Norwegian's Free at Sea

wezie

Hello! Just came across your post while I was researching the "free-at-sea wifi". I have read mixed reviews about the iconcierge app and would love to hear how your experience with it was. I am mostly interested in the communications aspect of it. Thanks in advance for any advice...

I wish I could help you, but I haven't used it yet. On my last NCL cruise, it was just the hubby and me, so no need, but my upcoming cruise is now at a total of 17 people, and we may want to keep in touch, to see where everyone is, etc. I already put the app on my phone in anticipation of getting this going, so I certaintly hope it works! I don't cruise until January 7, so I won't be able to help you much. Anybody else on here with experience with the iconcierge app?

Hello! Just came across your post while I was researching the "free-at-sea wifi". I have read mixed reviews about the iconcierge app and would love to hear how your experience with it was. I am mostly interested in the communications aspect of it. Thanks in advance for any advice...

We have used iconcierge on the past 3 cruises. Worked great for us on two of them, a few glitches on the 2nd cruise. The reason being I think is I didn't delete the app from our phones and reload it before the 2nd trip. So it was confusing the first cruise phone numbers and that current cruise. Also, regularly close the app and open it again on your smart phone.

But on the whole it works well and is great for keeping on touch with the kids.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi, would you be able to give advice about the "free wifi"? Have you chosen it before and regretted it? Any info you could tell me would help as NCL doesn't give you much detail to go on, such as overage costs, how it works, etc. Thanks!

What ship and when are you sailing ? What do you wish to do with it ?

The free WiFi inTRAnet has limited functionalities with all the options, accessible via the iConcierge App. Some of the features are optional and has a nominal fee, either one-time and/or pay per use.

WiFi inTERnet is not free, pay as you go; or, by the minutes or MB plan, or unlimited daily plans; and, in the case of the Getaway & Escape - a new 3-tiered plan including the base social media plan.

See this update I wrote up earlier this month -

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2507608&highlight=NCL

on T-Mobile, Project Fi or WiFi via dual-sim BLU R1HD using Tapatalk, VPN secured

We have used iconcierge on the past 3 cruises. Worked great for us on two of them, a few glitches on the 2nd cruise. The reason being I think is I didn't delete the app from our phones and reload it before the 2nd trip. So it was confusing the first cruise phone numbers and that current cruise. Also, regularly close the app and open it again on your smart phone.

But on the whole it works well and is great for keeping on touch with the kids.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you!

What ship and when are you sailing ? What do you wish to do with it ?

The free WiFi inTRAnet has limited functionalities with all the options, accessible via the iConcierge App. Some of the features are optional and has a nominal fee, either one-time and/or pay per use.

WiFi inTERnet is not free, pay as you go; or, by the minutes or MB plan, or unlimited daily plans; and, in the case of the Getaway & Escape - a new 3-tiered plan including the base social media plan.

See this update I wrote up earlier this month -

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2507608&highlight=NCL

on T-Mobile, Project Fi or WiFi via dual-sim BLU R1HD using Tapatalk, VPN secured

Thanks on the info about the app... very helpful! Besides downloading the app (and paying the $10 fee per device for the text/talk part), we will also receive 250 minutes of internet use as part of our Epic "free-at-sea" choices. I was wondering how this has been working out for people... for example, if it alerts you when you're about to run out, or automatically charges you more minutes... that kind of info.

Hi, would you be able to give advice about the "free wifi"? Have you chosen it before and regretted it? Any info you could tell me would help as NCL doesn't give you much detail to go on, such as overage costs, how it works, etc. Thanks!

I had the 250 free mins as one of my fee at sea recently . You log on using the iconcierge app and option given after you register to select the 250 mins package at zero cost. It then clearly shows a circular graph type thing -like you see on speedtest.net - of 250 mins and as you use it can see remaining mins. Then just put in logout.com to browser and it logs you off. I was afraid it wouldn't be clear how much remaining and you could exceed free mins but in fact it was very transparent. Wifi speed in our. Cabin not good. Better on deck. Fairly ok for casual use overall I thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Besides downloading the app ... we will also receive 250 minutes of internet use ... was wondering ... if it alerts you when you're about to run out, or automatically charges you more minutes ...
Login.com and Logout.com are your "commands" to sign-in and sign-out against your 250 free internet minutes while onboard, that's about 4 hours of usage for the duration, not a lot.

7a401546bd99f05c16e90241373128f3.jpg

SIgn in (login.com) when you need to do something and immediately sign out (logout.com) and the usage meter screen will pop up to display your usage and remaining minutes. That's is as much alert as you will get. If you go over or run out, it will simply stopped working (some reported that extra minutes were billed as PAYG, thus, it's important to logoff each time, if you forgot - those minutes can add up quickly at 75 cents to 95 cents a minute). If that happened accidentally, speak to the onboard internet manager the first chance you have for a solution or adjustment, etc. - they are generally very nice & helpful, don't wait till the last day onboard. Accured charges are posted to your Onboard stateroom account - you can use the free iConcierge App to check & review it daily for anything out of the ordinary.

Satellite broadband is on a shared path with dynamic bandwidth being "metered" and prioritized for ship use, safety & navigation - the # of users active and "online" will affect the experience of all users at any given time. Try to find an "off-peak" time to log-in and you will likely get better results. Can't speak for the Epic, on the Breakaway - it worked great & quite fast for a satellite link (nothing compared to a quantum Fios speed of 75 to 100+ in upload or download, but it works). On the Gem, it was slower but still far better than analog & comparable to old copper DSL line, like 3G speed - but like the BA, upload was faster than download, functional & things like Facetime, Facebook, Hangouts, Skype & basic webmail & online browsing usually loaded.

Given the choice of a tablet/iPad or laptop or netbook PC, go with the iPad or smartphone as there's less data "overheads" and turn off background data loading & automatic downloads, as those will clog up and slow everything else down - optimize your setup, ask a tech geek friend to help before leaving to "tune-up" your gadgets first. Have fun !

I agree with you. It's an American cultural problem as far as work goes. People vacationed long before they could remain "connected."

Now it's an excuse that (bad) employers use to hold over their employees not being available 24/7, even when on vacation. On the other side, employees have allowed employers to take advantage of them in this way instead of standing up for themselves.

When I am on vacation, I am on vacation. My away message "I'll respond to you when I return. If this is an emergency, contact XYZ" No, "I'm on vacation but checking email occasionally." B.S.

And when I go home for the night, that time is for me, my wife and my kids. I'm not sitting there with my phone on the table looking for notifications of new work email messages.

The world has never ended, I have never been fired, and actually do quite well for myself. If everyone took this approach, employers would have far less leverage to threaten people or intimidate them into letting work invade their personal time. Corporate culture just sucks in so many ways and in so many companies.

In the very grand scheme of things, many of us are doing work that isn't the least bit important, but we have placed a disproportionate amount of focus on the importance of our work. There's a reason why when someone is laid off or leaves a company to go to another job that the company goes on - it's because none of us are really that important on an individual basis.

If I may ask, how long have you worked in a government job ?:)

A little rant on the "free at sea" promotion from NCL. We are looking at a transatlantic on Breakaway. During a mock booking, I chose the UBP. When I get to the point of the final price, there is a $340 "special services" fee added to the total. What?? :mad: So, I go back and select the dining package instead of UBP. At the final price, there is a $30 "special service" fee! So, in my limited knowledge of such things, it appears that the "free" UBP is NOT free, but costs $300+! Somehow, this just feels like NCL is pulling a bait and switch scheme or their advertising of a "free" amenity should be considered as false advertising! Grrrr...

Rant over...soapbox relinquished...

If I may ask, how long have you worked in a government job ?:)

Actually, I agree with the poster 100%!! No job is worth cutting into your vacation time and family time. Granted, I'm retired now, but only for the last year and a half. I totally unplug on a vacation, as does my hubby, and we did throughout our working careers. We were both professionals, and, yes, we started our career and traveling long before technology made it easier to keep in touch, but after we did have smartphones, we only used them for taking pics when on a cruise, or any vacation. Work stayed at work. There was always someone else put in charge of our positions while we were out, and they handled everything without us checking in. I think it's the younger generation that grew up with always being connected that has the hardest time unplugging, because I have no problem what so ever! And did I or my hubby work a government job? No, not at all. He was a Director of Operation at a corporation where he worked 13+ hour days, where a whole company depended on him, but when he vacationed, he vacationed. His family was his total focus. I am a retired RN, but was the manager of a very busy cardiac floor, and the only certified chemo nurse in our facility, but when on vacation, it was somebody else' worry. My family and vacation were my only concern. I really think those that have trouble "unplugging" on vacation need to stop and reassess what is really important in life, because as the poster said, life goes on at the job without you. Time for everyone to vacation as Europeans do, because this totally connected to work thing seems to be an American problem with priorities of life.

A little rant on the "free at sea" promotion from NCL. We are looking at a transatlantic on Breakaway. During a mock booking, I chose the UBP. When I get to the point of the final price, there is a $340 "special services" fee added to the total. What?? :mad: So, I go back and select the dining package instead of UBP. At the final price, there is a $30 "special service" fee! So, in my limited knowledge of such things, it appears that the "free" UBP is NOT free, but costs $300+! Somehow, this just feels like NCL is pulling a bait and switch scheme or their advertising of a "free" amenity should be considered as false advertising! Grrrr...

Hmmmm.....I only paid the gratuities on the UBP. It wasn't $340! Not sure what that is all about. I'd call NCL and ask them.

Actually, I agree with the poster 100%!! No job is worth cutting into your vacation time and family time.

The thing is that it is all down to individual situations and preferences. What is right for one person isn't right for another. There is no 100% about any of this.

The $340 is paying the 18% gratuity per person each day for the cost of the UBP ($79/day). You would pay the 18% on drinks anyhow, so it's just prepaying the tips. You won't have to tip while on the ship. They even tell you this up front so no they do not "bait and switch". If you don't want to pay $340 to basically drink for free for 12 days then go ahead and buy a la carte.

Actually, I agree with the poster 100%!! No job is worth cutting into your vacation time and family time. Granted, I'm retired now, but only for the last year and a half. I totally unplug on a vacation, as does my hubby, and we did throughout our working careers. We were both professionals, and, yes, we started our career and traveling long before technology made it easier to keep in touch, but after we did have smartphones, we only used them for taking pics when on a cruise, or any vacation. Work stayed at work. There was always someone else put in charge of our positions while we were out, and they handled everything without us checking in. I think it's the younger generation that grew up with always being connected that has the hardest time unplugging, because I have no problem what so ever! And did I or my hubby work a government job? No, not at all. He was a Director of Operation at a corporation where he worked 13+ hour days, where a whole company depended on him, but when he vacationed, he vacationed. His family was his total focus. I am a retired RN, but was the manager of a very busy cardiac floor, and the only certified chemo nurse in our facility, but when on vacation, it was somebody else' worry. My family and vacation were my only concern. I really think those that have trouble "unplugging" on vacation need to stop and reassess what is really important in life, because as the poster said, life goes on at the job without you. Time for everyone to vacation as Europeans do, because this totally connected to work thing seems to be an American problem with priorities of life.

I guess I am confused.... your husband worked 13 hour days and this was acceptable lifestyle as long as he could turn off his phone for a few weeks of vacation? I am not trying to be argumentative just stating that we all have different job responsibilities and need to determine our own balance between work and family. Some jobs like yours (RN) allow a total detach from work (my wife was a part time nurse also so I have the highest respect for this profession). Others may require some interaction while on vacation. One of the saddest tales I heard was a customer who had gone on a bucket list two week Panama cruise planned by his wife, I asked how it was an he said he worked most of the cruise sending e-mails etc. He was probably 60 and unfortunately was let go a few weeks later.

That said I was responding to the poster who seemed to take a militant approach that he refused to be contacted during vacation etc. and intimated the entire corporate culture in US overall was unhealthy (much of it is BS agreed, but our work ethic has raised the US to a major power).

I am very family oriented and protective of my vacation time but have no problem checking in occasionally during vacation. No, my company will not cease to exist when I leave but I also am generally satisfied with my job which provides much to my family (like the many cruises I take) and I don't have an issue addressing an 'emergency' if I am the best one to handle. This has never been abused in my case.

Frankly, it is reassuring to be on vacation and check to see things are going smoothly and maybe doing a little relaxed work vs. coming home to two weeks of issues and e-mails.

JMHO

Somehow, this just feels like NCL is pulling a bait and switch scheme or their advertising of a "free" amenity should be considered as false advertising! Grrrr...

It's simple. The UBP cost is $79per person per day. With that, there is 18% added. Whether you call the 18% a service charge or a tip or a gratuity is up to you.

With the promo, NCL pays the $79 pppd and the guest pays the 18%. If that is too much, simply do not pick that promo and pay for any drinks onboard (there are complimentary drinks but not as good). The same is true for the SDP. NCL pays the cost of the plan and the guest pays the 18%. If the complimentary restaurants are good enough and specialty restaurants aren't needed or wanted, do not select the SDP promo or any SDP meals are paid onboard by the guest..

If you receive a coupon for a free meal at one of your local restaurants do you leave a tip based on what the meal would have cost, or leave nothing because you didn't pay anything for it.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

As I understand it, with the drink package, you will pay the 18% when you order/receive a drink. No problem with that as that happens with no package. As far as NCL "paying" for the package, and charging $340 as a service charge, the math doesn't work out for a 12-day cruise. Anyone care to explain it? It works out to $28.33/day. Is NCL just making an assumption on how many drinks we may have in a day? It would seem much less like falsly advertising a "free" package if it was explained or if the 18% was added to each bar or drink tab.

It is 18% on the cost of the package, which is $79 per day, so $79 x 18% x 12 days x 2 people is $341.28

f you are actually being charged exactly $340, as your post suggests then I can't explain that.

Your understanding is wrong, by the way. With the drinks package you pay nothing extra as a gratuity when you order/receive a drink.

I had the 250 free mins as one of my fee at sea recently . You log on using the iconcierge app and option given after you register to select the 250 mins package at zero cost. It then clearly shows a circular graph type thing -like you see on speedtest.net - of 250 mins and as you use it can see remaining mins. Then just put in logout.com to browser and it logs you off. I was afraid it wouldn't be clear how much remaining and you could exceed free mins but in fact it was very transparent. Wifi speed in our. Cabin not good. Better on deck. Fairly ok for casual use overall I thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you so much!

Login.com and Logout.com are your "commands" to sign-in and sign-out against your 250 free internet minutes while onboard, that's about 4 hours of usage for the duration, not a lot.

7a401546bd99f05c16e90241373128f3.jpg

SIgn in (login.com) when you need to do something and immediately sign out (logout.com) and the usage meter screen will pop up to display your usage and remaining minutes. That's is as much alert as you will get. If you go over or run out, it will simply stopped working (some reported that extra minutes were billed as PAYG, thus, it's important to logoff each time, if you forgot - those minutes can add up quickly at 75 cents to 95 cents a minute). If that happened accidentally, speak to the onboard internet manager the first chance you have for a solution or adjustment, etc. - they are generally very nice & helpful, don't wait till the last day onboard. Accured charges are posted to your Onboard stateroom account - you can use the free iConcierge App to check & review it daily for anything out of the ordinary.

Satellite broadband is on a shared path with dynamic bandwidth being "metered" and prioritized for ship use, safety & navigation - the # of users active and "online" will affect the experience of all users at any given time. Try to find an "off-peak" time to log-in and you will likely get better results. Can't speak for the Epic, on the Breakaway - it worked great & quite fast for a satellite link (nothing compared to a quantum Fios speed of 75 to 100+ in upload or download, but it works). On the Gem, it was slower but still far better than analog & comparable to old copper DSL line, like 3G speed - but like the BA, upload was faster than download, functional & things like Facetime, Facebook, Hangouts, Skype & basic webmail & online browsing usually loaded.

Given the choice of a tablet/iPad or laptop or netbook PC, go with the iPad or smartphone as there's less data "overheads" and turn off background data loading & automatic downloads, as those will clog up and slow everything else down - optimize your setup, ask a tech geek friend to help before leaving to "tune-up" your gadgets first. Have fun !

Thank you!