Slip sliding away

Do all RCCL ships have super slick areas on the pool deck which cause almost every third person walking on them slip or fall? I slipped hard on the first sea day last week and my entire elbow is still black and blue. The texture of paint on the floor seems to be almost glasslike and I watched all week of folks falling/sliding in a few areas that were only marginally wet. I don't remember seeing this on other ships including the Mariner sister ship I have sailed.

yes...make sure to wear "grippy" shoes...and the decks get HOT....

True, last cruise I had to take DD to have her foot looked after she decided to kick a rock ( just a blood blister ) and there was a guy there getting bandages and creams for his foot because he didn't wear shoes and burned the bottom of his feet. Of course they were trying to blame the ship and get out of paying the fee for the medicine and bandages. But it shows that you really need to wear shoes. I even have water shoes for the kids so when they get in and out of the pool they still have feet covering.

Do all RCCL ships have super slick areas on the pool deck which cause almost every third person walking on them slip or fall? I slipped hard on the first sea day last week and my entire elbow is still black and blue. The texture of paint on the floor seems to be almost glasslike and I watched all week of folks falling/sliding in a few areas that were only marginally wet. I don't remember seeing this on other ships including the Mariner sister ship I have sailed.

Was it in the Solarium?

Really.... :rolleyes:

Yeah, RCI wants to be sued everyday and all day.

Good grief.

Jc no responsibility Monday apparently.

Really? Not helpful.

Since RCI got rid of the blue/green fake grass/ carpet type of pool deck stuff and replaced it with fake teak stuff I always check my footwear by sliding one foot on a wet area but that is no guarantee. Someone may have spilled food which had not been cleared properly or even suntan lotion.

The fake grass stuff was awful as it stank in the heat , the newer fake teak stuff looks nice but beware of your footwear!!

I walked barefoot and in sandals in Solarium and regular pool area and never slipped at all.

I also don't recall seeing ANYONE slip there during the entire 8-day cruise... I don't count the girl in the platform heels, because I think she twisted an ankle, rather than slipping, and fell off her perch.

Claims of "every third person slipping" seem to be a gross exaggeration, based on what I saw on the same ship just a week prior.

I find the pool decks very slippery when wet when I am wearing older flip flops that may have lost their "tread". If they are very smooth on the bottom, they slide around. As long as I wear newer ones I am usually fine, but cautious.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

I walked barefoot and in sandals in Solarium and regular pool area and never slipped at all.

I also don't recall seeing ANYONE slip there during the entire 8-day cruise... I don't count the girl in the platform heels, because I think she twisted an ankle, rather than slipping, and fell off her perch.

Claims of "every third person slipping" seem to be a gross exaggeration, based on what I saw on the same ship just a week prior.

It could very well be that there were areas between the pools/hot tubs and seating areas that had standing water that couldn't drain quick enough. The crew was good with the squeegee to move the water to the drains, but they weren't there at all times.

As I posted prior, I haven't noticed it on any of my RCCL cruises and wanted to see if there were any changes to the decking or paint used.

I have noticed it but not only on RCL ships. I think many cruise lines are using the same decking now.

I found on windy days when the spray from the splash pads and water squirts get blown onto the deck they can create puddles which are very slippery. On the FOS I was sitting near a puddle one day and saw a lot of people slip. I didn't see anyone get hurt and it was mostly kids running who were slipping. I do feel that the staff were not keeping up with the deck maintenance that day, most other days they did a better job with the squeegee and removing the puddles.

I don't recall seeing people slip on normal wet decks, just on puddled areas.

I recall on the Disney Magic it was slippery when wet but they were constantly passing by with the squeegee and removing the excess water.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I took a nasty fall on Allure up near the zipline entrance. It was so slippery and my feet just slipped out from under me and I landed flat on my butt. Fortunately, I didn't get seriously hurt, but I had a huge painful bruise for a few weeks.

Coming out of the hot tubs both of us have almost slipped and fallen several times on the steps which are ceramic tile.

I've slipped many times in many different places though, in asphalt parking lots, even on the cement at Costco; recently at a ski resort with Uggs on! Had to buy Yak Tracks for them. The worst are my Crocks which can wear down and get slick pretty quick. Ya gotta wear sensible shoes in wet weather, i.e. on pool decks. The number one culprit is shoes. Incidentally, bare feet are probably the best traction you have. But you can't go barefoot on a ship. Any boat for that matter you should at least wear deck shoes. Oh for the days when the decks were real teak! You didn't slip on those weathered boards, maybe a splinter or so though..

I have learned what to wear on a cruise and they aren't always stylish...Ces't La Vie

Edited by BecciBoo

Real teak wood, besides being beautiful, has natural non-skid properties to it.

The fake teak gets hot as the suns surface and becomes like an ice rink when wet. It requires less maintenance than real teak but I don't like the stuff at all.

The worst are the tiles in the Solarium on the Brilliance and Serenade. Many times, I had to take very gingerly steps when getting out of the pool or whirlpool. Saw many take really bad falls.

We have witnessed people falling in the Solarium and out on the pool decks.

I have almost slipped in the Solarium even though I was trying to be extra careful. Always watch your step.

I have an old dirty pair of fisherman sandals that have very good soles that I take with me to wear around the pool decks.

What kind of shoes do you recommend? I will be travelling with 2 children (10&6) and we usually wear flip flops on vacation but they have no grip :(

We don't travel with kids, but I would think the swim shoes would be good. As for myself, I wear old fisherman sandals whenever on the pool decks.