21 Guest involved in car accident in Falmouth - 1 guest passed away.

mpoole3

We were in Jamaica last year. Driving there is horrific and I've travelled through dozens of countries. When they tell you "no problem" about the driving, its not true. There really does need to be a lot of improved driving there.

It is tragic, yet somehow not unexpected that accidents happen there.

Condolences to those involved...

Any details as to what happened ? what tour etc?

I will be there next month and will be worried about taking tours.

A little drastic don't you think? Are you worried about driving in your home town every day? Without even knowing where you are from I can pretty well guarantee there has been at least one fatal accident this year somewhere in your area.

Accidents happen. It absolutely sucks that it happened to people who were on vacation. I guess that's why you should enjoy the time you have, because you really never know what could happen.

Most of the excursions for Falmouth are around Ocho Rios, on the other side of the island. Accidents can and do happen anywhere, but we usually visit the shopping area by the ship and return to the ship.

I am very sad to hear of the accident and wish for speedy recoveries to the injured and send condolences to the families who the deceased.

One of the passengers in the van was placed at our table for dinner. He was seriously upset over the death of a child in the crash. I'm not sure it was reported that the victim was a child. I hope we were able to somehow ease his pain and sense of despair at the tragic loss of a child. Apparently, the victims were first brought back to the ship rather than going to a Jamaican hospital, although I can't confirm that.

It certainly seems RCCL are doing their best under the circumstances.

Yes, we may be late in arriving back in Fort Lauderdale, but who cares? Given the situation, that becomes an almost trivial concern!

A little drastic don't you think? Are you worried about driving in your home town every day? Without even knowing where you are from I can pretty well guarantee there has been at least one fatal accident this year somewhere in your area.

Accidents happen. It absolutely sucks that it happened to people who were on vacation. I guess that's why you should enjoy the time you have, because you really never know what could happen.

Driving in Jamaica is insane. It really is. No respect for lanes or lights or pedestrians. Plus traffic is horrific. My 6-8 mile commute can take over an hour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of the passengers in the van was placed at our table for dinner. He was seriously upset over the death of a child in the crash. I'm not sure it was reported that the victim was a child. I hope we were able to somehow ease his pain and sense of despair at the tragic loss of a child. Apparently, the victims were first brought back to the ship rather than going to a Jamaican hospital, although I can't confirm that.

Yes, we may be late in arriving back in Fort Lauderdale, but who cares? Given the situation, that becomes an almost trivial concern!

I pray that I never have to experience the pain that the parents are feeling right now. This makes this man who is blessed with a 6 year old son hug him a little extra tight. So easy to take this wonderful gift of life for granted...

What do you mean drastic???? This person has a legitimate concern. People drive crazy in Jamaica. No shoulder road conditions aren't the same as we have it here. The rules and regulations in the states are way better then down there. And how many people actually put seat belts in these vans?

Most of the excursions for Falmouth are around Ocho Rios, on the other side of the island. Accidents can and do happen anywhere, but we usually visit the shopping area by the ship and return to the ship.

I am very sad to hear of the accident and wish for speedy recoveries to the injured and send condolences to the families who the deceased.

Sad story. Accidents happen everywhere even in the USA.

FYI: Ocho Rios is maybe 25-30 miles east of Falmouth, not "on the other side of the island".

I agree - my heart goes out to the family that lost a child. I cannot even imagine!

Traffic in Jamaica is probably the craziest I have seen anywhere. Between Falmouth and Ocho Rios, I have seen many wild things. Drivers seem to get out into the other lane to pass first & check if other cars are coming as an afterthought. I'm glad we did smaller private tours when we were there. A nice mini-van driven by an experienced tour guide seems a lot safer than a big tour bus with a lot less maneuverability... :(

The current news from the Jamaica Observer states that a 32 year old American woman died.

We wish a speedy recovery to the injured and condolences to the family that has lost a loved one.

If someone is worried about excursions, then they should also be worried about driving anywhere. Stuff happens all over. Even with the best of infrastructure. Jamaica's leaves a lot to be desired, but....

The last couple of accidents should've put an end to the argument about doing nothing but ship's excursions too. The ship uses, in many cases, the same vendors as individuals do. They are not in control of the driving, that is in the control of the native driver and people make mistakes. In this case as in others, it's lamentable and sad, but it happens.

Some things are out of our control and we must deal with them.

This accident will not keep us from excursions, ship sponsored or otherwise. I take a chance walking outside my home every day.

That being said, prayers for all those involved...I watch the news every morning, I pray a lot....:([/size

clearly you have never seen the driving conditions and attitudes of the drivers in Jamaica. it really IS a lot more dangerous there than in any major metropolitan city in the US, including the Big ones like DC where accidents happen hourly.

The current news from the Jamaica Observer states that a 32 year old American woman died.

We wish a speedy recovery to the injured and condolences to the family that has lost a loved one.

maybe a local child was injured badly? and the guest didn't have all the facts and only saw a child being taken away.

clearly you have never seen the driving conditions and attitudes of the drivers in Jamaica. it really IS a lot more dangerous there than in any major metropolitan city in the US, including the Big ones like DC where accidents happen hourly.

I was there last year. Personally, I didn't think it was that crazy. I have seen much, MUCH, worse, but that's beside the point.

I stand by my thinking that it's a drastic decision to decide against excursions. This is the first fatality for a Royal Caribbean Excursion in how long? I honestly don't know, but I would be willing to bet that the probability of dying on a tour van in a Royal Caribbean Excursion is no higher than the chances of dying on your morning commute to work.

Actually it probably IS NOT:rolleyes: The fatality rate per resident is higher in the USA than Jamaica:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate

I won't worry any more in Jamaica than I will going to work every day in the US. Your comment that "accidents happen hourly" in the DC area pretty much sums thing up.......why would that be safer than Jamaica?

Edited by bouhunter

Jamaica is why we book ship tours. Our five hour trip turned into 9, and they held the ship for us. They pulled the gangplank right after we boarded.

Horrid traffic, and we were delayed because they took much longer at each rest stop than suggested because every restroom had a gift shop, and they let passengers take as much time as they wanted making purchases.

Our Dunn River Express became Dunn River Extravaganza, w/ no lunch! These days, we always bring along some food because of that excursion in Jamaica.

Our guide said our driver had no accidents, but dh reminded me of the guide telling us no crime in Roatan but we saw bars on all the windows, and the cruise reports started soon after that.

So, sorry for the victims of the collision.

My driver's education teacher in High School told us not to call them accidents, because someone's usually at fault.

Edited by knittinggirl

I love Jamaica and have been there a dozen times on cruises and about 8 times at resorts, but roads are terrible and many trips are scary, this is not like driving in the US or most other islands. Island has mountains and many roads with no guard rails.

I love Jamaica and have been there a dozen times on cruises and about 8 times at resorts, but roads are terrible and many trips are scary, this is not like driving in the US or most other islands. Island has mountains and many roads with no guard rails.

My kids did a rain forest zipline in Jamaica. They said the bus ride was scarier than the zipline.