Will there be Cabanas on Koningsdam?

Shepsue

I called Ship Services about this late last year. They " assumed" there would be lido cabanas as well. Does anyone have more current/accurate information about Lido Cabanas?

I'm looking on another website at the deck plans and it looks like there are lido cabanas on the port side. If I'm wrong I'm sure I'll be corrected. I won't have a problem admitting I'm wrong :D.

I'm looking on another website at the deck plans and it looks like there are lido cabanas on the port side. If I'm wrong I'm sure I'll be corrected. I won't have a problem admitting I'm wrong :D.

They do seem to be depicted there. But I have not heard anything official

I am one who is not happy to see cabanas because they are taking up valuable public space we all could use. I wish HAL would stop taking away the good space we all use.

Did you somehow not notice the entire extra deck at the lido pool that is being gained on Koningsdam?

I disagree with but can see the argument for Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam but if they're going to put the same (or about the same) number of cabanas on the lido pool area but give you a whole upper level that circles the pool area at the same time... IMO... give me a break :rolleyes:

I am one who is not happy to see cabanas because they are taking up valuable public space we all could use. I wish HAL would stop taking away the good space we all use.

I'm not a fan of the lido cabanas but as a shareholder I am a fan of Hal making money where they previously made nothing. There are still plenty of available spaces. Most Hal ships don't have Lido cabanas. The retreat cabanas do not take any valuable space.

Did you somehow not notice the entire extra deck at the lido pool that is being gained on Koningsdam?

I disagree with but can see the argument for Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam but if they're going to put the same (or about the same) number of cabanas on the lido pool area but give you a whole upper level that circles the pool area at the same time... IMO... give me a break :rolleyes:

Are you referring to the Panorama Deck? I'm not sure. We are shade lovers, not sun people. We like the shaded area on the Lido Deck and other covered areas.

Are you referring to the Panorama Deck? I'm not sure. We are shade lovers, not sun people. We like the shaded area on the Lido Deck and other covered areas.

The lido cabanas cover a space of maybe 100 feet (just guessing). There is no other place to sit on a big ship like that?

Thanks all! I had to call ship services about something else today so I asked again about cabanas. The party line is that any info on cabanas on the Koningsdam is not yet available. I'm going to go with my CC experts and "expect" both Lido and Retreat Cabanas:)

Thanks all! I had to call ship services about something else today so I asked again about cabanas. The party line is that any info on cabanas on the Koningsdam is not yet available. I'm going to go with my CC experts and "expect" both Lido and Retreat Cabanas:)

The ship will be sailing and they still won't know :D;). My PCC is a wonderful person but I know more about Hal ships than she does. I've learned a ton on CC and most of the info here is pretty accurate.

Yeah, about that ...

It is there but seating is vastly limited.

That is a shame. I hope there is at least some promenade seating with a view, that's near a doorway. Oh, and with room to park my scooter nearby inside. Can't get a scooter outdoors easily, and not to the promenade at all. :mad:

It's my favorite place to sit during the day, too.

I'm not a fan of the lido cabanas but as a shareholder I am a fan of Hal making money where they previously made nothing. There are still plenty of available spaces ... The retreat cabanas do not take any valuable space.

I agree with both Cruizer Bill and cruz chic on this one: "Tent City" does take up valuable space BUT it is a great revenue generator for HAL, and that is music to the ears of this Carnival Corp shareholder. So to all of you who rent space in Tent City, I say "Thank you!"

• 1 month later...

I called ship services today and they said there will only be Retreat Cabanas. I was able to reserve one in advance for the 20-day Christening Cruise and Viking Sagas trip, but they did not have a layout available and wouldn't let me put in a request for a specific one. The price for 20 days was $599.

I ended up talking to 2 different people about it and got somewhat conflicting information, so you might want to call ship services and ask specifically about any Lido cabanas. The deck plan makes it look like the ship will have some.

I called ship services today and they said there will only be Retreat Cabanas. I was able to reserve one in advance for the 20-day Christening Cruise and Viking Sagas trip, but they did not have a layout available and wouldn't let me put in a request for a specific one. The price for 20 days was $599.

I ended up talking to 2 different people about it and got somewhat conflicting information, so you might want to call ship services and ask specifically about any Lido cabanas. The deck plan makes it look like the ship will have some.

Thx for posting this info. That's the problem with Seattle, talk to two different people and get two different answers. Enjoy your cabana. They sure are lovely.

The deck plan shows what sure appears to be cabanas next to the Lido pool. I would be surprised if they did not put them on as they are a profit center. I'm sure that in addition to the fee for the cabanas HAL sees higher alcohol sales to those that rent them.

HAL needs to keep CCL and the shareholders happy with increased profits. Either they raise fares or find new sources of revenue to fill the gap. We paid about $700 for 7 night cruises on HAL back in the early 80's and see them advertised much lower than that now. Back then Champagne flowed freely and Caviar and Lobster was a regular occurrence. I'm sure that if the fares had kept up with inflation we'd still be seeing it. Just take a look at Crystal and Regent- pretty much like the "good old days" when HAL was truly a premium line. Most forget that teak loungers on deck used to be rented on most lines (I believe even then free on HAL).

As long as people want $299 cruises we will see more and more of the "inclusives" going away.

Edited by frankc98376

I can safely say you were (not surprisingly) given incorrect info.

So true ! As much as I enjoy cruising & specifically HAL, I too am upset that so much of the public areas are designed as "revenue production" venues. This is also the case with too many specialty restaurants and not enough general purpose lounges. Seems that cruise line management is intent on building ships for revenue first, passenger comfort/enjoyment last.

So true ! As much as I enjoy cruising & specifically HAL, I too am upset that so much of the public areas are designed as "revenue production" venues. This is also the case with too many specialty restaurants and not enough general purpose lounges. Seems that cruise line management is intent on building ships for revenue first, passenger comfort/enjoyment last.

The nerve of them trying to make money :D. As a shareholder I'm happy about that.