were on the Serenade last February. I was not well anyway (bad reaction to meds I had to take right before we left) and it was just miserable on their flat thin beds. That had never happened to me on a cruise before (Silhouette, Freedom OTS, etc). We have a gs on the allure next month and I will be sleeping alone on the couch, is it going to be horrible? I will take a pillowtop or something with me if necessary.

How was your bed on our April cruise? You had a GS then.

I only mentioned the Grand Suite, as one would think suites would at least have upgraded mattresses like on Princess. In fact, Princess is in the process of replacing all mattresses in their fleet with a new, luxury line.

I had pre-ordered toppers for my most recent Serenade and Jewel cruises, and had no problems.

We'll see how it goes with Explorer next September.....

Just adding my two cents...

We were on the Anthem over Thanksgiving. This was our sixth cruise with Royal. We never had a problem with the mattress on any of our prior cruises. On Anthem, the mattress was, literally, as hard as a piece of plywood. It was not "firm." It was not "very firm." It was not "ultra firm." It was simply "rock-hard" and EXTREMELY uncomfortable. Believe me, if these mattresses were for sale in a mattress showroom, no one in their right mind would ever buy one.

We asked the stateroom attendant for an egg crate topper but he said there were none on the ship. And that it was a new policy not to have them onboard. Instead, he put a duvet over the mattress. It helped a little but not enough to make sleeping as pleasant as it should be and has been in the past.

I really hope Royal gets the message and stops using these new mattresses.

Liberty already has the "new" mattresses. We were on the 12-20 sailing, and I have never been so happy to get home and in my own bed in my life...loved the cruise, but hated every night sleeping on that concrete mattress.

How was your bed on our April cruise? You had a GS then.

I only mentioned the Grand Suite, as one would think suites would at least have upgraded mattresses like on Princess. In fact, Princess is in the process of replacing all mattresses in their fleet with a new, luxury line.

I had pre-ordered toppers for my most recent Serenade and Jewel cruises, and had no problems.

We'll see how it goes with Explorer next September.....

I don't remember the mattress being bad at all in April, but I'm not sure exactly when the mattresses were swapped out. I don't know if it had to do with being in a suite vs. balcony, or if the April cruise still had the old mattresses. :confused:

I don't remember the mattress being bad at all in April, but I'm not sure exactly when the mattresses were swapped out. I don't know if it had to do with being in a suite vs. balcony, or if the April cruise still had the old mattresses. :confused:

I had the GS in April 2014, and that's when it was hard as a rock.

When we did the B2B that year, I had ordered a topper for the JS I was in on the first leg, but didn't think about it when changing to the GS for the second leg.

I was just glad that my steward was so accommodating!! :D

The bed on the cruise we did this past April was fine, but again, I had pre-ordered the topper, so that may have been a factor.

Since there are a lot of comments about this, perhaps we SHOULD give RC a head's up.:eek:

For people looking for sizes the beds are an odd size but regular kingsize 72x80 should work fine.

Everyone has a like for their bed, I like mine very firm I have had a sleep number for about 15 years and usually keep it at 90-95.

I used to work for a large mattress chain in the Boston area, I ran the warehouse and scheduled all the home deliveries as well as sales.

I do feel I am qualified to comment on the mattresses, they are typical Hotel quality that are very firm with minimal padding with a box spring they are OK but with the platform that Royal puts them on they are not good at all in my opinion.

I am truly amazed that Celebrity has realized that a quality bed is a good way to get people to choose your cruise line over another and Royal is the line they are shifting customers from?

While I did not have a bad cruise on the recent TA and I liked the size of the ship for the 11 days at sea vs the Reflection where after 8 days we were going a little stir crazy.

There are enough negatives to have me cross Royal off my list, and it is possible if I took a cruise on a different ship than Allure I might prefer Royal but my cruises are far enough apart that I am not willing to give Royal a 2nd chance without confirming 100% the issues I had such as hard bed no omelettes, hard to find coffee and really really bad coffee.

Oh and a bed that is a rock with a sheet over it!

major plus is the high speed internet :)

For people looking for sizes the beds are an odd size but regular kingsize 72x80 should work fine.

Everyone has a like for their bed, I like mine very firm I have had a sleep number for about 15 years and usually keep it at 90-95.

I used to work for a large mattress chain in the Boston area, I ran the warehouse and scheduled all the home deliveries as well as sales.

I do feel I am qualified to comment on the mattresses, they are typical Hotel quality that are very firm with minimal padding with a box spring they are OK but with the platform that Royal puts them on they are not good at all in my opinion.

I am truly amazed that Celebrity has realized that a quality bed is a good way to get people to choose your cruise line over another and Royal is the line they are shifting customers from?

While I did not have a bad cruise on the recent TA and I liked the size of the ship for the 11 days at sea vs the Reflection where after 8 days we were going a little stir crazy.

There are enough negatives to have me cross Royal off my list, and it is possible if I took a cruise on a different ship than Allure I might prefer Royal but my cruises are far enough apart that I am not willing to give Royal a 2nd chance without confirming 100% the issues I had such as hard bed no omelettes, hard to find coffee and really really bad coffee.

Oh and a bed that is a rock with a sheet over it!

major plus is the high speed internet :)

Would you agree that it would be difficult to add a box spring and still have under bed storage for suitcases?

It's 10:17 p.m. I'm so tired - got up really early today. I can't sleep on this mattress, even with TWO crate mattress topers. My back is killing me already. Anyone have an idea about where I can sleep? It's going to be an awfully LONG week :(

If your staterm has the ceiling bunks what's on them? Maybe those mattresses could be brought down?

This situation would be a deal breaker for me as I'm a real grouch when sleep deprived.

• 3 months later...

We are recently off the Anthem. By far the hardest bed I have ever been on. So uncomfortable. I had the room steward double up the comforters on the bed, helped very little. We are going on the Allure in January and trying to figure out who to get a topper onboard.

The last time I was on the Liberty I hated the mattress (so hard!) and they were out of egg crate toppers. I had the room attendant provide several extra blankets and folded them up to give me at least a bit of padding. I wound up taking several naps per day instead of sleeping in "normal" lengths of time because my hips were hurting too much to get more than a few hours at a time.

I've emailed in advance (to special needs) to request a mattress topper be placed on my bed for the trip I've got booked in June and their reply was that one would be placed on my bed before I arrive. We'll see how that works out, but I sure hope they can arrange it!

I used to love the mattresses on Royal and slept very well and comfortably.. the new versions are terrible for my hips.

Cheers,

FL

If your staterm has the ceiling bunks what's on them? Maybe those mattresses could be brought down?

This situation would be a deal breaker for me as I'm a real grouch when sleep deprived.

give her a bed of nails,moanin,silly,woman:(

I was on the Oasis in Nov and the bed was very comfortable but was different than previous cruises, I unzipped it, 100% foam, different colors, no coils. I sailed with others that complained their bed had horrible sagging and very uncomfortable.

Perhaps they make new beds super hard such that it won't sag. The hard and the saggers would be bad for me, only the all foam would work (w/o going back to a newer coil mattress with foam topper which I bet they aren't doing anymore.)

Fill out those surveys............. RCCL must be moving backwards in this area. I remember when Majesty was renovated and got VERY nice beds and bedding, years and years ago.

We just got back from the Brilliance on the 22nd. Same thing.

I bought a 1 1/2" foam topper in Walmart for only $10 (twin size for my side).

I used one of those large vacuum seal bags and it fit flat in my luggage. I was so excited because someone had suggested this on cruise critic.

It didn't do a thing!!

I'm a side sleeper & was n such pain during the night.

I asked my cabin steward for lots of pillows (they're flat now!). I had one for my head and 4 to cushion my body n the bed. Covered it with a sheet & it helped.

The last time I was on the Liberty I hated the mattress (so hard!) and they were out of egg crate toppers. I had the room attendant provide several extra blankets and folded them up to give me at least a bit of padding. I wound up taking several naps per day instead of sleeping in "normal" lengths of time because my hips were hurting too much to get more than a few hours at a time.

I've emailed in advance (to special needs) to request a mattress topper be placed on my bed for the trip I've got booked in June and their reply was that one would be placed on my bed before I arrive. We'll see how that works out, but I sure hope they can arrange it!

I used to love the mattresses on Royal and slept very well and comfortably.. the new versions are terrible for my hips.

Cheers,

FL

What is that email? Thanks!

Guest maddycat

I posted this on the other mattress/bed thread.

We were recently on the Anthem. After reading about the mattresses here on cc we were concerned that we wouldn't get a good night's sleep. Our bed at home has a very plush topper on it. We thought that the mattress on the Anthem was great. We slept better than we do at home.