do i need documents for shore excursions

scarletsmummy

Hi , i hope someone can help with what seems a silly question

We are travelling from england to Florida and cruising on the Spirit for a 14 day back to back cruise east and west caribbean in April. This is our very first cruise and my head is full of questions

Could you tell me if when we get off the boat for day excursions we need to show any documents ( as i do not really want to carry my passport around with me )

We traditionally carry our cruise card, and a drivers license. It is a good idea to carry the ships daily newsletter also. It usually has the port agents info in case of an emergency.

What do you use for daily ID in England? In the US it is drivers license for most folks. Passports are mainly used for travel.

We are travelling from england to Florida and cruising on the Spirit for a 14 day back to back cruise east and west caribbean in April. This is our very first cruise and my head is full of questions

Could you tell me if when we get off the boat for day excursions we need to show any documents ( as i do not really want to carry my passport around with me )

Depends on what excursions you are taking, if you are going from one island to another than you might need to take your passport (the excursion description should say whether or not this is the case). If not then as previously said you need you photo ID and ship card.

Edited by sparks1093

We traditionally carry our cruise card, and a drivers license. It is a good idea to carry the ships daily newsletter also. It usually has the port agents info in case of an emergency.

What do you use for daily ID in England? In the US it is drivers license for most folks. Passports are mainly used for travel.

In england we are not required to carry I..D . I suppose most drivers carry a driving licence ( but I do not drive Lol )

I can't think of any Caribbean ports where you're required to take your passport ashore, certainly not the popular ports. So leave passports in your cabin safe unless instructed otherwise.

You will need to take ashore your boarding card / sailcard / whatever your particular cruise line calls it, it will be swiped as you disembark & again when you return - that way they know whether you're aboard or ashore.

You may also have to show it to get back in at the port gate.

Some cards have the passenger's photo, some don't.

Some ports require photo ID at the port gate, some don't.

Since having to take a driving test is such an irksome task (;)), easiest for you is to make a copy of the ID page of your passport & take that ashore as your photo-ID.

As per pathi's advice, also take a copy of the relevant ship's news-sheet, it has contact details of the ship's port agent. For instance in the very very very unlikely event of you missing your sailing :eek: ship's crew will normally hand the contents of your cabin safe to the port agent. He can also help you (at your expense) to catch up with the ship at the next port.

If on an arranged excursion of course you'll also need your tour ticket or booking.

JB :)

You will be given a "ship card" when you board. It acts as your room key, ID, and charge card while on the ship. You have to have it to either leave or return to the ship. You also need a photo ID in most ports, not for the ship, but to enter and leave the secure area, just like in an airport. Assuming that your drivers licenses are like those in the US and contain a photo, that will be all that you need. There is no need to take your passport ashore, and in fact the cruise line may even hold it.

Edited by zqvol

OP

There are a couple of Caribbean ports where we have had to show a photo ID to get through the security gates.

Your ship's ID card only has a picture on the ship's computer to identify you as the correct passenger.

You will still need another form of a picture ID and since you don't drive, you may have to take your passport ashore with you. Do you have any other legal document that has a photo of you?

Depends on what excursions you are taking, if you are going from one island to another than you might need to take your passport (the excursion description should say whether or not this is the case). If not then as previously said you need you photo ID and ship card.

As the others have said, take cruise card and daily sheet with details. I also photocopy the relevant bit of my passport. I do drive but my licence pre-dates photo cards so the only photo ID I possess is my pensioners bus pass

A little off topic - but still funny. We did a cruise out of San Juan PR. From the time my mother checked in until she was on the ship, someone took her passport. She didn't notice until the end of the cruise. She went to gather it and go through Immigration but with no passport didn't know what to do. The guy asked her if she had anything else with her that was a picture ID. The only this was - HER COSTCO CARD. :D Yup, thankfully, he accepted that as the second piece of ID.

You do not need a photo ID in most ports. (Aruba is an excaption.) There is no more reason to carry photo ID in most Caribbean islands than there is in the UK (based on my admittedly limited experience of Barbados, Antigua, St Lucia, St Maarten, and Aruba, plus various ports in Mexico, Costa Rica et al) than there is in the UK. If you're worried about being identified in an accident, chances are you'll have a credit card and you'll certainly have a ship's pass, which is plenty to identify you.

If you need to carry your passport, you'll be told by the ship in plenty of time, including via the daily newsletter and the port guide. Otherwise, it's not needed. (I don't have a photo driving licence either.)

Personally, I would never step foot on foreign soil without my passport.

The OP will have difficulty getting back to the US, let alone getting the airplane home, if they unnecessarily took their passport ashore & it was lost or stolen.

Each to their own comfort level, but that's part of the reason why advice from cruise lines & govt departments & the majority of experienced cruisers is to leave your passport on the ship.;)

JB :)

As others have said, make a copy of the passport page with your picture and other information. Leave your passport in the safe on the ship and take the copy with you. If the copy is lost, damaged, or stolen, the guest services desk on your ship can make you another copy. If your REAL passport is lost, damaged , or stolen, you will have some problems until you get home, you may be certain!:eek:

We don't need daily ID. Out of interest, why do you?

We don't generally need an ID with Photo in the US, but, for me at least, a day does not pass that I am not driving a car or riding a motorcycle somewhere and then I need my license. There are other instances here where having an ID is important to make your life easier. Occasionally to prevent Credit Card fraud a cashier will ask to see a Photo ID when checking out with a non chip or non PIN card. Banks require a photo ID to distribute Cash. To insure compliance with restrictions on underage drinking, and to "not insult" people in the 21-25 yo range, many retailers of alcoholic beverages require a photo ID from anyone buying alcohol. Now, none of these things are Government mandates, but simple rules individual businesses come up with on their own as a "CYA" measure.

However, to pass through security at an airport or to enter a Sea Port, you DO need a photo ID. So if your itinerary includes San Juan, PR or St Thomas USVI, you will need a photo ID as well as your ship card to enter the port area to get to your ship. Other ports are hit or miss as to whether or not you need a photo ID.

In addition to the other comments and suggestions already posted, I would like to add another suggestion. If you've booked an excursion with an operator independent of the cruise line, take a copy of the e-mail confirmation with you, showing that you've paid for the excursion, and how many (with names included if possible) are in your group. I have read that, although somewhat rare, there have been times when someone had a dispute with an excursion operator because the operator had no record of a person (or people) having paid for the excursion. Best to be prepared.;)

We don't generally need an ID with Photo in the US, but, for me at least, a day does not pass that I am not driving a car or riding a motorcycle somewhere and then I need my license. There are other instances here where having an ID is important to make your life easier. Occasionally to prevent Credit Card fraud a cashier will ask to see a Photo ID when checking out with a non chip or non PIN card. Banks require a photo ID to distribute Cash. To insure compliance with restrictions on underage drinking, and to "not insult" people in the 21-25 yo range, many retailers of alcoholic beverages require a photo ID from anyone buying alcohol. Now, none of these things are Government mandates, but simple rules individual businesses come up with on their own as a "CYA" measure.

I see. That lot surprises me really - apart from the under-25s buying alcohol, which I don't need on two counts (don't buy alcohol, don't look under 25:() , none of it applies in the UK. You don't need to carry a driving licence while driving; all cards have chip and pin, and before that cashiers used to check signatures as an ID check; most cash withdrawals are via hole in the wall, and when I draw cash it's at a place that knows me anyway.

My only photo ID is a passport, and there's no way I'm carrying that anywhere I don't have to. Far too many complications if it's lost, stolen or strayed. (My driving licence is 30 years old and has no photo.)

Now I remember, I was once asked for photo ID when using a credit card in the USA. But when I said I didn't have any, they sold me the stuff anyway. Only about $25 worth.

Edited by dsrdsrdsr

I see. That lot surprises me really - apart from the under-25s buying alcohol, which I don't need on two counts (don't buy alcohol, don't look under 25:() , none of it applies in the UK. You don't need to carry a driving licence while driving; all cards have chip and pin, and before that cashiers used to check signatures as an ID check; most cash withdrawals are via hole in the wall, and when I draw cash it's at a place that knows me anyway.

My only photo ID is a passport, and there's no way I'm carrying that anywhere I don't have to. Far too many complications if it's lost, stolen or strayed. (My driving licence is 30 years old and has no photo.)

Now I remember, I was once asked for photo ID when using a credit card in the USA. But when I said I didn't have any, they sold me the stuff anyway. Only about $25 worth.

Yes we are liability crazy here. I bought some beer at a grocers last night, they require a photo ID of everyone purchasing beer, regardless of how old you obviously are (I'm 55 so no one mistakes me for being under 21!). You only need your license if you get pulled over by the police...But with random DUI checkpoints and how they love to pull over motorcycles just for the heck of it, it happens more than it should.

We are just starting to get chip and pin cards here. The hold up is with merchants getting the equipment to read them.

Interesting how restricted our lives are here in "The Land of the Free!"

If you get stopped by the police in the UK, and they want to see your licence, then you have a week to take it to the police station. Though all motor documents are now available on-line anyway, so I dare say they don't have to bother any more - I reckon the police will be able to download a copy of the photo without any trouble.