Carnival sunshine nightmare - need advice cruisers

dcs1989

Hello all,

I'm currently aboard the carniVal sunshine where things have taken a turn. I'm an avid cruiser and decided to take my dad and sister on a cruise aboard the sunshine. Me and my partner booked one room and I out my dad and sister next door and we had the balcony divider open. We are now on day 3 and upon waking up at 6am there was flooding outside our cabin and we placed a call. They r now moving my dad and sister to a new floor and while I understand issues happen but I am completely upset by us no longer being next door. They are being out on the opposite side of the ship and 2 floors up. We are not moving bcause they have no other rooms for us to go so we currently have fans sitting in our room. They are altering what I had planned months in advanced to have a family escape.

They are not able to give me any details and I came back to my door wide open, nobody around and fans sitting all over after coming back from port.

I'm in limbo sitting here with nobody able to tell us anything and honestly just want to leave and try a do over. Does anyone have any advise on how to handle this.

Take a big deep breath and assess the situation. It seems that they are working to fix the flooding problem and rehab your room. While your family has been moved they are still on the ship and really not that far away. Maybe they even got a better room. If you have questions head down to guest services on deck 3 and speak with one of the pursers and explain your concerns to them.

Remember that your vacation/cruise happiness cannot be ruined by flooding, people, or Carnival, but by your own response to the situation. Sometimes the most memorable moments on a trip are the times when things go awry and the crazy things that happen. Sit back, get a drink, and it'll all turn out ok. Keep us posted.

I would suggest you make the best of it. We had something similar happen on a cruise and we were actually moved to a downgraded cabin. We still had a fantastic cruise.

Chalk it up as stuff happens...

Smile you are doing better than me(I'm at work[emoji22])

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And now because of weather half moon cay was cancelled so guest services is out the door. I do not want my belongings left here wi tb my door wide open and nobody around monitoring. Guest services said there's nothing they can do.

And now because of weather half moon cay was cancelled so guest services is out the door. I do not want my belongings left here wi tb my door wide open and nobody around monitoring. Guest services said there's nothing they can do.

I'd shut the door and go to the bar for a while. I bet at a minimum you'll get some free drink coupons out of it.

This is my 10th cruise and I've never let weather, messed up orders or any other speed bump mess up my time. I'm just not understanding why my cabin keeps being left wide open with no staff in sight and stuck watching my room that's been rearranged with fans again every wall. Is there someone other than guest services to talk to? I have no problem with them fixing the room just move my stuff or leave someone here

A similar situation happened to us on our first cruise. They moved us to a sixth floor balcony toward the aft from an eighth floor midship due to a busted pipe in our room.

I van tell you...they more than made up for it. In so many ways, bottles of wine were offered, we declined, chocolate covered strawberries, $250 onboard credit, and...$25% off our next cruise.

Make the best of it...I'm with the other poster, its better than being at work.

I would ask them if they can have a security person guard your door if they must leave it open. They should be happy to oblige.

A cruise is what you make it, do not sweat the small stuff!!!

I would like to add that none of these things were asked for. They were offered.

Edited by maeormaenot

How was Nassau today, (I watched the Nassau web cam this morning and saw you arrive) I'm freezing my butt off here in NY, it was 12 degrees this morning, so I would trade places with you in a heart beat.

But kidding aside don't let it ruin your mood, stay happy, enjoy your family as best you can. Next year you will remember this and laugh (I hope):)

Nassau was unfortunately rainy and a little chilly at first but we made it a great day. Explored the shops, went to atlantis, stepped foot jn the water at cabbage beach to say we did, hit up margaritaville and senor frogs and had plenty of laughs and great pictures.

They didn't have another room for you which is understandable at least your father and sister is getting a room and at least its above where you are and not more below.

During winter months because of rougher and windier weather its common to miss that port happened to me a couple of times.

Just see if they give you shipboard credit and such, if not, when you come back write a letter to Carnival and they should do something for you, perhaps you won't have to ask and you see something on your shipboard account on the last day of the cruise or you get a coupon for discount future of something...just have fun, I rather be in your shoes and on a cruise than here at home lol. wink wink.

I would not be happy with my cabin door being open and my possessions being subject to theft by anyone walking by the open door. I challenge anyone on this board to do that for a few days on your next cruise if it's no big deal.

I might be quite insistent, and politely but firmly tell guest services to post a guard at the cabin door. I wouldn't take "it can't be done" as an answer. I understand that stuff happens, and a go with the flow attitude is necessary, but let's also be realistic. Either lock the darn door, or keep a watch on it by CCL Staff until the water abatement is finished.

If you have anything of value lock it in the safe. No one is going to take your clothes or your cosmetics. If you have huge items that you are worried about...pack a suitcase and have security lock it up somewhere. I think I would rather have my room dried than worry about some stuff, that realistically no one wants.

Missing a port due to weather is one thing, but suffering thru a flooded cabin is quite another.

IMHO Carnival has failed to provide you with basic habitable, secure quarters and owes you substantial compensation.

From what you have posted, seems you have done very little to find the proper Carnival representative (hotel manager perhaps) to get better information and discuss appropriate compensation. That's on you. Not sure what advice you need from us - take ownership and represent yourself.

Nevertheless, do your best to salvage the remainder of your cruise.

Edited by lizardhowson

Nassau was unfortunately rainy and a little chilly at first but we made it a great day. Explored the shops, went to atlantis, stepped foot jn the water at cabbage beach to say we did, hit up margaritaville and senor frogs and had plenty of laughs and great pictures.

We were there at Senor Frogs mid Dec, we had a blast! ;)

If you have anything of value lock it in the safe. No one is going to take your clothes or your cosmetics. If you have huge items that you are worried about...pack a suitcase and have security lock it up somewhere. I think I would rather have my room dried than worry about some stuff, that realistically no one wants.

It's not only theft, what about kids playing, vandals destroying stuff, getting unwanted presents. Sure lock up the valuables, but if it's not a big deal, than you leave your cabin or hotel door open while you're out exploring.

There's a lock on the door for a reason and it's the seller's responsibility to give its guests safe habitation. I want peace of mind while I'm on vacation, even if I'm zip lining or sky diving, I needn't have to worry about an unlocked, and open to anyone cabin or hotel room.

Carnival is failing this guest by not providing that basic service.

Close the door to secure your belongings and go to guest services and stand there until they get you the hotel director. They aren't communicating with you properly. No way I'd blow this off.

Exactly.

OP, your dad & sister being moved is kind of unfortunate, but to leave your cabin door open is just plain crazy. If I was monkeying around with this kind of thing on my vaca, I'd be pretty upset.

Good luck and sorry to hear this happened.

I'd have to say I for one would be uber unhappy if I came back to my cabin door open...I've seen room stewards leave rooms open and go down the hall to their supply closets. Anyone who thinks it not a big deal is wrong. My things are in there, they may not be much but they are mine.

Take a big deep breath and assess the situation. It seems that they are working to fix the flooding problem and rehab your room. While your family has been moved they are still on the ship and really not that far away. Maybe they even got a better room. If you have questions head down to guest services on deck 3 and speak with one of the pursers and explain your concerns to them.

Remember that your vacation/cruise happiness cannot be ruined by flooding, people, or Carnival, but by your own response to the situation. Sometimes the most memorable moments on a trip are the times when things go awry and the crazy things that happen. Sit back, get a drink, and it'll all turn out ok. Keep us posted.

Excellent post!

I would not be happy with my cabin door being open and my possessions being subject to theft by anyone walking by the open door. I challenge anyone on this board to do that for a few days on your next cruise if it's no big deal.

I might be quite insistent, and politely but firmly tell guest services to post a guard at the cabin door. I wouldn't take "it can't be done" as an answer. I understand that stuff happens, and a go with the flow attitude is necessary, but let's also be realistic. Either lock the darn door, or keep a watch on it by CCL Staff until the water abatement is finished.

I'd also be very unhappy if my cabin door was left open with nobody guarding it.

I would have no issue because the only important things I not want to loose are cash, jewelry, camera, iPad, cell phone and my passport and drivers license, if I don't have any of these on me they are always locked in the safe.

Nobody is going to take my clothes, cosmetics, shoes, dirty clothes lol but there is another solution, bring your items to your fathers and sisters cabin if that gives you more of a peace of mind or simply tell the hotel director your door will remain closed and locked, its your cabin you have that right, you set the rules.