Princess Beverage Package Pricing

When I booked our Diamond Princess cruise we got on board and booked a Beverage Package which we paid $59 per day per person. We recently booked the 35 day Hawaii/Tahiti Cruise for August 2017 on the Golden and I logged on to check the package prices (not for the All Inclusive that would be too much over 35 days). It shows the All Inclusive for $79.64, the Soda and More Package for $10.87 per day and the coffee card for $48.13. This is a huge leap in pricing.

So I logged out and checked just the general pricing, this came up with the All Inclusive Package Australia (in AUD) at $59, the Unlimited Soda and More at $8.05 (doesn't mention AUD) and the coffee card at $36 AUD.

So I did a calculation on the Soda and More and that price does seem to indicate the $8.05 is USD and therefore the $10.87 is AUD, but that does not explain the other pricing.

Why $59AUD on their site, but in my cruise planner $79.54 for the All Inclusive. As for the coffee card their site at $36AUD does not explain the leap to $48.13 on my cruise planner.

Does anyone have an idea what could possibly be wrong - is this an indication that prices will be rising to match the US dollar.

Princess website does some weird things to the package pricing.

Check that your cruise has onboard currency in AUD. If so, buy the package onboard. If not, it may work out cheaper to buy the package online, or to buy OBC to buy the package onboard.

Recommend you buy on board at the website prices of $59 for AIBP and $36 for Coffee Card. Note these prices are inclusive of gratuity onboard.

Have no idea why the personaliser is different but it could be due to the gratuity and exchange rate being automatically included :confused: who knows!!!

Thanks everyone. I thought much the same, the website most likely isn't keeping on top of the Aussie based ship pricing and that I will wait and buy on board. Wonder what happens to people who buy ahead and pay the higher prices.

Not sure what is going on with the website.

But it may possibly the conversion rates being applied, $59 here in Australia using AUD . This Cruise leaving Australia is in USD and therefore your $59 AUD becomes $79.54 AUD as it has the conversion and the gratuity added.

Not sure if that is what is actually going on though.

I was on Dawn Princess in November and bought the package on board and it was AUD$59/day.

I quizzed Princess before we left and they told me not to worry about the internet price, it would be billed against my on-board account at $59/day if I chose to buy before we go.

Not sure what is going on with the website.

But it may possibly the conversion rates being applied, $59 here in Australia using AUD . This Cruise leaving Australia is in USD and therefore your $59 AUD becomes $79.54 AUD as it has the conversion and the gratuity added.

Not sure if that is what is actually going on though.

Actually it's a Sydney to Sydney cruise (even though it is going to Hawaii/Tahiti), not a Trans Pacific, and everything is in AUD and my cruise personaliser advises this cruise is in AUD. However because the Golden is being repositioned down here full time in 2017, maybe their systems are still converting to USD.

Actually it's a Sydney to Sydney cruise (even though it is going to Hawaii/Tahiti), not a Trans Pacific, and everything is in AUD and my cruise personaliser advises this cruise is in AUD. However because the Golden is being repositioned down here full time in 2017, maybe their systems are still converting to USD.

Okay, really not sure what is happening then, I thought with Hawaii in the mix it may be reverting to USD but anyway, the system seems to be glitching for you.:(

Hi - you've probably already worked it out, but just in case..

The cruise is in AUD, and your cruise personalizer is quoting you in AUD accordingly (ie your credit card will be charged that amount in AUD). The general princess website is in US$, so if you are logging out in going into the general site - ie cruise gifts and service, all prices shown are quoted in US$ even the prices listed for Australian cruises. If you use this method and quote the number, your credit card will be charged in US$ so be mindful of the covervsion rate plus any international conversion charges your financial institutions will add on.

If you feel it's cheaper to take the US$ option allowing for all additional charges, go for it :D. Also note, I believe they're may be a gratuity built into one and not the other (ie the AUD$ for to/from AUS may include the gratuity). I've noted on my overseas cruises that gratuity is added to the drinks package if purchased on board (you could ask to remove it I guess), but not added when purchased in US$ in advance.

Here's a bit of a pointer we found on our last cruise (not to/from Aus). 10 lots of AUD$110 on board credit purchased in advance on the cruise personalizer (ie-AUD$1100), princess gave $1000 on board credit US$ on your on board ship account. Bargain given current exchange rates.

Here's a bit of a pointer we found on our last cruise (not to/from Aus). 10 lots of AUD$110 on board credit purchased in advance on the cruise personalizer (ie-AUD$1100), princess gave $1000 on board credit US$ on your on board ship account. Bargain given current exchange rates.

The rate has now changed to AU $125 for US $100, however what rate you see seems to depend on when you booked your cruise. I'm still seeing AU $110 for our next cruise which I booked last September, but other people are reporting they aren't so lucky and are getting the AU $125 rate. Mind you, it's still a bargain as at today's exchange rate it would cost AU $142.97.

The rate has now changed to AU $125 for US $100, however what rate you see seems to depend on when you booked your cruise. I'm still seeing AU $110 for our next cruise which I booked last September, but other people are reporting they aren't so lucky and are getting the AU $125 rate. Mind you, it's still a bargain as at today's exchange rate it would cost AU $142.97.

Yep Yep Yep...:)

, so if you are logging out in going into the general site - ie cruise gifts and service, all prices shown are quoted in US$ even the prices listed for Australian cruises.

I take back this point - I've noticed what you are probably seeing (item 2419) as an additional AUD listed pricing on the general web site.

I just spoke to a mate who said they've noticed this and paid the $59p/day in AUD for the package on their last cruise in the Caribbean. Gratuity was not added as purchased in advance.....Good spotting

Hey all, I know this doesnt fall into package prices directly... but you all would know the answer.

Can I buy the beverage package half way through the cruise? I dont see that i would get my moneys worth during our port days... but would probably get value on the last 3 days (all at sea).

Is it an all or nothing deal?

Hey all, I know this doesnt fall into package prices directly... but you all would know the answer.

Can I buy the beverage package half way through the cruise? I dont see that i would get my moneys worth during our port days... but would probably get value on the last 3 days (all at sea).

All or nothing deal I am afraid

I am booked on Golden Princess later this year and noticed the same thing $74 on cruise personalised and $59 on Princess website.

I telephoned Princess a few days ago and advised them of the $15 difference. The person said that they can not fix the cruise personaliser but apparently the price is $59 and if you happen to purchase it at $74 you will be reimbursed the $15 difference as on board credit.

Kim

Yeah, as MargoK said - it's all or nothing. If you purchase a few days in, it will still be charged for the full cruise....however, one of my travel compagnons did this I think 2 days into the 14 day cruise we just got off and although they charged the drinks package from day one of the cruise, they re-embursed as a credit any drinks already purchased on her account.

I am booked on Golden Princess later this year and noticed the same thing $74 on cruise personalised and $59 on Princess website.

I telephoned Princess a few days ago and advised them of the $15 difference. The person said that they can not fix the cruise personaliser but apparently the price is $59 and if you happen to purchase it at $74 you will be reimbursed the $15 difference as on board credit.

Kim

Thanks Oriana1, this clarifies my question and what I thought might have been the situation. I think I will wait until I am on board rather than risk paying the higher price and it not being reimbursed and having to chase it up. You would think in this day and age that they could get their cruise personaliser reflecting the correct prices for AUD voyages.

Elise

Thanks Oriana1, this clarifies my question and what I thought might have been the situation. I think I will wait until I am on board rather than risk paying the higher price and it not being reimbursed and having to chase it up. You would think in this day and age that they could get their cruise personaliser reflecting the correct prices for AUD voyages.

Elise

Hi Elise,

I thought the same thing to purchase on board. I would not want to risk it that Princess actually paid you back the credit.

Personally, I am now thinking of just getting the soda and more package which is about $8.00 per day. The reason being is that you can take on a bottle of wine each at embarkation. Then my cruise is around New Zealand so you can bring on another bottle each at each port of call (to have in your cabin or take a glass up on deck). They have a happy hour in the afternoon, two for the price of one. Just that I would not be able to drink $50 a day extra in alcohol.

Kim

Hi Elise,

I thought the same thing to purchase on board. I would not want to risk it that Princess actually paid you back the credit.

Personally, I am now thinking of just getting the soda and more package which is about $8.00 per day. The reason being is that you can take on a bottle of wine each at embarkation. Then my cruise is around New Zealand so you can bring on another bottle each at each port of call (to have in your cabin or take a glass up on deck). They have a happy hour in the afternoon, two for the price of one. Just that I would not be able to drink $50 a day extra in alcohol.

Kim

Not sure that you can bring on a bottle in each Port of Call.

Kim

Sometimes you can bring alcohol on at ports of call and sometimes you can't. It depends on what ruling the Hotel Director has put in place. I suggest checking with the Security personnel when you disembark at the first port.

Our experience of Princess over Christmas New Year was that you could only bring wine on when embarking initially. If you had bought wine in New Zealand, for example as a souvenir, it would have been taken by security and held for you until the voyage ended. Bags were xrayed when boarding at each port. At embarkation the X-ray picked up our wine and we were directed to a table to declare it. There were no problems but you might like to check the rules and be aware they are enforced :)