Adjusting to time change?

familycruzer

• Sleeping in works great for me! You are on vacation!
  • Show up 3 days pre-cruise in the departing port? Then hit the local tourist attractions to maximize the sunlight to reset the body clock.

What time are you arriving?

Best thing to do is to stay hydrated and go to bed on Alaskan time. You can start adjusting your times a few days before you leave. You may have more problems with the extended day (use an eye mask for sleep) than time differences.

http://www.frommers.com/deals/airfare/how-to-beat-jet-lag-top-tips-from-experts

September ... so my day light hours are not that bad.

I am arriving at least 2 days early to try and adjust.

My worst morning will be my 7am arrival in Skagway.

Maybe switch how you look at it and think "I will adjust two hrs in the two days pre-cruise and be totally ready for the early day in Skagway" :)

If you adjust your sleep and eating pattern by 1 hr before you leave home you are good to go!

Edited by Alaskanb

I too am on the east coast & unlike you I have previously travelled west (preparing for my second AK cruise now) & I did not have any problems in AK (we arrived the day before & didn't do anything special) - Mine all occurred when we returned home. I get up at 4 a.m. for work! (I just suffered through.)

the time distance is 4 hours. I don't have any issues with changing time zones. But know people do, there are some good ideas on line that may help.

Have you had trouble in the past?

Never had more than one hour difference when I have traveled to Mexico.

unless you have a morning Skagway excursion planned... I think the worst is debarkation morning for those rushing to an early flight.

-what time do you need to be at airport?

-what time is walk off?

-what time does breakfast open?

-what time do I need to get up to pack?

-the real pain is you needing to adjust from Alaska time to Pacific! All the above times need to be adjusted one hour EARLIER!

So as I plan for my first cruise to Alaska I need to ask if anyone has advise on adjusting to the 3 hour time change. I am from the east coast and have never traveled west.

Three hours is not a hard adjustment. Just stay up as late as possible the first night and it should work out fine.

When You say three hours I assume that you are talking about to Seattle or Vancouver. Anchorage is 5 hours, not three.

You may find it interesting to "google" the history of Alaskan time zones. Our state is so large that at one point we actually had four time zones!

Time zones are so weird - I think all of China has one time zone.

------

To get over jet lag or to appreciate a 3-4 hour time difference, fly to Japan or China. Once you have done that, 3-4 hours won't seem so bad :)

------

To get over jet lag or to appreciate a 3-4 hour time difference, fly to Japan or China. Once you have done that, 3-4 hours won't seem so bad :)

I think I will pass on that advise :)

India is fun too; they split the difference and India Standard Time is GMT+5:30

East coast to west coast isn't too big a deal. Actually can be an advantage as even the worst bed-slug turns into an early bird.

It's the reverse that hurts.

As others have mentioned, the parts of Alaska you visit on a cruise will be 4 hours different.

Since this is a new experience for you, I think arriving 2 days ahead is a great idea. Other suggestions I use include:

-Getting enough & if possible, a little extra sleep leading up to the trip

-Adjusting your bed time/wake time at home slightly as possible

-Changing the time on your watch as soon as you get on the plane for your destination (eg if you are flying east coast to Seattle, change it 3 hours right away and start thinking that way and then once you board again in Seattle, change it one more hour)

-Plan your meals en route for your destination time

-If you arrive in the morning, stay up, go out, and keep going

-If you arrive at night, make yourself go to bed

-Try an eye mask. You will also be dealing with late nights and early mornings with the sun

-Have a positive attitude (eg "this is a neat fun experience" instead of "boy is this going to stink")

------

Yikes you have that right. :) I've been to Australia/New Zealand twice. didn't bother me either. It's nothing for me, going to Europe or Hawaii, just get off the plane and start my activities. :)

But- I hear of some people having significant difficulties.

Aussies are used to time changes. 3 hours is pretty easy to accommodate to on holidays. For work it is much more difficult. For this trip we have a 12 hour change and expect to be up to speed in 3 days.

During summer we have multple time zones in Australia. NSW, Vic and Tasmania are on one, QLD has their own, SA and NT share one, and WA another. Four all up.

Edited by Pushka

So as I plan for my first cruise to Alaska I need to ask if anyone has advise on adjusting to the 3 hour time change. I am from the east coast and have never traveled west.

alaska is an 11 hour difference for us.

traveling west doesn't typically affect travelers very much.

Traveling east usually has far more impact.

Edited by alaska_planner