Scared to cruise

Scaredcrazy

This is true, but usually robberies happen for excursions that take place on a bus - on land. I've never heard of, for example, a snorkel or sailing excursion being robbed. First off, most people don't bring much money to snorkel or sail and secondly, no one wears jewelry to snorkel and hopefully not to sail either. So what would be the point of robbing an excursion boat?

Now you are scaring me into taking water excursions. lol

Thank you everyone for responding.. Iv also been doing some you tube as suggested by a cruise associate, which does show ports and how the environment is, however in all the videos I watched I hardley saw any children on the pier which also makes me wonder as well.

You seem to be new to Cruise Critic. Feel free to read and read and read for more answers to your questions.

You will see that posters here freely divulge which cruise line, ship, time of year, number in party, age of children for their situation.

None of the above information makes you or your children identifiable in any way. However, withholding details can result in inaccurate and unhelpful replies.

Stay away from Mexico, Bahamas,. Go to library and online for Caribbean Ports books. Fodors, Frommers, Lonely Planet and DK Eyewitness Guides. Never carry more cash than you can afford to lose. Wear money belt under clothes(although I do find Caribbean has fewer pick pockets than Europe). No flashy jewelry on shore. Wear a cheap watch too.

Thank you everyone for responding.. Iv also been doing some you tube as suggested by a cruise associate, which does show ports and how the environment is, however in all the videos I watched I hardley saw any children on the pier which also makes me wonder as well.

The children on the cruise are not likely being left on board while their parents explore the island of the port of call. You are way over thinking this. You and your family will be fine.

Thank you everyone again. And yes I'm probably over thinking things. I have been in a cruise 10 yrs ago and loved it. And thought it would b a great family experience. But as a mom u do question everything when it comes to your children. I'm definitely going , but will use caution in choosing what things I choose to do on the Island.

I'm New to this and just looking to hear from other families. I'm not sure I wish to diclose any actual info about my children. Does it matter if they r teenagers or toddlers.

See my first post #12. I honestly think your being overly paranoid. Thousands of families cruise every year without experiencing any of the concerns you've expressed. But if you are genuinely that concerned then my advice is don't cruise as you are likely to worry all the fun out of it, which would be a shame - and a waste of money.

BTW, where do you go for vacations now with your children that you don't have those fears?

Edited by leaveitallbehind

You tube Carnival, NCL and RCCL not HAL and Oceana and you will see lots of kids on the pier.

There are a whole bunch of cruise reviews on here by Mitsugirly. She and her husband have been taking their little daughter (and often her adult daughter and grandson) on cruises for years and her daughter is now 6. Here is one of Mitsugirly's reviews so you can see some examples of what families with kids do on these cruises:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2130767

If you look at the bottom of Mitsugirly's posts, she lists the ports of call and what they did at each and if you click on these, they link to other reviews with photos and a full explanation of what they did and how and what she thought of the excursion. Not a single robbery or kidnap attempt through many, many cruises and it can't be because her daughter is not adorable! It's because cruising is relatively safe and Mitsugirly and her husband take normal precautions. Mitsugirly and her family are just normal cruisers.

People who haven't traveled much can be afraid of the unknown. It is natural. There will be some culture shock for sure. You will probably overcome that fear and reach a comfort zone. Don't dwell on the bad things that can happen as they are not likely to happen.

I hope you have a great vacation.

People who haven't traveled much can be afraid of the unknown. It is natural. There will be some culture shock for sure. You will probably overcome that fear and reach a comfort zone. Don't dwell on the bad things that can happen as they are not likely to happen.

I hope you have a great vacation.

Nicely said! :cool::cool:

Thank you everyone again. And yes I'm probably over thinking things. I have been in a cruise 10 yrs ago and loved it. And thought it would b a great family experience. But as a mom u do question everything when it comes to your children. I'm definitely going , but will use caution in choosing what things I choose to do on the Island.

Hopefully this means you have begun to relax a little. :)

Decide what the rules will be, and if the children will be joining in the kid's club onboard.

Discuss the cruise with your children so they will know what to expect.

There are many cruising families represented on CC. If the age of your children is asked it would only be to help you with what will be available for your children to do while on the cruise. The only thing anyone here knows about you is that you are "Scaredcrazy". :)

Oh, and from New Jersey.

Edited by SPacificbound

You are way overthinking this situation. Your biggest concern is that your children wander off and you can't find them for a couple of minutes. For the most part crime against cruise passengers when ashore is non existent. If the ports could not control crime against passengers the ships would simply go somewhere else.

Stay in the tourist areas and you will be as safe as you are in your home town.

Your biggest risk, and it is tiny is that a vehicle that you are in for an excursion has an accident.

The best advice I can give you is stop looking at videos and thinking you are going to get a valid picture of what an area looks like. The videos are inaccurate, especially when children are involved. Most photographers avoid including children in any photos that they post on line because of privacy issues.

I'm New to this and just looking to hear from other families. I'm not sure I wish to diclose any actual info about my children. Does it matter if they r teenagers or toddlers.

Yes it does. This is a difference between traveling with infants, toddlers or teens.

However, if you feel that disclosing the ages of your kids subjects them to possible harm or invades your personal privacy, there is no need to answer the question.

DON