Escape reviews were getting better

KeithJenner

Last week someone posted on here asking whether the Escape was really as bad as the reviews suggested, and I had a quick look at the reviews and was surprised to see that, rather than the endless list of bad reviews that there were at the start, there was actually a lot of very good (4 and 5 star reviews), with only the occasional bad one mixed in.

I meant to have a bit of a better look at them when I was back on my computer, which I have just done now. Given the number of reviews there are, it's a bit difficult to look too far into it, but I just broke down the reviews into groups of 10 (based on publication date of the reviews), and then worked out the average score for each group, to see how the average rating has changed over time. I think the results are quite interesting, they are as follows:

Reviews 1-10 2.5

Reviews 11-20 2.9

Reviews 21-30 2.7

Reviews 31-40 3.3

Reviews 41-50 3.3

Reviews 51-60 3.1

Reviews 61-70 3.7

Reviews 71-80 3.1

Reviews 81-90 3.2

Reviews 91-100 2.7

Reviews 101-110 3.1

Reviews 111-120 3.8

Reviews 121-130 3.8

Reviews 131-140 3.3

Reviews 141-150 4.1

Reviews 151-160 4.6

Reviews 161-170 4.3

Reviews 171-180 4.1

Reviews 181-190 3

Reviews 191-198 3.1

Initially, the reviews were not good at all, and some of us made the observation that these were based on unusual cruises (i.e. one nighters and travel agent specials) which had specific issues that caused a number of the negatives. We suggested that when those were out of the way we would see a more accurate view of what people think of the ship.

This showed up as the reviews started improving after about the first 100 reviews, and for a period the average stayed above 4stars, which is very good.

It's interesting that the ratings have dived back again recently. Perhaps this is because of Christmas and New Year, as a lot of the negative reviews during that period referred to problems with dining reservations and crowds. It will be interesting to see what happens in the coming weeks.

One other point. Looking through those reviews shows how careful you have to be when using them to influence your decisions. For example, one of the reviews wasn't even of the Escape. Someone had posted a review of one of the Aways, on the basis it was a sister ship, and marked it down because of the balcony size.

Another observation, it does seem that the Escape just can't get away from those 1 and 2 star reviews which drag the overall rating down. However, the number of 2 star reviews in the first 100 reviews published was 25, but in the 98 since then the number was down to 10, which is quite an improvement.

With one star reviews, there were 10 in the first 100 published, compared to 7 in the last 98, so not such a big improvement there. However, that does mean that the 1 or 2 star reviews made up 35% of the first 100 reviews, but that number is down to 17% since then. This is still too high, but an improvement.

On the other hand, those 1 and 2 star reviews make up 33% of the last 18 reviews, so thats another sign of the recent slump.

Another observation, it does seem that the Escape just can't get away from those 1 and 2 star reviews which drag the overall rating down. However, the number of 2 star reviews in the first 100 reviews published was 25, but in the 98 since then the number was down to 10, which is quite an improvement.

With one star reviews, there were 10 in the first 100 published, compared to 7 in the last 98, so not such a big improvement there. However, that does mean that the 1 or 2 star reviews made up 35% of the first 100 reviews, but that number is down to 17% since then. This is still too high, but an improvement.

On the other hand, those 1 and 2 star reviews make up 33% of the last 18 reviews, so thats another sign of the recent slump.

Hey, It was myself who asked that question, So thank you for looking through the numbers.

It is a strange one isn't it, Understandably the first few reviews were not the greatest, New ship etc. Then the reviews picked up as expected, However as you say they start to dip again.

I think as was suggested on the thread at the time, Everything should be taken with a pinch of salt as everybody has their own opinions and things that they expect to see which will effect their overall experience. I will certainly be going on the ship, Excited as I can be and will just enjoy the experience. I have only been on 3 cruises and am hooked. I have sailed on the Oasis of the seas, The NCL Epic, NCL Getaway and now the Escape planned for the future, So in terms of people talking about the crowds and the upcharges, I think as I have only sailed the larger ships anyway, I know no different. I come to expect the crowds and to be honest, I have not experienced a bad one so far whilst cruising, it adds to the excitement and atmosphere for me, Everybody having a good time etc. Up charges, I know they exist before I get on the ship, I familiarise myself with them so i Know what to expect. I have seen a lot on here over the past year that things are changing on the ship mid cruise that people did not Know about, Whilst this is not acceptable, I wouldn't let it ruin my cruise. If I want it bad enough, Ill pay it, if its not worth it i wont.

However, i am sure I will board the ship and have a great time like 90% of everybody else that boards.

Keith have you had a slow day at work?:D

Happy New Year to you and your family

:)

There's nothing like a bit of light statistics to relax after a hard day at work. You can all mock as much as you like, I don't care. :)

Being serious though for a second, actually looking at the numbers does help to see beyond the perception we get when just looking through things. We do, for example, tend to give the negatives more weight than the positives.

What did surprise me was how good the reviews got for a while. There was no mention of it on these boards, but for a while, the Escape was getting some of the best reviews anywhere on Cruise Critic.

Edited by KeithJenner

:)

There's nothing like a bit of light statistics to relax after a hard day at work. You can all mock as much as you like, I don't care. :)

Being serious though for a second, actually looking at the numbers does help to see beyond the perception we get when just looking through things. We do, for example, tend to give the negatives more weight than the positives.

What did surprise me was how good the reviews got for a while. There was no mention of it on these boards, but for a while, the Escape was getting some of the best reviews anywhere on Cruise Critic.

I Get it!!! I LOVE playing around with numbers. Thank you so much for your hard work. We are boarding the Escape in a few weeks and I was starting to regret the booking! I will be sure to come back and give a detailed review on our return. I think it is very possible reviews went down over the holidays as I have read some of them and they were indeed about too crowded, too many children, Ect.

Another observation, it does seem that the Escape just can't get away from those 1 and 2 star reviews which drag the overall rating down.

That made me think of "Crankella" on our Transatlantic. She sat at the bar beside me at Margaritaville going on and on and on about how the quesadillas were way too spicy, and what a terrible time she was having. She was miserable. She said she was "working" writing for cruise critic and other places. For half an hour she talked about how horrible her experience was because of spicy quesadillas. I'm sure she's one that would give the entire cruise a 1 or 2 star rating because of that. We've all met people like that, either on the forum and/or on our cruises. I didn't help matters by commenting that I thought they weren't spicy enough, and acting like I'd never heard of cruise critic so she didn't feel quite so important. :D

A good number of the terrible to poor reviews address issues that aren't necessarily ship-specific. The concern the ship isn't kid/family friendly enough also seems to come up a lot. Yet the very next reviewers first comment was that this ship is not for adults. Perplexing. It seems the ones that feel it isn't family friendly enough would like any adult oriented activity or space on the ship should be replaced by something geared towards kids and families. Others are going to be up in arms the first time they hear a kid cry during dinner.

The rocking and motion of the ship appears a lot too. I don't really feel like this should be included in a review. Amongst other factors, I don't think there has been a single week in the Caribbean so far this season that hasn't had some sort of big storm event that is going to effect seas.

I just don't place a lot of faith in these reviews so early on. The onslaught of changes left a sour taste with many people who are going in with a negative attitude or an axe to grind. Some of the uber-cruise critics are going to berate every negative thing they can find. Others are first timers who enjoyed themselves and have no real basis for comparison.

Once we sail at the end of the month, Escape will be my 4th line and 6th ship to sail of varying sizes. I won't do a full play by play review, but I will try to provide some subjective comments and thoughts.

Edited by Jeremiah1212

That made me think of "Crankella" on our Transatlantic. She sat at the bar beside me at Margaritaville going on and on and on about how the quesadillas were way too spicy, and what a terrible time she was having. She was miserable. She said she was "working" writing for cruise critic and other places. For half an hour she talked about how horrible her experience was because of spicy quesadillas. I'm sure she's one that would give the entire cruise a 1 or 2 star rating because of that. We've all met people like that, either on the forum and/or on our cruises. I didn't help matters by commenting that I thought they weren't spicy enough, and acting like I'd never heard of cruise critic so she didn't feel quite so important. :D

Your post reminded me of a passenger on a cruise my mom and I took to Nova Scotia and Quebec one fall. We were on an excursion, driving from the port of Gaspe to the cliffs at Perce to enjoy the scenery. This woman started complaining as she was boarding the bus that she had paid for three tickets and was the only one going and the only open seat was in the back of the bus and she hates riding in the back of the bus and it's cold in here and she couldn't believe the nerve of her friends backing out at the last minute and how long does this drive take to get to Perce anyway?

OMG. She complained the entire way there (about 45 minutes). THEN, as we boarded the bus to return several hours later, she stepped onto the bus (again, the last passenger to board), stared at the seating options and unloaded on the tour guide. She was NOT going to sit in that back seat again. She had paid for THREE tickets and had seen NOTHING of the sites on the way over and she would just be DAMNED if she was going to sit in the back of the bus and look "at the same dirt I saw going out there!"

A very nice couple sitting two seats behind the driver, opposite side that she had occupied for the first part of the excursion, stood and moved to the back of the bus so this woman could have their seat. Not a thank you, no acknowledgment, nothing from this woman.

The bus had no sooner left the shore than she started in again. The driver's window was slightly open and, because of that, she was certain she would have pneumonia before we got back to the ship. And the tour guide needed to tell us earlier about what site was coming up because by the time he said it, we were already upon it and she wasn't given ample notice to enjoy it. Furthermore, because she had changed sides of the bus, she was now seeing exactly the same things she had seen going out.

One man sitting behind my mom and me piped up that he wasn't at all surprised that her "friends" had stood her up. In fact, he wondered quite loudly whether she had any friends and perhaps had tried unsuccessfully to bribe someone to come with her. Furthermore, he found it very hot on the bus and would any of us sitting near him mind if he lowered his window?

And you KNOW her review, if she wrote one, was that the cruise was horrible, the excursions were horrible, everything sucked.

I'll bet when she was a child, her mother had to tie a pork chop around her leg to get the dog to play with her. :D:eek:

Hello I look at numbers and excel all day and appreciate the time you took to do this as I am likely going on the ship. It shows that improvements are likely being made. Of course some people will never be happy and skew certain weeks lower.