Will there be Cabanas on Koningsdam?

Shepsue

Retreat cabanas (no Lido Cabanas on K Dam, according to Ship's Services) are now available for booking through April 2017.

That's funny. I guess the cabanas on the 2nd level above the lido pool are imaginary. ;)

I just spoke to Ship Services and the only cabanas that they are aware of are on Panorama Deck. We are sailing November 13th on the 10 day. Cost of the cabana is $399.00 for the duration of the cruise. Open for use every day with limited hours.

We've never had a cabana. Could someone please elaborate on what to expect and is it worth the money. We are booked in a large inside cabin, due to the smoking issue on balconies. Any information would be very much appreciated.

That's funny. I guess the cabanas on the 2nd level above the lido pool are imaginary.
On the HAL website there appear to be cabanas on the Lido deck, but not on the Panorama or Sun Decks above the Lido deck.
It's possible (but IMO very unlikely) that there will not be Lido cabanas. When the original deck plans for the Eurodam came out they showed partitions for cabanas on both sides of the Lido pool, when actually they were only on the port side ... so the fact that we see the partitions indicated on the K'dam plans doesn't necessarily mean they are there! :D

I just spoke to Ship Services and the only cabanas that they are aware of are on Panorama Deck. We are sailing November 13th on the 10 day. Cost of the cabana is $399.00 for the duration of the cruise.

Clearly that's incorrect because the Retreat Cabanas are on deck 12, (Observation deck) just aft of the Crow's Nest. On the Eurodam and Nieuw A $399 for 10 days will get you a Retreat Cabana, while a Lido cabana would run $299.

... and is it worth the money.
That's always in the eye of the beholder. Many people love them, but for us it would be a huge waste of money because we rarely spend more than an 60 to 90 minutes anyplace on the ship except in a show or the MDR. Edited by jtl513

"Worth it".... Well, for our 21 day cruise on K Dam, it is $638, so $30.38 per day for the cabana. For some privacy and quiet, reserved, nice plush loungers, out of the sun (for the most part), great view, fruit, water and a couple of other food items, champagne (we have had as much as a bottle each day) and chocolate covered strawberries, two stewards waiting on us hand and foot....

As DW said after I told her it was booked, and the price, her reply was "best deal afloat".

Totally agree "worth it" is a totally personal, subjective opinion...only you can come to. I would agree with others who have suggested "worth it" be banned from Cruise Critic lingo.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Well, I just booked it for our 10 day cruise! Requested an aft facing cabana, so hopefully, we'll get one. DH said that for $399.00 for 10 days not having to search for a nice place to relax or fight for a chair it's a no brainer! Since so few cabanas are available, we knew that we needed to grab it now or lose out.

Now, we are really excited about this cruise on an amazing new ship. Thanks for your advice...appreciate your input.

I agree with both Cruizer Bill and cruz chic on this one: "Tent City" does take up valuable space BUT it is a great revenue generator for HAL, and that is music to the ears of this Carnival Corp shareholder. So to all of you who rent space in Tent City, I say "Thank you!"

You're welcome! :) We won't cruise without one anymore. I don't mind paying the cabana fee just to have reserved space and cabana beverage service. Hopefully, most HAL cruisers feel the same way about the "wasted" space cause I don't want these things to get overly booked. :D

The Koningsdam will have the worst passenger to space ratio in the HAL fleet. Add cabanas to the prime lido pool deck and I guarantee you that people will be squabbling over deck chairs on warm weather cruises.

The extra upper pool deck is good but keep in mind that there will be almost 700 more passengers on the Koningsdam as compared to a Vista class ship, and over a 1,000 more passengers than the R-class ship.

igraf

Did you somehow not notice the entire extra deck at the lido pool that is being gained on Koningsdam?

I disagree with but can see the argument for Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam but if they're going to put the same (or about the same) number of cabanas on the lido pool area but give you a whole upper level that circles the pool area at the same time... IMO... give me a break :rolleyes:

Edited by igraf

The extra upper pool deck is good but keep in mind that there will be almost 700 more passengers on the Koningsdam as compared to a Vista class ship, and over a 1,000 more passengers than the R-class ship.

igraf

Fair enough, but also keep in mind that the ship is wider and longer, you have that upper Lido deck above the pool, the upper level of decks around the aft pool as well. The entire aft sun deck area which has never really existed before, a bunch of loungers (at least depicted) between the dome cover and the sports court...

Not saying it's an even trade off, but it's definitely something that helps offset some of the difference

We are sailing November 13th...

...Well, I just booked it! Requested an aft facing cabana, so hopefully, we'll get one. DH said that for $399.00 for 10 days not having to search for a nice place to relax or fight for a chair it's a no brainer! Since so few cabanas are available, we knew that we needed to grab it now or lose out.

Also just booked one for the same cruise (Nov 13th) - we splashed out on

a corner cabana even though it's just the two of us; feel free to pop over

and say hello! :D

MARK

MARK

Will do, Mark! We're so excited about this cruise and this lovely new ship. We just thought the cabana would be the icing on the cake. This is going to be fabulous.....see you in November!!

Ingrid

MARK

I should mention that my husband, David, is also from Lancashire! Small world!

We are doing the maiden TA in October. We have booked retreat cabanas on everyone of our previous cruises. We love the peace and quiet of the Retreat area and the indulgent service. We have avoided ships that do not have these cabanas. Unless you have booked at least one day in these cabanas then you cannot really have an educated opinion on the value. Some way they take up valuable space, then how come you do not complain about the other enhanced services like the spa, the pinnacle or tamarind?

Some way they take up valuable space, then how come you do not complain about the other enhanced services like the spa, the pinnacle or tamarind?
Those are available to all 2100 passengers, not just the handful that reserve a cabana.

Edited by jtl513

Those are available to all 2200 passengers, not just the handful that reserve a cabana.

Like the pinnacle, spa and tamarind, the cabanas are also available to ALL passengers who want to spend a little extra for something special.

Like the pinnacle, spa and tamarind, the cabanas are also available to ALL passengers who want to spend a little extra for something special.
But not for the entire cruise. How would you feel if a relatively small group reserved the PG, spa, or Tamarind for the full cruise? Or the Crow's Nest? Or your favorite lounge? Or the promenade?

Edited by jtl513

But not for the entire cruise. How would you feel if a relatively small group reserved the PG, spa, or Tamarind for the full cruise? Or the Crow's Nest? Or your favorite lounge? Or the promenade?

You are over looking that there are plenty of day rentals. With a ship that is almost a thousand feet long and 12 stories high, don't you think it is a petty point to isolate the retreat area minuscule area as topic of criticism? Place it's placement is so obscure on the NA and Eurodam that the area really has no valuable re-purpose. I would challenge anyone to rent a cabana there for a day and say it isn't GREAT.

You are over looking that there are plenty of day rentals. With a ship that is almost a thousand feet long and 12 stories high, don't you think it is a petty point to isolate the retreat area minuscule area as topic of criticism? Place it's placement is so obscure on the NA and Eurodam that the area really has no valuable re-purpose. I would challenge anyone to rent a cabana there for a day and say it isn't GREAT.

I think people get upset about the lido cabanas. I wouldn't take one if it was free. The retreat cabana space is not really taking up any valuable real estate.

We are doing the maiden TA in October. We have booked retreat cabanas on everyone of our previous cruises. We love the peace and quiet of the Retreat area and the indulgent service. We have avoided ships that do not have these cabanas. Unless you have booked at least one day in these cabanas then you cannot really have an educated opinion on the value. Some way they take up valuable space, then how come you do not complain about the other enhanced services like the spa, the pinnacle or tamarind?

I agree with you. I would not, however, enjoy the cabanas on Lido deck. The ones on Eurodam seem so loud and not at all private. If you're a family with kids, then Lido cabanas would be a good fit. We also love the speciality restaurants, so no complaints from us!

• 3 weeks later...
On captain Alberts blog he answered someone's question and said the cabanas will be the same set up as on New Amsterdam, I do not know what this means but my help others

One thing that means is the cabanas aren't easily accessible to the disabled. :mad:

At least they weren't on the Nieuw Amsterdam, when I tried to take a look to see if I wanted to rent one.

On captain Alberts blog he answered someone's question and said the cabanas will be the same set up as on New Amsterdam, I do not know what this means but my help others

That was my question.

The way I phrased it was "Will cabanas on Koningsdam be in both the Lido Pool and Retreat areas like on Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam, or will there just be Retreat cabanas like the Vista class ships are getting"

His answer that they are getting the same arrangement as Nieuw Amsterdam, to me, means that there will be 2 spaces with cabanas.