Paralyzed with Indecision-Help!

HockeyDAD73

Hello all, we need a little help with our indecision concerning Oceania. My DW and I have been loyal Celebrity cruisers over the years, Elite Capitan Club, but recently have turned sour over Celebrity, because of the continued lack of service and other things associated with big ship and fighting for deck chairs.

Last May we tried NCL and cruised the Getaway in The Haven class. Loved the Haven, hated the ship outside of the Haven.

So we are trying to book a cruise on a more upscale line that can offer a Little exclusivity, and a little more refinement. So, we have been talking to Oceania about a 14 day cruise in March on the Riviera.

We are in our early 60's, feel 39 :D, love to enjoy good food, an night life of dancing on the ship and meeting new people.

However, we have been reading some reviews about the ship in December and we are now wondering if Oceania really does offer an upscale experience? We have also been talking to Silversea.

Any helpful comments will be greatly appreciated.

Trying to find the elusive great cruise.

There is not much dancing on the ship

A short time before the show & a short time in Horizons after the main show

On the upside there are lots of nice people to meet ;)

Enjoy whatever cruise you choose

Hello all, we need a little help with our indecision concerning Oceania. My DW and I have been loyal Celebrity cruisers over the years, Elite Capitan Club, but recently have turned sour over Celebrity, because of the continued lack of service and other things associated with big ship and fighting for deck chairs.

Last May we tried NCL and cruised the Getaway in The Haven class. Loved the Haven, hated the ship outside of the Haven.

So we are trying to book a cruise on a more upscale line that can offer a Little exclusivity, and a little more refinement. So, we have been talking to Oceania about a 14 day cruise in March on the Riviera.

We are in our early 60's, feel 39 :D, love to enjoy good food, an night life of dancing on the ship and meeting new people.

However, we have been reading some reviews about the ship in December and we are now wondering if Oceania really does offer an upscale experience? We have also been talking to Silversea.

We were on the Dec 2nd Riviera cruise, which was severely impacted by Norovirus. The biggest problem was due to the poor handling of the situation by management. As a result of the sanitation required by the CDC, the staff was spread thin causing both service and dining to be affected. The reviews on Cruise Critic can give you the specifics of the problems.

This was our 4th Oceania sailing - two on Marina and two on Riviera. The last one was a TA on the Riviera three years ago. There was also a Norovirus outbreak on that sailing and it has taken us this long to decide to give Oceania one more try. The first two sailings on the Marina were so outstanding, that we hoped we could experience it again. It didn't happen. Dining service was so slow that dinners took 2 1/2 - 3 hours and we missed the beginning of most shows. We tried to fix that by eating dinner in the buffet, but that is not how we like to dine on a cruise. We understood why the dining service was so bad, but the food was also inferior to what we experienced on our other Oceania sailings.

We are also Celebrity cruisers (elite plus), and were on the Eclipse TA in November. For 1/3 of the cost of Oceania, we had consistently better service on Celebrity. And the food was not so much better on Oceania that it was worth the extra cost. As I said, the food on previous Oceania cruises was much better than what we experienced in December.

Oceania did nothing to make up for the inferior experience we had, except for one 2-hour happy hour one evening. They have stated the situation was not their fault and the passengers are not due any compensation.

Unfortunately, we believe that Oceania is no longer the luxury cruise that it used to be, and we will not be sailing on it again.

Marilyn

No dancing to speak of and no night life to speak of.

For that I would recommend Crystal which we have a lot of cruises on also. But, the cabins are SMALL, so you need to get up to a Penthouse with Verandah for anything with any size.

However, the dancing is spectacular and the lectures are spectacular. About the same demographic. Great service and food, but not as many alternative dining rooms.

Keep in mind that Silversea's largest ship holds 540 guests - considerably less than the lines you have experienced. That means less activities and a quieter atmosphere. To a certain extent you entertain yourself. If you enjoy a laid back setting and by in large a more formal group of passengers, then Silversea may be for you.

Oceania offers a nice product however it is not a luxury line. That said it really makes little difference to me what class a line is in. Oceania is very quiet at night. I would say the experience is upscale from Celebrity however only you know how much more you are willing to pay to go to the same places. Crystal is a better choice except for their dinner arrangements which are a deal breaker for me, however you might not mind it. Check it out.

With all due respect, why do people keep comparing Oceania with or suggesting Celebrity? Celebrity is twice the size & has not had great food reviews in a long time. I've never sailed on Celebrity because I've always heard it's mass market, tons of people with contests in the pool, really? That is not Oceania or any of the other lines mentioned in this thread.

We have been on both Celebrity and Norwegian, and there's no comparison to Oceania. The food on Norwegian was mediocre and I found the ship tacky, and once was enough for us. Celebrity was fine. It's a whole other story with Oceania. Excellent food and the specialty restaurants are no extra cost. Yes, it's pretty quiet in the evening, so if you're looking for something more lively, then stick with Celebrity. We're sticking with Oceania for now simply because we like the itineraries, the smaller ships, the lack of photographers poking their cameras at us every time we ate or came off the ship, no formal nights, country club casual, and those beds - sublime.

With all due respect, why do people keep comparing Oceania with or suggesting Celebrity? Celebrity is twice the size & has not had great food reviews in a long time. I've never sailed on Celebrity because I've always heard it's mass market, tons of people with contests in the pool, really? That is not Oceania or any of the other lines mentioned in this thread.

Yes, Celebrity is mass market, but I'd say it's at the top of the mass market- a step up from Carnival, Norwegian, and Royal Caribbean. There are NOT contests in the pool and there aren't tons of people. However, they are big ships and I think their dining experience has suffered under cutbacks, at least on our last cruise.

We also enjoy Celebrity but are looking for a more upscale, special experience for an upcoming anniversary. Oceania looks appealing, but WOW...you should check out Viking Oceans. A new line but getting stellar reviews.

...you should check out Viking Oceans. A new line but getting stellar reviews.

Their ship is stunning, the infinity pool just kills me, but be sure to read those reviews carefully. Viking Oceans is a decidedly European experience, with Americans distinctly in the minority.

That colors every aspect of the cruise, from PA Announcements to food selections at the buffets.

I'm not saying that it is better or worse, but it IS different, and not everyones cup of tea.

Edited by StanandJim

We also enjoy Celebrity but are looking for a more upscale, special experience for an upcoming anniversary. Oceania looks appealing, but WOW...you should check out Viking Oceans. A new line but getting stellar reviews.

Never sailed Celebrity but have sailed Oceania numerous times, Azamara once and Viking Oceans once. If you like a night life than go on Azamara. The atmosphere and ambiance is very nice and people were dancing to 1 am in the morning on our cruise. The food is better on Oceania but no nightlife to speak of and we saw only a few people dancing on our eight cruises. We were on the ill fated Viking Oceans tour that had engine problems and the trip was cut short. We loved the ship, service and the food. The shows were very good but I can't comment on dancing. Viking Oceans home office leaves a lot to be desired but once on the ship it is great.

We moved over to O from Celebrity a few years ago. We prefer O's atmosphere - less upsell and better dining. It feels less like a cruise and more like a hotel.

They do anytime dining very well....because it is the only choice of dining. If you prefer a table for two, you won't find yourself crammed up against another small table.

Ingredients used in restaurants are a notch above. Lobster and lamb chops are just about everywhere including the buffet. Fresh berries in the morning. The buffet is much more elegant than you find on any mass market and is a reasonable alternative for a nice dinner.

Entertainment fits us - we never go to shows and prefer just sitting in a lounge and listening to music (similar to what we would do in a nice hotel).

The December reviews on one ship reflect the noro problem.

We have 10 plus Oceania cruises and right now we are in a suite on celebrity for the price of an inside on o.

The food in the suite restaurant and blu is excellent. Skip the buffet

I have the best butler I have ever had

Ship (eclipse) does not feel crowded

We are elite and have plenty of perks

All that said we have two more o cruises booked and just booked another celebrity cruise for 2017. The on board booking deal is so fabulous I convinced two other couples we know from o to join us and I was able to get them the same deal

Both cruise lines give you a great experience. Celebrity is the best value at sea.

We have 10 plus Oceania cruises and right now we are in a suite on celebrity for the price of an inside on o.

All that said we have two more o cruises booked and just booked another celebrity cruise for 2017. The on board booking deal is so fabulous I convinced two other couples we know from o to join us and I was able to get them the same deal

Both cruise lines give you a great experience. Celebrity is the best value at sea.

Pretty much in agreement with this. We cruise them both, you have to take them for what they are. There are things I like a lot about both lines, but for different things.

Personally, and some people will think I'm crazy, but I've found most of the service to be as good and many times better on Celebrity.

Celebrity has a much superior bar product.

And the specialty restaurants are fabulous. Yes they charge -- although we get two free dinners with out suite booking - but it's peanuts with the overall savings

The onboard booking special is giving us free premium drinks Internet and gratuities for two and big obc. My ta adds even more and it's a no brainer if the itinerary is right

And the specialty restaurants are fabulous. Yes they charge -- although we get two free dinners with out suite booking - but it's peanuts with the overall savings

The onboard booking special is giving us free premium drinks Internet and gratuities for two and big obc. My ta adds even more and it's a no brainer if the itinerary is right

The above have been our experiences, as well, with Celebrity. ;)

Good food, not bad. Not always great, but better than cooking and always something else to choose from if you don't like what you have.

Service great to excellent. :)

Never had a problem finding a deck chair at any time of the day, and we are out on deck every chance we get. :cool: Try some higher decks, not the pool or overlooking the pool.

No pool contest that I have ever seen. :rolleyes:

We will be taking our first Oceania cruise, on the Riviera, in one month. Why you ask, if we are so happy with Celebrity?

We have just completed our 12th cruise with Celebrity (and have 3 more coming up) and it was our 32nd cruise altogether (have sailed on RCCL, HAL, Princess, Carnival and Disney.) We wanted a different experience and a choice of different Caribbean ports for this winter. Oceania fit the bill and promises to be a "special" experience.

We will let you know how it compares to Celebrity when we return. :)

BTW- To compare price...We are paying the same amount, in a B3, for a 10 night cruise in the Caribbean as we recently paid for our 12 night Celebrity cruise in Europe...in a Suite!

Edited by Iamthesea

Agree. We spent 30 days on Solstice (NZ/OZ) and feel exactly as you do. The best butler ever and we had a very enjoyable time.

We also love O and will spend 30 days Oct 2016 on Insignia to S.A. They are both different but both offer a very good product.

We have booked Japan on X for 2018 and look forward to many more O cruises in our future.

Edited by portofinoitaly

Their ship is stunning, the infinity pool just kills me, but be sure to read those reviews carefully. Viking Oceans is a decidedly European experience, with Americans distinctly in the minority.

That colors every aspect of the cruise, from PA Announcements to food selections at the buffets.

I'm not saying that it is better or worse, but it IS different, and not everyones cup of tea.

Hi Stamford, CT! I grew up in Fairfield County.

So...how are PA announcements different on a more European cruise line?

As for food, I know the first few voyages had issues (no iced tea) but other than that the menus look fantastic- reviews have been excellent once they got past the first couple of months. Can you elaborate?

Pretty much in agreement with this. We cruise them both, you have to take them for what they are. There are things I like a lot about both lines, but for different things.

Personally, and some people will think I'm crazy, but I've found most of the service to be as good and many times better on Celebrity.

Celebrity has a much superior bar product.

ORV, we are sailing with you on the Solstice in September - would enjoy chatting with you about Oceania as we have a B2B on Riviera in December. We are elite level on Celebrity but are very much looking forward to cruising with O. I appreciate the comparisons.

comparing is a good thing sometimes but sometimes the products are both good but just in different ways

Does it have to be love one cruise line over all others ???

No one forces anyone to sail on only 1 cruise line :rolleyes:

Go with what works best for you

not every ship or sailing will be perfect in every way

Edited by LHT28

...So...how are PA announcements different on a more European cruise line?...

We once cruised pon Costa -- every announcement, from routine cruise director announcements to poolside dancing lessons to bingo to trivia was in 5 languages! Everything! Italian, French, German, Spanish and lastly English...

I have no idea where you got this from. I was on the Viking Oceans in July and it was overwhelmingly American.