How to "surprise" someone with a cruise! Suggestions?

Hi guys,

So I've gone ahead and booked a P&O three night cruise for my partners birthday.

The cruise starts and ends in Melbourne which is handy as we don't need to book flights.

I'm after ideas on how to surprise my partner.

I was thinking I would pack a suitcase the night before and secretly load it in the car boot. On the day of the cruise, I'm thinking I suggest we go for a drive to Port Melbourne (where the ship is docked) for a fish & chip lunch on the beach - a lunch we've had twice before so he wouldn't think anything out of the ordinary.

Once there he'll know I'll be excited to see a cruise ship and take photos of it. And I thought here while looking at the ship I would reveal we are going onboard.

Do you mind if I ask thoughts?

Should I give him a "pack" that includes a P&O brochure, maybe some photos of Eden, and the tickets?

Thank you all! I love surprises but once I have something planned, I struggle to keep it to myself as I get excited and want to share the news with him.

Hi guys,

So I've gone ahead and booked a P&O three night cruise for my partners birthday...

I was thinking I would pack a suitcase the night before and secretly load it in the car boot...

I've also booked a cruise as a surprise for DW's birthday but in our case it's 7 nights on RCI out of Sydney.

I'm tossing up between A) packing her bag and only telling her when we get to Sydney (a 4 hour drive away) and B) telling her the night before so she can pack her own bag. If I pack her bag I might wrap her clothes in birthday paper!

I've also booked a cruise as a surprise for DW's birthday but in our case it's 7 nights on RCI out of Sydney.

I'm tossing up between A) packing her bag and only telling her when we get to Sydney (a 4 hour drive away) and B) telling her the night before so she can pack her own bag. If I pack her bag I might wrap her clothes in birthday paper!

I love the idea of wrapping her clothes! I'm sure she will love her birthday cruise!

My partner is very particular with picking his own clothes so think I'll pack enough clothes for a week so he has a buffer to pick and match lol.

Great idea, but where do you plan to leave the car?

Could you get friends to go on the "picnic" with you in their car?

I once surprised hubby for his 50th birthday a flight to canberra one of his favourite cities. I arranged the time off work for him with his boss, organised his brother to invite us to dinner the night we flew out. As his bro lives not far from the airport i didn't have to reveal the truth til I drove to the long term car park. The whole trip he was a grumpy old man!!!!! complained because I hadn't told him as he likes to be able to look forward to a trip and enjoys the anticipation. Only you know how your partner will react. I should have known better as we had been married 24 years at the time.

Great idea, but where do you plan to leave the car?

Could you get friends to go on the "picnic" with you in their car?

I once surprised hubby for his 50th birthday a flight to canberra one of his favourite cities. I arranged the time off work for him with his boss, organised his brother to invite us to dinner the night we flew out. As his bro lives not far from the airport i didn't have to reveal the truth til I drove to the long term car park. The whole trip he was a grumpy old man!!!!! complained because I hadn't told him as he likes to be able to look forward to a trip and enjoys the anticipation. Only you know how your partner will react. I should have known better as we had been married 24 years at the time.

We will need the car first thing when we arrive back in Melbourne as we go right to work that day! I've researched and there's long term parking nearby so hopefully should be able to leave the car there :)

That's such a nice thought for your husband. I'm the same as him - I like to look forward and build the excitement, read reviews, obsess over photos etc.

My partner on the other hand doesn't like to know much other than basics and prefers to be surprised by what the ship has to offer when he's onboard. So I think he'll like the surprise, especially the idea of having a lovely weekend to just relax and do nothing.

Because you are wanting to surprise a woman, I would definitely tell her, even if it is a couple of days before. There are things she might want to take that you would not think of or she might want to have her nails done or her hair cut (maybe coloured?). You could wrap up the cruise tickets in fancy paper and present it as a gift.:)

Several years ago we surprised our whole family with a cruise but we couldn't book it until they each organised time off work. At Christmas we gave them a small gift (stubby holders for the 3 guys and sarongs for the 4 girls). When they opened them a couple of faces fell slightly. I just said, "The real present's in the envelope". Inside each was a P&O postcard on which we had written "You are invited to join us on a cruise. BYO spending money and clothes" (to make it clear the cruise itself was a gift). We all had a wonderful time. :)

Hi guys,

So I've gone ahead and booked a P&O three night cruise for my partners birthday.

The cruise starts and ends in Melbourne which is handy as we don't need to book flights.

I'm after ideas on how to surprise my partner.

I was thinking I would pack a suitcase the night before and secretly load it in the car boot. On the day of the cruise, I'm thinking I suggest we go for a drive to Port Melbourne (where the ship is docked) for a fish & chip lunch on the beach - a lunch we've had twice before so he wouldn't think anything out of the ordinary.

Once there he'll know I'll be excited to see a cruise ship and take photos of it. And I thought here while looking at the ship I would reveal we are going onboard.

Do you mind if I ask thoughts?

Should I give him a "pack" that includes a P&O brochure, maybe some photos of Eden, and the tickets?

Thank you all! I love surprises but once I have something planned, I struggle to keep it to myself as I get excited and want to share the news with him.

I think the lunch is a great idea.

No way would I pack Mrs Gut's clothes a recipe for disaster, I'd pack all the wrong stuff.

For my husband's 60th birthday I secretly organized for him to go by himself on a 3 week freight ship around the South Pacific. I had no desire to sail on a small freighter, anything over 20,000 tons is more to my liking!! The ship only took 2 paying passengers.

Have to say it was great fun involving family, friends and neighbors in the planning stage. I gave the tickets to him on his birthday which was a fortnight before departure. This did give him time to sort out clothes, maps, books and things to take that he felt he would need and was able to research where he was going. I also think his anticipation was part the whole adventure and it worked well for us rather than a last minute gift.

By the way, my husband still talks fondly about his cruise and will tell anybody interested that " his wife sent him off on a banana boat" for his 60th much to the envy of others!!

However, you know your partner well and am sure you know what is best. I have to say I got a great deal of enjoyment in the planning and subterfuge involved. I do realize that your situation is different and for a weekend I'd probably just leave it as a surprise giving him the ticket at the port. You have thought thru well how it can work.

Best of luck

Might have been just a small deposit required at this stage. But surely in this day and age it's not uncommon to have separate finances? I could certainly be able to sneakily do it as my pay comes into my account!

I personally would be more anxious than happy if I was told I'm instantly getting on a cruiseship haha. But you know your partner, if you're confident you can ensure he makes no plans for that week, would be ok with your packing and would get a kick out of the spontaneity go for it!

I gave my mum her 60th cruise by mocking up cute little boarding passes and slotting them in her card. But toyed with the idea of leaving my inflatable Carnival ship in weird places around her house with clues attached haha.

168ev5x.jpg

Well we must be different.

I know I couldn't because Mrs agut looks after my accounts and billing and such and I suspect either of us would notice a few grand go missing out of any account.

Just wondered how they managed it.

Question??

How did you manage to pay for the cruise without DH or DW knowing.

It's called a special budget fund [emoji6] when I was in the military it was common to set one up where any additional allowances paid went into it rather than my normal account, surprising how much is in there now that I have retired [emoji1]

I booked a surprise cruise for my 17 year 10 month old grand daughter on her graduation from High School and pre Uni to do Veterinary Science. My wife is going too of course as guardian, but not me.

They leave on Diamond Princess to NZ, 12 days and return, Saturday week.

I only told her about it a couple of weeks ago, her first cruise, she will be addicted like the rest of us, maybe.

A cruise is a nice surprise gift for anybody. Anyone 'gifting' Uncle Les?

Edited by NSWP

Question??

How did you manage to pay for the cruise without DH or DW knowing.

It was only $700 for the two of us, my pay comes into my account first before it is transferred to our joint account.

I'm a travel agent so I have been able to book it all in at work and hide it :) For now!

Edited by LuckiePuris

Now the 3 week freight trip surprise, that would be a harder one to cover! :D

Yes, there was a lot of secret squirrel stuff in paying for the 3 weeks. I opened an account at a different bank to ours. At the time I was teaching Patchwork and Quilting and selling a few quilts so did have some discretionary money. Another way I funded it was when I was at the supermarket checkout and they ask if you want any cash I used to say yes and get $30 - $40 never the same amount each time, then trot off to the bank and deposit it. Most men empty their pocket of cash and just leave it lying around so I'd gather up any of the gold ones and then when I had enough banked them.

I used a neighbour opposite our house for any mail that was sent from the TA. When there was any she would walk down her drive and give me the thumbs as was watching from my house and would find an excuse to go collect it. The TA also got into the swing of it and wrote a note in the true Maxwell Smart style by telling me it would explode in 10 minutes of opening!!! Any phone calls to the TA were done at my cousins down the road.

I guess this all happened over a period of 3 months and as I said earlier it was a great deal of fun and the only person who didn't have a clue was my husband.

Thank you all for the suggestions and photos! I think I'll make a little pack to give him when we're there.

My partner's main reason for loving cruises is the restaurant variety, being able to dine & drink and not having to drive home, and also just being able to rest!

As the cruise is just a scenic cruise and doesn't stop at any ports, and is only three nights, I think he'll be excited by the idea of having the next few days to just relax and unwind, and not have to worry about a thing!

With previous cruises, I'm always on cruise critic so much as he prefers not to research the cruise etc, so I'm the one that does the researching, and searching of photos, reviews etc.

I've let him know that I do have a surprise for his birthday, I've asked if he wanted to know now (I'm busting and can't wait to tell him!) but he's said a firm no, he wants to wait and wants a surprise.

So I guess the waiting game continues!

I feel a little nervous going back to P&O as I feel that I have forgotten how things run. I feel like a first time cruiser! With RCI and Celebrity, you can prebook your specialty restaurants before you go.

I'm wanting to try two specialty restaurants on this cruise, so hoping I can get a reservation!

I would love to book a complete surprise cruise for my husband but he needs to pack medication which I would be unable to do so I would have to tell him eventually.

Could you have a sneaky chat to his GP about getting an extra presciption for his meds which you could fill without your husband knowing?

What about this? Tie a big bow on the suitcase with an envelope containing the cruise documents. When you stop the car, ask him to check the boot.

I guess then you'd have to shift the car to the long term carpark, it would be a bit strange parking in there initially.

I think it is a wonderful idea and which ever way you go (tell him the night before or on the day) would be great.

Personally, I would notice all the signs that my wife was leaving like preparing the house, clothes going missing, the excitement on her face to see if I am noticing anything, etc.

Perhaps have the ticket package prepared and if he asks, you can present him with it, if not, he gets it the next day with the bag of clothes.:D

I think it is a wonderful idea and which ever way you go (tell him the night before or on the day) would be great.

Personally, I would notice all the signs that my wife was leaving like preparing the house, clothes going missing, the excitement on her face to see if I am noticing anything, etc.

Perhaps have the ticket package prepared and if he asks, you can present him with it, if not, he gets it the next day with the bag of clothes.:D

Haha yes good points! The excitement in particular, and glances to see if he has caught on, that sounds like me!

That's a great idea thank you, I'll have the tickets ready as a back up just in case. Thank you!

Haha yes good points! The excitement in particular, and glances to see if he has caught on, that sounds like me!

That's a great idea thank you, I'll have the tickets ready as a back up just in case. Thank you!

Good luck but either way he will love it.:D

What about this? Tie a big bow on the suitcase with an envelope containing the cruise documents. When you stop the car, ask him to check the boot.

I guess then you'd have to shift the car to the long term carpark, it would be a bit strange parking in there initially.

Thank you, that's a great idea! I've realised now that it's a very late departure from Melbourne, with the first available boarding is 4pm.

MAYBE I'm thinking - find a nice bar somewhere for an afternoon drink, maybe a wine or a coffee somewhere with a close view of the port and ship, as it's a bit late for lunch.

Then after admiring the ship, head back to the car (parked somewhere along the beach / port), suggest he open the boot and that's where I can have the tickets and case with a big bow.

The long term parking is a few minutes drive away, so not too much trouble to move the car.

Thanks so much, I love the bow idea :)