Things missing on the Konigsdam?

msteries

Contrary, HAL has introduced more Dutch heritage things (partnerships, dining options, etc) in the past year than they've

had since we sailed them first in 2005.

When we started sailing in about 1991, we well knew HAL had Dutch heritage. They didn't need partnerships to provide the Dutch flavor.

Dutch girl dressed in costume for embarkation photos, Dutch Night in MDR, Dutch cheese cubes passed at cocktail hour, Dutch hats crew would paint

with the most beautiful designs for guests (some were works of art they were so beautiful), the flag was Dutch House of Orange etc

Edited by sail7seas

When we started sailing in about 1991, we well knew HAL had Dutch heritage. They didn't need partnerships to provide the Dutch flavor.

Dutch girl dressed in costume for embarkation photos, Dutch Night in MDR, Dutch cheese cubes passed at cocktail hour, Dutch hats crew would paint

with the most beautiful designs for guests (some were works of art they were so beautiful), the flag was Dutch House of Orange etc

None of this existed when we sailed. There are more Dutch touches today. It's more accurate to say HAL lost its Dutch touches but is regaining some.

Thankfully.

Oh, okay...... so they don't count then. :D

I miss them and I think there may be a few others who miss those Dutch things. Hard for you to know if you would have liked them seeing you never experienced them. ;)

None of this existed when we sailed. There are more Dutch touches today. It's more accurate to say HAL lost its Dutch touches but is regaining some.

Thankfully.

Same here. We don't miss what we never had. But I like that HAL seems to be getting back to its "roots", or at least recognising them.

Yes it is now a SOLAS requirement

This is not a SOLAS requirement at all.

Correct that the height of the boat from waterline is a consideration and the height is to approved to regulations. EURODAM Class.... the boats are approval. Lowering the boats to deck edge is an advantage in that the whole length of balconies are not blocked from the view.... and this raises value. It is views from the balcony v. open promenade. Revenue wins out.

The new Saga ships will have raised boats to make a full open promenade. The raised boats do block a lot of the superstructure so.... in exchange, the cabins and balconies have been eliminated and in that space will now be used for a huge library, card room and art studio. Don't panic... not for art auctions, this will be a studio for teaching purposes... usually art teachers are carried on their cruises.

This is not a SOLAS requirement at all.

Correct that the height of the boat from waterline is a consideration and the height is to approved to regulations. EURODAM Class.... the boats are approval. Lowering the boats to deck edge is an advantage in that the whole length of balconies are not blocked from the view.... and this raises value. It is views from the balcony v. open promenade. Revenue wins out.

The new Saga ships will have raised boats to make a full open promenade. The raised boats do block a lot of the superstructure so.... in exchange, the cabins and balconies have been eliminated and in that space will now be used for a huge library, card room and art studio. Don't panic... not for art auctions, this will be a studio for teaching purposes... usually art teachers are carried on their cruises.

Exactly. This is about revenue. Making another deck of balcony cabins. Plain and simple.

I'll add the newest Disney ships still have a traditional promenade deck with the boats above the promenade. It's a wonderful promenade as well. Several new designs have also opted for a large promenade deck above the lifeboats, and this can be seen on Carnival's Dream Class as well as NCL's Breakaway Class.

Another brand new design which continues the tradition of an open promenade deck are the brand new Viking Cruises ships. It was very important for them to incorporate a traditional, unobstructed, wrap-around promenade deck so they did.

It can be done.

Here's prices for a 7-day Eastern Caribbean in Feb 2017:

Category OO US$1599.00 * per person

Category F US$2510.00 * per person

Category E US$2542.00 * per person

Category D US$2686.00 * per person

Category C US$2734.00 * per person

Category CQ US$2782.00 * per person

* Taxes, Fees & Port Expenses are an additional US$ 137.95

Here's prices for a 7-day Eastern Caribbean in Feb 2017:

Category OO US$1599.00 * per person

Category F US$2510.00 * per person

Category E US$2542.00 * per person

Category D US$2686.00 * per person

Category C US$2734.00 * per person

Category CQ US$2782.00 * per person

* Taxes, Fees & Port Expenses are an additional US$ 137.95

Thanks for the prices. Probably will stick with the Eurodam. Date is a little early but the only selling point for me re:Kongsdam were those 00cabins.

Exactly. This is about revenue. Making another deck of balcony cabins. Plain and simple.

I'll add the newest Disney ships still have a traditional promenade deck with the boats above the promenade. It's a wonderful promenade as well. Several new designs have also opted for a large promenade deck above the lifeboats, and this can be seen on Carnival's Dream Class as well as NCL's Breakaway Class.

Another brand new design which continues the tradition of an open promenade deck are the brand new Viking Cruises ships. It was very important for them to incorporate a traditional, unobstructed, wrap-around promenade deck so they did.

It can be done.

And so I just booked the Eurodam! Everyone to their own taste, vive la differance etc etc., but for me the Promenade walks are a must.

Loss of the promenade is a big one for us. Also, not sure of the larger capacity and numbers of passengers on board. And, if they have messed with the library, it will be a big disappointment. We will sail the Koningsdam with an open mind but, as Ruth said, it may be a one and done for us too.

Edited by colonialinnkeeper
added to message

Same here. We don't miss what we never had. But I like that HAL seems to be getting back to its "roots", or at least recognising them.

I haven't seen it. Like Sail said... 2004 it was like being on a Dutch ship. Now - I search for the influences.

Loss of the promenade is a big one for us. Also, not sure of the larger capacity and numbers of passengers on board. {snip} We will sail the Koningsdam with an open mind but, as Ruth said, it may be a one and done for us too.

Same here.

Bigger does not = better in my book.

That being said - I like the K's New Year's itinerary and am considering giving it a try later this year.

The lifeboats are slung under 'luffing davits'. Same davits that used on board on the TITANIC..... over a century ago. The function is exactly as before bit today they are swung out using hydraulic power, in TITANIC they were man powered.

On TITANIC the boats sat in a cradle... at deck level. KONINGSDAM are a bt different but the keel is about 3 ft above the deck. You won't get a view... unless you stoop to look beneath.

TITANIC had quite a broad promenade deck behind the boats... with a great beautiful view up at those tall funnels. On KONINGSDAM you will have a very narrow deck to promenade behind the boats. 'Walkway' is more a better description than 'promenade'.

PS: Thankfully we will have plenty of lifeboats on KONINGSDAM.

Which one is the Titanic? :p

I also will give the new ship a try in December. I don't like the looks of the promenade but I'll keep an open mind until I see it. If I don't like the ship, I will go back to the "oldies but goodies".