no announcements?

what's this I hear about no more announcements onboard? Why is this? They are kind of annoying at times, were there too many complaints? So how are you supposed to be kept in the loop? Are certain important things still announced, like muster for example?

Only important issues are announced. Depending on the Captain you might have a noon report. They do announce muster. Nobody wants to hear BINGO BINGO BINGO every half hour. Anything happening will be in your Compass.

what's this I hear about no more announcements onboard? Why is this? They are kind of annoying at times, were there too many complaints? So how are you supposed to be kept in the loop? Are certain important things still announced, like muster for example?

other than the noon Captain's report, no there are no more announcements any more. on occasion the CD may get on to talk about something big but as far as being on time for events, that's up to you to keep track.

yes they will warn you about 30 minutes out for Muster, but even if they didn't, the crew would start moving you to your station in plenty of time

Is this fleet-wide?

Yes

When did this new policy begin? I was on Grandeur from Jan 6-16 and there were still lots of daily announcements (gangway, bingo, activities mentioned by the CD, Captain's report on position, speed, and weather, etc.).

Only the muster drill announcement was broadcast into the staterooms, though. It was explicitly mentioned that no further announcements would be played in the staterooms except for emergencies. Even a false bravo and an alpha drill announcement weren't broadcast into the rooms, only over the regular PA system.

I enjoyed the Captains daily updates. Will miss them.

So no announcement letting passengers know they're free to disembark when in port?

No, those are still made; passengers need to know when the ship has been cleared by the local authorities so they still announce that. Also the Captain still makes his noon report. It's the extraneous Bingo, art auction, etc. announcements that have ceased.

No, those are still made; passengers need to know when the ship has been cleared by the local authorities so they still announce that. Also the Captain still makes his noon report. It's the extraneous Bingo, art auction, etc. announcements that have ceased.

Hmm, well there were definitely multiple bingo announcements on board my sailing and I'm pretty sure there were art auction announcements too included in the CD's once- or twice-daily report of what's happening around the ship...

I have still noticed them on the few short cruises (3 night) I have been on, but none on most of the longer cruises (a few exceptions, sigh) Necessary announcements are still made.

To be kept in the "loop" all you have to do is read the Cruise Compass you get in your room everynight and the wayfinders on the ships that have them.

Edited by Firefighterhoop

We were on Explorer in October and the CD made the most annoying announcements (to us that is) not just about events on the ship that were imminent but he then went on to read the daily cruise compass out completely, he did this in the afternoon as well, there were a few groans around us from the other cruisers. From what I recall there were also art auction announcements too.