OH OH..Juneau's Loss is Ours also........

IRL_Joanie

Oh Oh....... For those of us who might discover we've forgotten to pack something we cannot do without while on an Alaska Cruise and think they'll pick it up at the Walmart Super Center in Juneau (since its cheaper there than a regular store in Alaska) ....THINK AGAIN!!!

Announced today is a complete list of all 269 Walmart and affiliated stores being closed and Juneau is on the list. It will close its doors on 5 February 2016.

I am posting this here only because I know of quite a few members of Cruise Critic who have made use of this store specifically.

Joanie

Looks like there's a Fred Meyer in Juneau still, which should be just as good for food, and pretty close for everything else. It's further from the port, though.

Freddie's is minimally further than Wal Mart.

I haven't noticed if they have a shuttle, but that would be smart!

The public bus stops downtown right near the cruise ships and stops right on the side of Freddie's. I like them better than Wal Mart anyway :)

A loss to cruisers, a loss to the crew, and a much bigger loss to the employees and residents :( We were in Juneau the first year the Wal Mart was open, and many of the locals were very excited to have a Wal Mart. Unless you live someplace that is somewhat isolated, you cannot understand how much a major store such as a Wal Mart can help day to day life.