Formal Nights on NCL...give me the scoop!

bre

So is there any (formal) Formal nights on NCL? and if so, do most participate? How formal is it? One night or two nights? We are sailing on the Getaway in April, and my kids were a little disappointed, when I told them, that I didn't think there was a formal night. They really like getting all fancied up and having a nice dinner.

So is there any (formal) Formal nights on NCL? and if so, do most participate? How formal is it? One night or two nights? We are sailing on the Getaway in April, and my kids were a little disappointed, when I told them, that I didn't think there was a formal night. They really like getting all fancied up and having a nice dinner.

As far as I know, there are no official formal nights onboard. There are nights when you can have your photo taken with the Captain, so that might be a substitute for you and your family... and you can always dress for dinner.

There are no formal nights.

The closest thing is "Norwegian Night Out" and occasionally "Dress Up Or Not".

On a usual cruise there is a Norwegian Night Out and on longer cruises you may also get a Dress Up or Not.

As to how many people participate, I can't say I ever really notice, but many people certainly don't

Having said that, there is no reason why you shouldn't do so. Just pick the night that works best for you and go for it. Maybe go to one of the speciality restaurants for the meal.

If it is important to you that other people are dressed up then you may be disappointed, although you may find that more people are dressed up in the speciality restaurants (not guaranteed though).

NCL has Dress up or Not nights-it is your choice. You truly do see a little bit of everything and everyone is comfortable with that. If your children enjoy getting dressed up then by all means bring those fancy clothes and enjoy! That's the beauty of NCL...no pressure 😀

Great! Good to know..thank you. I myself, was actually looking forward, to less packing. It was my daughter, who brought up, that should couldn't wait until formal night, as she liked it, when we all got dressed up and fancied. Then I thought...ummm I don't think there is a formal night :confused: So I best check. Thanks!

Edited by bre

One more question :) So is there a dress code for the MDRs?

Their FAQ says:

When it comes to what to wear, you can go resort casual or get decked-out and look your best - it’s your call. That’s the freedom of Freestyle Cruising. We even have special “Dress-Up or Not Night.” It’s the perfect opportunity to get your portrait taken with your family, that special someone or even with the ship’s Captain. Dress cruise casual anytime during the day, in the buffet and in most specialty restaurants. For women, it includes summer and casual dresses, skirts, regular or capri pants, shorts, jeans and tops. Khakis, jeans, shorts and casual shirts are fine for men. Swimwear is acceptable at the buffet and outdoor restaurant, but a shirt or a cover-up and footwear are required. Cruise casual is also allowed day and night on embarkation day. Wear smart casual if you are eating dinner in the aft main dining room (our more formal dining room) and in Le Bistro on cruises longer than five days. For women, it includes slacks or jeans, dresses, skirts and tops. For men, it’s jeans or slacks with a collared shirt and closed-toed shoes. Traditional Bermuda shorts along with long socks, loafers and a blazer are all acceptable on a Bermuda cruise. We want you to be comfortable, but tank tops for men, flip flops, baseball caps, visors and jeans that are overly faded, with holes or tears and worn below the hips are not permitted in main dining rooms or specialty restaurants. Kids 12 and under are welcome to wear nice shorts in all our restaurants. You may want to pack a sweater too—air conditioning can be chilly. Since your suitcases are collected the night before we return home, don’t forget an overnight bag for prescriptions and need-to-have items.

No official formal night but there's no reason the kids can't get "fancied" up. I love that there's no formal night, but one night my sister and I did get "dressed up" for dinner on our Breakaway cruise just because we wanted to.

Yes to what everyone above said. Given that, kids and young adults these days often have a different opinion of what "really dressed up" means. A short dress with a little bling isn't the same as a long sparkle and tulle ball gown or something akin. You won't see many (but there will be a few) in tuxes, three piece suits, and long ball gowns. You will see a fair number in something very nice like you'd wear for a homecoming dance or to a nice wedding reception on the optional dress up night. But many don't treat it any differently than any other night they'd go to the MDR or specialty restaurant unless they want to look super-great for a photo with the Captain or fancy family photo.

I don't really notice which is even the dressier night, don't get my pic taken with the Captain and just pick a night I want to dress in my nicest dress (often when we do the nicest specialty restaurant). It's often a dress I wouldn't wear to work, but would wear to a semi-formal cocktail hour or wedding reception. Norwegians all just kind of do their own thing. :)

P.S. I always LOVE seeing people super dressed up, though! I just don't want the hassle myself.

Edited by weltek

Yes to what everyone above said. Given that, kids and young adults these days often have a different opinion of what "really dressed up" means. A short dress with a little bling isn't the same as a long sparkle and tulle ball gown or something akin. You won't see many (but there will be a few) in tuxes, three piece suits, and long ball gowns. You will see a fair number in something very nice like you'd wear for a homecoming dance or to a nice wedding reception on the optional dress up night.

Excellent clarification. and description as you are so correct. "dressed up" can mean many different things to different people.

We "dress" for supper every night..but we do not "dress up" every night.

Meaning I as a lady put on either a skirt and blouse, casual dress or dressy slacks and a blouse or nice sweater.

My husband wears either a nice sweater or a resort casual shirt. and a pair of slacks.

We do not Dress up in Suites and cocktail dresses and certainly not gowns and tuxes.

Most people on board are like us.

They Dress for dinner. but do not Dress up for dinner.

Many people stay in shorts and other casual wear for dinner. Especially if eating in the buffet or Osheehans and the less formal MDR

A FEW people dress up for dinner. And they typically go to a specialty restaurant

No one looks out of place unless they are OVER the top casual (short shorts or skirt and tank top or cover up like you wear around the pool)

Or Over the top Formal.

though the over the top formal typically is greeted with smiles and appreciation where as the over the top casual not so much.

as with everything and everyone there are exceptions (my way of staying the objections;):D )

As Keith Jenner said, sometimes cruises have Dress Up or Not nights, but not all. There was no such night on my Getaway or Epic cruises. Those had the Norwegians Night Out instead, where there was no mention of dressing up at all. Regardless, there are never any formal nights on NCL ships.

We just got back Sunday from our first cruise ever, the NCL Dawn. We dressed up almost every night, and felt very comfortable. We were not formal, but rather cocktail party style I guess. Husband wore either a suit or dress slacks with a vest, no tie each evening and I wore nice dresses. On NYE I wore a black sequin dress and lots of people were dressed up that night, including men in tuxes and women in gowns. There were also people in jeans and t shirts. I liked that you could dress as YOU wanted to, and not feel out of place. I loved getting decent pictures taken, and we never seen to have any, but now we do :)

• 1 year later...

So I'm booked on a hawaiian cruise in Dec 2018. From my reading there is no formal nights, so don't need to bring a ball gown but a short fancy dress would be nice to wear for pictures. The other nights can either wear dress, slacks, capris, or even jeans in the dining rooms. Tried to find this information on their website but couldn't find anything.

So I'm booked on a hawaiian cruise in Dec 2018. From my reading there is no formal nights, so don't need to bring a ball gown but a short fancy dress would be nice to wear for pictures. The other nights can either wear dress, slacks, capris, or even jeans in the dining rooms. Tried to find this information on their website but couldn't find anything.

The information is in the FAQ section under "What clothes should I pack".

https://www.ncl.com/faq#what-clothes-should---pack

I always bring very elegant pretty dresses just in case ....for private invites ..officersdinner or platinum parties or fancy dinners at Bistro or Modernos .Nothing too extravagant but definitely not gowns or over the top outfits ..something I would wear to fancy dinner or cocktail party

My casual clothes are also very elegant ..lace pants and jackets ...cruise clothes ..flowing pants nice tops

After being shlumpy all day in the sun ...I like to doll up ........for guys nice dress pants , dress shirts and tie is fine ...jacket if cool ...

Dress up as you wish ..crew does give appreciative glances and smiles

• 1 year later...

There is NO FORMAL night on Norwegian, you will have what is called Dress Up or Not night.  No theme nights, unless the ship has a White Hot Party, but I haven't seen mention of one lately (it could also be a Neon Party).  Nothing that you have to pack specifically for.

11 hours ago, Ira Lengel said:

We are on the 7 day Bemuda cruise in November,  Is there a Captains/formal night, are there theme nights,. How is the Oceanblue  seafood specialty restaurant.

On the Dawn doing the Bermuda cruise, the first sea day (Saturday) was the dress up or not night. There was an opportunity to meet the captain/crew and have pictures taken. I was impressed with the number of people that made an effort to look nice on that evening.