upsell offer through TA?

baz48

We have booked our cruise through a large warehouse store that also has a travel agency (can't say the name apparently). I'm wondering if anyone has experience with an upsell offer coming to them through one of these large agencies? Or does the email from Princess just get lost in the shuffle since you don't have one particular agent, but anyone from the agency can help with your booking?

Upsell offers are sent to TAs by Princess

I understand that the TA gets the offer first. I'm wondering if this large travel agency will then pass the offer along to us, or will it get lost in their office. Anyone have any experience getting the upsell offers through this large travel agency?

If you want an absolute guarantee you will have control over your booking you need to book it directly with the cruise line. How will you even know if your TA was notified of an upsell offer if they don't tell you?

Or book with someone you know/trust.

Or book with someone you know/trust.
Exactly. I avoid big box/online TAs because your agent is almost always the "flavor of the month" and there can be a communication breakdown. I've experienced that in the past. Now I use a small, high-volume agency that is on top of everything.

I understand that the TA gets the offer first. I'm wondering if this large travel agency will then pass the offer along to us, or will it get lost in their office. Anyone have any experience getting the upsell offers through this large travel agency?

If I'm correct in guessing the TA you booked through, then you got about an 8% of the booking fare in OBC. Upsells are pretty iffy. The cruise line may or may not offer upsells. The cruise line may or may not offer the upsells it does offer to you. You may or may not like the upsell offered. If the cruise line offers it through your TA, the TA has an incentive (more commission) to get the offer to you. All in all, I'd worry more about how to spend the sure thing OBC than I would worry about not getting the upsell that may or may not be offered or that you may or may not take.

Actually, the best thing for you to do is to follow Pam's advice and find a small TA that offers discounts. You'll get personal service and won't have to worry whether they will forward offers and you'll get a better discount (8% is OK, but you should do better.)

Edited by RocketMan275

I usually book my cruises through a TA, sometimes big box, sometimes others ... and less often, directly through the cruiseline.

I booked with a big box TA and did not receive an upsell but an upgrade offer the day before the cruise...directly through the cruiseline and not through my TA. I didn't think this happened per protocol so was very apprehensive (the call came in before 7 AM) but I accepted and when I checked online, sure enough, he moved me over to the upgraded room.

I take it this is not normal practice but it did happen to me last year. Nice upgrade by the way!

I booked with a big box TA and did not receive an upsell but an upgrade offer the day before the cruise...directly through the cruiseline and not through my TA. I didn't think this happened per protocol so was very apprehensive (the call came in before 7 AM) but I accepted and when I checked online, sure enough, he moved me over to the upgraded room.

I take it this is not normal practice but it did happen to me last year. Nice upgrade by the way!

Nice! Hope I will be as lucky!!

I agree that many travel agents may "miss" an upsell for one reason or another. And these upsells can disappear as quickly as they appear. That's when your roll call becomes invaluable. Someone on your roll call gets the upsell offer. He puts it on CC. You read it, like it, and YOU contact your TA about the upsell. That's why when I used to use a TA I read my roll call a few times a day. Now I mostly book directly with the cruise line. Unless there's a fabulous offer, I become my own TA.

Whether you use a small TA or a larger one, there is a delay in receiving the upsell offer from a cruise line as it goes to the TA first who must forward the email to you. And if the TA is gone for the day or traveling or on a different time zone or whatever, the delay can be hours.

I have received upsell offers on three of our last four cruises. Two of those were booked direct and in those cases I got the email immediately. One of the offers was a greatly reduced upsell price to full suite which I immediately took. The one that went through the TA, by the time I received the email from the TA, we had already left for the trip so unable to take advantage.

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

Thanks for all of the advice and experiences. Sounds like it's all a gamble no matter which way you book. I think I'll stick with C***** and monitor the roll call. The upfront OBC is worth it.

Thanks for all of the advice and experiences. Sounds like it's all a gamble no matter which way you book. I think I'll stick with C***** and monitor the roll call. The upfront OBC is worth it.

We used to book thru this agency,(their travel insurance was pretty reasonable) but when they switched to the OBC instead of a straight discount, it was way too much OBC, we get FCC, shareholders & etc. & since we book full suites. We much prefer just a discount off the price, usually around 11-12% off. Then it brings down the travel insurance, since it is based on the $ of the cruise.

Edited by Ronnieslady

Nice! Hope I will be as lucky!!

Well, it took well over 45 cruises to get this one upgrade.....so do consider ourselves lucky but not as some mention. I read that people get upgrades and upsells all the time .... not sure why it has taken us decades to get the one. Not really complaining, though....am just happy to be on the ship.

We got a fabulous upgrade on Celebrity last fall, not without a lot of working for it, but really nice, nevertheless. This one will keep me going for quite some time!

We have booked our cruise through a large warehouse store that also has a travel agency (can't say the name apparently). I'm wondering if anyone has experience with an upsell offer coming to them through one of these large agencies? Or does the email from Princess just get lost in the shuffle since you don't have one particular agent, but anyone from the agency can help with your booking?

Our TA has forwarded 2 upsells in the last few weeks (on 2 different trips) neither of which looked good enough for us to accept. There a large online TA which also has a store in Florida & does business with all the cruise lines.

I'm beginning to think that these upsells are just another sales pitch & aren't worth the extra dollars.

As far as upgrades are concerned, we've accepted 1 over the years & also booked a few guarantees none of worked out to our satisfaction. The locations all had something of a drawback - either noisy, AC problems of location on the ship. I believe Princess is well aware of past complaints with those cabins & holds back assigning them unless needed. We choose to book for a cabin we want & not take pot luck any longer.