How to "surprise" someone with a cruise! Suggestions?

Thank you, that's a great idea! I've realised now that it's a very late departure from Melbourne, with the first available boarding is 4pm.

MAYBE I'm thinking - find a nice bar somewhere for an afternoon drink, maybe a wine or a coffee somewhere with a close view of the port and ship, as it's a bit late for lunch.

Then after admiring the ship, head back to the car (parked somewhere along the beach / port), suggest he open the boot and that's where I can have the tickets and case with a big bow.

The long term parking is a few minutes drive away, so not too much trouble to move the car.

Thanks so much, I love the bow idea :)

Organise some friends to meet you for afternoon drinks, and you have a great excuse and it will keep him unsuspecting.

Thank you, that's a great idea! I've realised now that it's a very late departure from Melbourne, with the first available boarding is 4pm.

MAYBE I'm thinking - find a nice bar somewhere for an afternoon drink, maybe a wine or a coffee somewhere with a close view of the port and ship, as it's a bit late for lunch.

Then after admiring the ship, head back to the car (parked somewhere along the beach / port), suggest he open the boot and that's where I can have the tickets and case with a big bow.

The long term parking is a few minutes drive away, so not too much trouble to move the car.

Thanks so much, I love the bow idea :)

Does check-in start at 4pm or boarding? If it's boarding you probably want to check-in earlier than that so a long lazy lunch may be feasible, then spring the surprise about 2:30pm.

Also there have been mutterings of delays at Station Pier so that may be another good reason to head down there fairly early.

Does check-in start at 4pm or boarding? If it's boarding you probably want to check-in earlier than that so a long lazy lunch may be feasible, then spring the surprise about 2:30pm.

Also there have been mutterings of delays at Station Pier so that may be another good reason to head down there fairly early.

Or later as people will be wanting to get on asap, so give them a few hours head start and the queues will dwindle. The later you leave boarding the less suspect the husband will be as normally you would board around lunch time.:D

I arranged a surprise 7 day cruise from Singapore for our 25 wedding anniversary. My husband knew I was hesitant to cruise because of sea sickness but all our friends had cruised and loved it.

On the day if the party I worded up my three daughters that 'our' gift was in a gift bag and that when the speeches happened this was what they were to give him.

In the bag was a certificate from the travel agent congratulating is on 25 years and lots of pamphlets about the ship and the destinations.

That went all well and good and he seemed very surprised but after 3 days I said to him you didn't seem very excited. He answered .... 'Who am I going with because you hate cruises!'

Well I told him I was risking my safety to show him how much I loved him!

Anyway we are about to go on our 6th cruise and just celebrated our 35 wedding anniversary and I haven't regretted it one bit.

I arranged a surprise 7 day cruise from Singapore for our 25 wedding anniversary. My husband knew I was hesitant to cruise because of sea sickness but all our friends had cruised and loved it.

On the day if the party I worded up my three daughters that 'our' gift was in a gift bag and that when the speeches happened this was what they were to give him.

In the bag was a certificate from the travel agent congratulating is on 25 years and lots of pamphlets about the ship and the destinations.

That went all well and good and he seemed very surprised but after 3 days I said to him you didn't seem very excited. He answered .... 'Who am I going with because you hate cruises!'

Anyway we are about to go on our 6th cruise and just celebrated our 35 wedding anniversary and I haven't regretted it one bit.

Great story.:D

The first check in and luggage drop opens at 4.30pm. That's the first time slot - "first in best dressed" they've called it, and the last time slot is 8pm.

That's a great idea too thank you!

What if maybe - I do a scavenger hunt style? Have a clue lead us to one place, a clue to somewhere else etc. We can do this throughout the afternoon and then the last stop could be Port Melboirne pier.

Thank you for the heads up of delays, I'll try to maybe aim for 2.30/3.00pm to be there. Thank you

Edited by LuckiePuris

Aww I love that surprise!! Such a thoughtful gift :)

What if maybe - I do a scavenger hunt style? Have a clue lead us to one place, a clue to somewhere else etc. We can do this throughout the afternoon and then the last stop could be Port Melboirne pier.

Could be fun ... but then what do you do with the suitcase? Going back to the car might be an anticlimax after a scavenger hunt.

Could be fun ... but then what do you do with the suitcase? Going back to the car might be an anticlimax after a scavenger hunt.

Good point but I think going back to the car is unavoidable, as I don't want to end the hunt in long term parking! I could end the hunt at the port maybe overlooking the ship? With all the excitement I think he won't mind getting back to the car and moving it into long term parking just around the corner.

Good point but I think going back to the car is unavoidable, as I don't want to end the hunt in long term parking! I could end the hunt at the port maybe overlooking the ship? With all the excitement I think he won't mind getting back to the car and moving it into long term parking just around the corner.

If you are going with the idea of lunch with friends and you end up at the port, if you have a spare car key you could arrange with one of your friends to park the car in the long term carpark and text you the parking bay number.

I just checked out Pier Hotel http://pierportmelbourne.com.au/ certainly changed a lot since my wife's family had it in the 70's :), right opposite Station Pier. I know you are foodies so it may not be upmarket enough!

Hope you can keep this secret and surprise him.

If you are going with the idea of lunch with friends and you end up at the port, if you have a spare car key you could arrange with one of your friends to park the car in the long term carpark and text you the parking bay number.

I just checked out Pier Hotel http://pierportmelbourne.com.au/ certainly changed a lot since my wife's family had it in the 70's :), right opposite Station Pier. I know you are foodies so it may not be upmarket enough!

Hope you can keep this secret and surprise him.

Thank you so much!! That's a great idea and thank you too for the hotel recommendation, I'll be sure to check it out!

I think it is a great idea, working at the opt I have seen several instances of surprises.... kids that think they are seeing grandma and grandpa off only to find out that they are going too... A surprise birthday gift where a wife told her husband they were flying into Sydney to spend the weekend.... as the taxi drove them into the city she told him to shut his eyes and not to open them till he stepped out of the car... There was one instance before Xmas where the grown up kids surprised mum at the wharf.... She was a bit panicked stricken as she was petrified about sailing..... Hmm guess that is why they didn't tell her lol

Have a fab time !!!!

I think it is a great idea, working at the opt I have seen several instances of surprises.... kids that think they are seeing grandma and grandpa off only to find out that they are going too... A surprise birthday gift where a wife told her husband they were flying into Sydney to spend the weekend.... as the taxi drove them into the city she told him to shut his eyes and not to open them till he stepped out of the car... There was one instance before Xmas where the grown up kids surprised mum at the wharf.... She was a bit panicked stricken as she was petrified about sailing..... Hmm guess that is why they didn't tell her lol

Have a fab time !!!!

Sounds similar to Mr Walker's situation last year, although I believe she loved it.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

Have a fab time !!!!

Aww I love those stories! Thanks for sharing :)

Other funny ones are where friends a cruising with other friends but haven't told them..... Funny seeing them ducking for cover while you are checking them in LOL.....

Another time mum and dad were trying to check in quickly as they had to claim the TRS for the engagement ring before their daughter and her boyfriend checked in. Their daughter didn't have a clue what was going to happen......... I think mum was excited enough for everyone lol

Other funny ones are where friends a cruising with other friends but haven't told them..... Funny seeing them ducking for cover while you are checking them in LOL.....

Another time mum and dad were trying to check in quickly as they had to claim the TRS for the engagement ring before their daughter and her boyfriend checked in. Their daughter didn't have a clue what was going to happen......... I think mum was excited enough for everyone lol

I imagine you would have plenty of interesting stories to tell about the various check-ins and such. Perhaps even some real eye openers.;)

Looking forward to hearing how it goes.

Yes, but we have to hang out until March to find out, also to see if she can keep a secret until then !!! :D

Will be sure to let you know how it goes!

As the ship is a late departure and check in doesn't start until 4pm, we have a heap of time on the day so am now planning a scavenger hunt style day out, ending at the port. Time to get planning what we'll see and do on the day!

• 5 weeks later...

Thank you all again for your help and suggestions. It's two and a half weeks and wanted to give you an update!

I've decided to go with a scavenger style day through Melbourne.

I have created clue cards to work our way through, that will take us to a cafe, a walk through some laneways, a visit to some tourist sights, lunch, and then end at Port Melbourne where the final clue will take us onboard.

Will aim to have a case packed the day before and secretly pop it in the car boot the night before.

Getting excited now to try this new style of P&O ship and despite the varying reviews, going with an open mind!