Cruise crisis cliche. Help.

Mpls35

My family and I are in Tampa ready to go on our cruise tomorrow on the Star when my husband discovers he left his passport at home (in Mpls). Neighbors are racing to fed ex to overnight it. What are the chances we are good to go tomorrow? If he has to meet us in Cozumel- is that possible? Anything we are missing? We called NCL and they said we are out of luck w/o a passport. He left it on the printer where he was diligently making copies this morning. I'm just sick about it.

Does FedEx deliver on Sunday? If not, have you considered a courier or delta dash? Yes, expensive; but less than a plane ticket last minute to Cozumel. Or, possibly cheaper for him to fly home and get it and then fly back? Round trip flight? Just thoughts.

Edited by sc2011

Good luck; there but .......

Get it taken to the airport and see what can be done tonight or in the morning. Presumably you have till the middle of the afternoon to get it.

Looking at "Google" and "Minneapolis-Tampa Flights" your best bet is Delta.

Mike

I don't have advice, but I have an anecdote. A few years ago my best friend and I were leaving on a cruise from NY. He lived in CA. The day before he realized he left his passport at home. He had a friend break into his apartment and send it overnight. It reached us in time (delivered to my house in NJ). Don't remember the service used. So it is/was possible. Sending positive energy!

My family and I are in Tampa ready to go on our cruise tomorrow on the Star when my husband discovers he left his passport at home (in Mpls). Neighbors are racing to fed ex to overnight it. What are the chances we are good to go tomorrow? If he has to meet us in Cozumel- is that possible? Anything we are missing? We called NCL and they said we are out of luck w/o a passport. He left it on the printer where he was diligently making copies this morning. I'm just sick about it.

Is it a closed loop cruise? does he have a drivers license? I found this online unless things have changed:

US Citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end in the same U.S. port) and travel to destinations in Mexico, Canada, the Caribbean, the Bahamas, and Bermuda are able to re-enter the United States with proof of citizenship other than a passport or passport card.

Is it a closed loop cruise? does he have a drivers license? I found this online unless things have changed:

US Citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end in the same U.S. port) and travel to destinations in Mexico, Canada, the Caribbean, the Bahamas, and Bermuda are able to re-enter the United States with proof of citizenship other than a passport or passport card.

There are two central American stops (Belize and Roatan, Honduras) on this Star cruise so I think a passport is required.

That is a statement by USA Authorities who cannot guarantee what the authorities in those countries may or may not do at their border. It has been known for some countries to ask for passports when re-boarding and to get a little 'itchy' when only the ship card and driving licence are produced and that has been in countries visited on "closed loop cruises".

The other point is how would you get home, if you miss the boat or are med-evaced in a foreign country, without a passport.

Mike

A driver's license is not proof of citizenship. On a closed loop cruise (with ports in the specified countries/areas), if you don't have your passport, per NCL's web site you need a government issued photo ID [e.g., a driver's license] AND proof of citizenship:

Proof of Citizenship examples include:

State certified U.S. birth certificate

Original certificate of U.S. naturalization

Original certificate of U.S. citizenship

U.S. Consular report of your birth abroad

https://www.ncl.com/about/required-travel-documentation

(I rather doubt the OP's husband has one of those documents with him.)

OP: I hope your DH is able to get his passport on time, and that you have a wonderful vacation!

Edited by Turtles06

Contact Delta Dash through Delta Cargo. They can probably make this happen and for a small package it's pretty reasonably priced. FedEx, DHL and UPS all also offer same day service. You will need to call them directly. Or pay for a friend to fly down and back home the same day. It would still likely be cheaper than a last minute ticket to Cozumel.

That is a statement by USA Authorities who cannot guarantee what the authorities in those countries may or may not do at their border. It has been known for some countries to ask for passports when re-boarding and to get a little 'itchy' when only the ship card and driving licence are produced and that has been in countries visited on "closed loop cruises".

The other point is how would you get home, if you miss the boat or are med-evaced in a foreign country, without a passport.

Mike

I never travel without one Mike. If I was in Tampa and cruising tomorrow in a tight spot instead of missing the boat I might risk it and not get off at the ports and just enjoy the rest of my cruise with my family.

A driver's license is not proof of citizenship. On a closed loop cruise (with ports in the specified countries/areas), if you don't have your passport, per NCL's web site you need a government issued photo ID [e.g., a driver's license] AND proof of citizenship:

https://www.ncl.com/about/required-travel-documentation

(I rather doubt the OP's husband has one of those documents with him.)

OP: I hope your DH is able to get his passport on time, and that you have a wonderful vacation!

If he has a birth certificate at home someone can fax it to him ( it may need to have the seal) I wonder if they would take that with a drivers license.

OP let us know how it works out. I hope you guys have a great cruise!

Edited by monkeybone

Closed loop cruise. However, We were told by NCL that we must have both drivers license AND either certified birth cert or passport. They were unapologetic- but I get it. Sadly DH and I are both lawyers and understand laws are there for a reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So neighbor got it on a delta courier flight! Arriving at 11 am but not available until 12 noon. I am telling DH he should go separately and my son and I will go to the port. Thoughts? Will we make it?

Who should I call tomorrow? Should son and I check in on the boat? I'm afraid DH won't get back in time if something goes wrong- our flight was delayed coming out for de-icing, albeit just 15 min. What happens if he shows up at the port at 2? Or 3? The ship sails at 4. Our checkin time was supposed to be 11. I know there is a law that says you have to be on board 2 hours prior.

Personally I would get to the port as soon as physically possible in the morning with your son and start talking to someone senior, very senior. The ship's Chief Security Officer should either be ashore or be available and I would keep pushing to see him/her. Explain the situation and hope you are understood.

Also keep in touch with your husband and have him inform you at every possible point in the proceedings. If the Chief Security Officer is happy have him give your husband a number that he can use to contact the CSO every time something happens.

Good luck and we hope all goes well.

Mike

So neighbor got it on a delta courier flight! Arriving at 11 am but not available until 12 noon. I am telling DH he should go separately and my son and I will go to the port. Thoughts? Will we make it?

Can he be at whatever office it is being delivered to so he can pick it up in person or is it being delivered to your hotel? If he has a cab ready and waiting...then presumably he should be able to get to the port by 1:00 pm.

Biting my nails for you...Happy sailing!!!!